Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• joujoujou wrote: »
    Don't know if you'll achieve what you want, have no experience with nest at all.

Just FYI: these are all FineOffset stations, with disputable reliability. Additionally that particular one has integrated sensor unit, so if you install it high enough to have proper wind readings, temperature and rain likely won't be reallistic, and maintenance/battery replacement will be difficult. If placed lower (say 2 metres above the ground level) wind readings will be compromised.

And here's the link to the same item, in English, by the way:

https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p287_froggit-wh3000-se-wifi-internet-app-weather-station.html

Yes, I also have one of those integrated sensor stations and I have experienced the same issues, to get rain measurements that are anyway realistic the wind measurements are well down due to the sheltered location. I will get a system with separate sensors next time, I expect this one will be programmed to self destruct soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

joujoujou wrote: »
    Don't know if you'll achieve what you want, have no experience with nest at all.

Just FYI: these are all FineOffset stations, with disputable reliability. Additionally that particular one has integrated sensor unit, so if you install it high enough to have proper wind readings, temperature and rain likely won't be reallistic, and maintenance/battery replacement will be difficult. If placed lower (say 2 metres above the ground level) wind readings will be compromised.

And here's the link to the same item, in English, by the way:

https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p287_froggit-wh3000-se-wifi-internet-app-weather-station.html

Thanks for that. Any recommendations for a PWS suitable for a beginner that can link to wunderground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

The fine offset ones are good for beginners, I've had one for 4 1/2 years and only had to replace one component due to corrosion of the contacts.

I could separate the components of my station but I've settled for a compromise , 3.5m off the ground and 13m away from the house. I can live with this as I'm more interested in comparing records and overall trends than getting the same as met eireann. I can just download ME's data anyway :-P

Don't know about nest, but I'd make sure that the one you can be connected up locally to a PC/RPi etc so you can script some of the stuff yourself, of at least have a local copy of your records

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm pretty sure it's not the station that would (or not) limit wunderground capability, it's the software it uses.

Take a look what stations Cumulus will support, what your needs are, what budget and ask. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's not the station that would (or not) limit wunderground capability, it's the software it uses.

Take a look what stations Cumulus will support, what your needs are, what budget and ask. :)

That's what I was trying to get at, but I hadn't had my coffee :-)
    That station uploads to wunderground directly through a WiFi connection. If there was a USB connection the op had the possibility of using other software like weewx that uploads to wundergriund, wow.met.UK, your own website, and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather avoid stations you have no control over what it uploads and where. ;)

• joujoujou wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather avoid stations you have no control over what it uploads and where. ;)
    In the settings menu of station, I can choose where to send the data, after all you do need to add your Wunderground account to upload to it.

Whether or not it is also uploading to another site "incognito" I do not know, but given the way Chinese electronics work, it's possible( but very unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hi guys,

Im finally going to be buying a small weather station (limited budget) and after researching a bit I found 2 potential candidate and wanted to know if any one had experience on those and which is best?

Aercus Instruments WS1093
    Aercus Instruments WS2083

Both I believe use EasyWeather which means Cumulus should also work...

Thanks in advance!

Take it no one has those? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

They’ll do the job for you
    Spend the extra tenner
    The rain gauge will only record each 0.3mm as opposed to 0.2mm on the more expensive ones
    The thermometer and housing will be more sensitive to island heating in a back garden than a more expensive unit,so make sure you place it in as airy and exposed place as you have available
    Wind speed and probably direction data will be useless if your garden is very enclosed as again you’ll have a manufactured climate there but the mid level Davis vue would have the same problem at 3 times the price

The negative reviews on both of your weather stations could be wrote about an expensive Davis
    I don’t know of any weather station console that wirelessly transmits to a pc for example

There’s a dedicated weather station thread here so maybe you could post how you get on in that or the mods could merge this one into it.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    There’s a dedicated weather station thread here so maybe you could post how you get on in that or the mods could merge this one into it.

Thanks! Didnt know there was one sorry...

Just to add,that station is small enough to be mounted on a lattice tower ( a support for your washing line like ;) ) which would help with wind speed and direction a bit for you and probably help against the island temperature environment

Main thread is HERE

Great, i'll repost there too unless a mod can merge into the thread?

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Great, i'll repost there too unless a mod can merge into the thread?

