Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 4 PC version first details.

• 29-04-2009 12:42am
    Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Seth Killian over on the capcom unity blog has revealed the first details about the PC version of SF IV.

Firstly its a Game for Windows Live title. This leaves the possibility that it will have cross platform compatability with the Xbox 360 version. It also means it will have the same achievements as the consoles.

The game will have in-game voice chat.
    Supports higher resolutions than the console or arcade versions.

Has 4 graphics shader modes.
    Normal which is the same as arcade and the consoles.
    Poster Shader.
    Sumi-E Shader.
    Watercooler Shader.

Event Hubs has the details.
    http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/apr/28/pc-sfiv-will-have-alternative-shaders-voice-chat-and-achievements/

Release date is rumored to be July but confirmation will come this Friday the 1st of May.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Azza wrote: »
    Firstly its a Game for Windows Live title. This leaves the possibility that it will have cross platform compatability with the Xbox 360 version. It also means it will have the same achievements as the consoles.

This is actually bad news, as its actually going to be more likley now that us PC gamers are going to be stuck with the dodgy dumbed down online match making system of the console versions.

Online should be done the way most other P2P style games are done on the PC. Look at supreme commander or other RTS's, look at GGPO and 2df, those emulators base their online match making system on the way RTS games work on the PC. A main chat room area where everyone online can chat, with their names and countries flags listed at the side of the screen, where you can select and challenge them. Plus a button on the bottom to search for ranked games against others who are searching.

Achievements? Bah, waste of time, I'll never understand people who are into this stuff. Oh wow I performed a spin kick 3 times during a match, heres a spin kick icon. Yay! .....

Make the online work RIGHT, add replays ffs, don't concentrate on achievements :(.

In-game voice chat? what about text chat.

Bah! (Sorry negitive post but I've put a lot of hope into the PC version)

**EDIT**

They better fckin display PING and not some dumbed down bars GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its been confirmed by a Capcom employee on the Capcom-Unity boards that the PC version will not have cross platform compatability with the Xbox 360.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/14386778/Gamestop_announces_SFIV_for_PC_will_be_released_GFWL_why_no_announcement_here?num=10&pg=1

Gamespot preview here.
    http://www.gamespot.com/events/capcom09/story.html?sid=6208696&tag=top_stories;story;4

Does not sound like much off an improvement. Looks like Capcom want PC users to pay for DLC as well instead of bundling it in. :(

mother****ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Looks like i'll be buying it for the PS3 now, the shaders and the higher Rez just dont seem worth the smaller community and paying for DLC.

Heh one things for sure, dispite it not looking like it'll be anywhere near as good as it should be, it'll still be the best version of the game cause its on the PC.

What good is a bigger community when you can't even connect to half of them (speaking as someone who bought a ps3 cause I couldnt wait to play it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Bloody hell not that Window Live rubbish :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Creature wrote: »
    Bloody hell not that Window Live rubbish :mad:
    Don't really see any drawbacks apart from having to sign up to an account. Never had any issues with the service myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Does windows live allow you to play online without paying, or is it just an online marketplace for the free account?
    Because the xbox version doesn't.

It wouldn't bother me because I already have the xbox live gold account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Does windows live allow you to play online without paying, or is it just an online marketplace for the free account?
    Because the xbox version doesn't.

It wouldn't bother me because I already have the xbox live gold account.
    You can play for free, Xbox Gold account or not.

If you have a Live account already you can just sign in, if not you'll have to create one. If you have a hotmail or MSN account you can just sign in with that. Its kinda nice from a Xbox user's perspective because I'm essentially signing into my Xbox account it'll show all my friends etc from that and what they're playing.

Jim wrote: »
    Don't really see any drawbacks apart from having to sign up to an account. Never had any issues with the service myself.

I was extremely pissed off with GTAIV PC online, it could have easily been much better, but no...

• Advertisement

More details on the PC version over at capcom unity forumds and more bad news.

It will use the same netcode as the console versions which is a wasted opportunity so it looks like we won't see any improvement on the input delay system of the consoles.

The reason for no cross-platform compatability where cited as cost and time. They implied the effort would simply be not worth factor in the cost of developing it, then ensuring both formats are locked down and in sync with each other which would result in time delays on patches etc. They also stated it would of pushed back the PC's release even further.

Game will be released digitally on Steam and Stardocks Impluse service.

Retail release will use SecuROM as DRM, its not clear if they where will be activation limits, although a Capcom moderator on the unity forums has stated he believes that SF IV PC will not have any activation limits, anyway Capcoms previous titles have not used activation limits in the past. Steam version will not use SecuROM as DRM. You will not be able to register a retail copy on Steam. To play online a Games for Windows key is needed regardless of where you got the game from.