Just link to this thread in it
    I'll report your thread asking for a merge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Just link to this thread in it
    I'll report your thread asking for a merge

Mod Note: Threads Merged :)

I've one for a while now ws2083. It does the job!
    On the mobile now, but search for ws2083 on this thread and you'll find more details. Basically I have an RPI connected to it full time sending its data to several weather websites including my own. Weather.whitehillenv.com
    Any specific Q's just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this one from Lidl (don't snigger) worth a punt for the casual user like myself

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/stylish-spaces/radio-controlled-weather-station/p24390

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

looks like the Ascot one I have had for years. Worth the money. I have no problems with it.

fryup wrote: »
    is this one from Lidl (don't snigger) worth a punt for the casual user like myself

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/stylish-spaces/radio-controlled-weather-station/p24390

It will only give you the pressure, temperature and humidity. (No wind or rain measurements) you can't store historic records which I like doing.

But, if that's all you want it seems good value

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

KAGY wrote: »
    It will only give you the pressure, temperature and humidity. (No wind or rain measurements) you can't store historic records which I like doing.

do aldi/lidl sell stations with wind & rain measurements? if so...any good?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    do aldi/lidl sell stations with wind & rain measurements? if so...any good?

Don't think I've ever seen one, they'd need to have the "3 cups" anemometer. I'm sure that it'd be as good a quality as my €100 one
    Like this one (over priced on that link)
    https://www.greenfrogscientific.co.uk/aercus-instruments-ws2083-pro-wireless-weather-station/

Same one on aliexpress € 64,26 22%OFF | Professional Wireless Weather Station with PC connection, weather forecast, wind speed, rain guage
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/oXn35ooY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just wondering if anyone can help me,have a maplin Gadget wireless weather station with easyweather software.Anyway it won't read rainfall anymore,it just keeps saying 0.00 the whole time on the screen,I had a look at the rain gauge itself to see could it be blocked or something and can't find any problems,just wondering could it be a sensor problem and if there is any place to get parts for this station

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just wondering if anyone can help me,have a maplin Gadget wireless weather station with easyweather software.Anyway it won't read rainfall anymore,it just keeps saying 0.00 the whole time on the screen,I had a look at the rain gauge itself to see could it be blocked or something and can't find any problems,just wondering could it be a sensor problem and if there is any place to get parts for this station
    Could be the Reed switch on the circuit board that is shot.
    Any issues I had with my rain gauges over the years was due to a broken Reeds.
    They can be replaced but you need to be good at soldering and have a steady hand. I’d imagine you could get a replacement circuit board which would be a lot easier to change.

• rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks for sharing info.

I'm looking for a PWS that does all the basic things but needs to have wind and UV sensor reports.
    Reporting / uploading to online site nice feature too.
    Rechargeable batteries nice one but I can run a cable and get a AC adapter.
    A webcam incorporated or added as a second feature will be nice.

Found a nice Acurite Atlas station, does all the things I want...
    Main issue that I found so far is that the wireless frequency is not approved for use in EU but rather only US.
    Someone said that is illegal and it could affect some GSM band devices.

Their website is not accessible from EU either so I found some video :

What options do I have, please !?
    No budget set in my mind, quite flexible here..

Thanks
    One year later, this particular device is still unavailable in the EU, they are selling on ebay for about €350-400 from US sellers, as the radio link uses an unapproved frequency, there is a risk of it being stopped by customs.

I am now looking for another station as the current one has expired, have to decide whether I can afford to invest in something more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats the one I want as well, but the frequency is an issue.

Edit: Certainly in the UK, it isn't just an "unapproved" frequency, its actually illegal to use. Clashes with the mobile bandwidth, I think.

2 points
    Customs wont be reading the frequencies small print or have a list of banned frequencies
    It's only 50 to 100 metres broadcast signal inside your garden

If you want that weather station, my advice is to order it tbh

• Mortelaro wrote: »
    2 points
    Customs wont be reading the frequencies small print or have a list of banned frequencies

I wouldn't be too sure of that, a couple of years ago I bought a WI-Fi extender on Ebay, it was stopped at customs and the device sent for analysis to verify it was compliant. One Month later it was sent on to me.

I wouldn't be too sure of that, a couple of years ago I bought a WI-Fi extender on Ebay, it was stopped at customs and the device sent for analysis to verify it was compliant. One Month later it was sent on to me.

Hmmmm, I can understand a wifi extender,its a blatant broadcasting device
    A weather station wouldn't raise that flag surely?

• Mortelaro wrote: »
    2 points

I did a bit of digging and found this site,
    https://the-gadgeteer.com/2018/11/04/acurite-atlas-weather-station-review/
    it appears that it uses the 433 MHz band, this is the 70cm amateur radio band that is also used by low powered devices such as remote door openers.
    So I don't see the frequency being an issue, maybe it fails on harmonics or something.

• Advertisement

Is it banned EU wide or just the UK&Ireland ?

Advertisement