Capcom have stated as well that the game will support DirectX 9 and 10.
    Since the Xbox 360 version had anti aliasing and consider the engine is known to support anti-aliasing in other PC game (Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet) you can pretty much assume the game will have anti-aliasing support for the eye candy junkies.

The game will have mouse and keyboard support. Being a Game For Windows Live title means its required to support the Xbox 360 controller. Getting any other controller should be a piece of cake. The offical Madcatz pads and stick work on the PC version regardless of weather they are PS3 or Xbox 360. Having said that the planned fightstick/fightpad with game bundle will not be made available in Europe.

Release date is July 2nd for Japan and an unknown July date for the rest of the world. Gamespot has reported the release date for PAL regions is July 3rd.

Outstanding questions are as follows.

What replay system will the PC version get, one modelled off the PS3 or Xbox 360 or its own system.
    Will there be an ingame chat lobby for online play.
    Will we have any more matching making criteria if the the online matching making system is the same.?
    Will the game have ping numbers rather than a bar system?
    Will the game support 16:10 resolutions and if they do will they use letterboxing to preserve the correct field of view?

Oh can a moderator move this to the fighting game forum!

cheers for the update and yes, this should be moved now we've got a fighting game section!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i for one am glad that a fighting game is to be released on the pc. i do believe the last one i played that was developed by a top party was one virtua fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Looking foward to it, I don't have a ps3 or a xbox360.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Minimum
    CPU: Intel Pentium4 2.0GHz or higher
    RAM: 1GB or higher
    HDD: 10GB of free space or more
    Video Card: DirectX 9.0c/Shader3.0 or higher compatible, NVIDIA GeForce6600 series, ATI Radeon(TM) X1600 or higher or higher, VRAM :256MB or higher
    Sound: DirectSound compatible, DirectX 9.0c (or higher) compatible
    Input Devices: Mouse, Keyboard
    Maximum
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz or higher
    RAM: 2GB or higher
    HDD: 10GB of free space or more
    Video Card: DirectX 9.0c/Shader3.0 or higher compatible, NVIDIA GeForce8600 series or higher, ATI Radeon(TM) X 1900 or higher, VRAM :512MB or higher
    Sound: DirectSound compatible, DirectX 9.0c (or higher) compatible
    Input Devices: Gamepad :Xbox360 Controller for Windows

wtf? its a 2d/3d game with backgrounds pre rendered!!!

i smell a shoddy port tbh and the usual over compensating.

Im fine but thats mental for a fighting game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

meh specs look alright to me. pretty much the norm for any high profile game released within the last year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Those specs are lower than the Taito X2.

Heh... "only PC fighter of the last decade".
    *cough*MeltyBlood/EternalFighterZero/GuiltyGear*cough*

meh specs look alright to me. pretty much the norm for any high profile game released within the last year or so

Do you have it for 360? its not a high spec game, its a game.

Imo on 360 its an Arcade game , dress it up how you like but Devs should be able to make that game in 500mb or less.

Putting it on dvd gets the €50

System requirements are not that high look right about the norm for recent releases. The only thing is the install size is bigger than expected but what is 10GB nowadays on PC.

The background are not static pre-rendered backgrounds. If you played the game you will notice they are dynamic 3D backgrounds that background characters can interact with, signs can fall down, trains passing by as well as aircraft wings being knocked off with by a tiger uppercut and generally people moving in and and around objects etc. Granted the install size is big but the console versions do not have to worry about storing several different types of quality textures for each background and character etc. We also won't have to endure long load times because the other PS3 user we are playing against has not done the optional install.

What is it these days with people and jumping on the shoddy port bandwagon. Wait till the release and the reviews are out before jumping to conclusions. Nothing would seem to indicate that this game is looking like a bad port (or Bionic Commando or Resident Evil 5). Nothing is majorly improved but in no way shoddy, all the right and important requirements are ticked. As for the opinion that the game should be under 500mb, I think the developers would tell you to jump off a cliff.

First look at Capcoms recent track record on the PC.

Capcoms reputation on the PC took a hammering ever since the crap ports of Devil May Cry 3 and Resident Evil 4 and and there is a perception that all Capcoms titles are crap on PC. All due to two ports Capcom did not even make, Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3 got outsourced to SourceNext and published by Ubisoft on the PC . If you played the more recent Capcom games like Lost Planet: Colonies Edition and Devil May Cry 4 which where handled by Capcom internally you would know the PC versions are actually slightly better than the console versions (regardless what you think of gameplay). Capcom also joined the PCGA and have been making generally positive noises about the PC platform on the whole lately, they see the platform as very important to them in the Asian market and have only recently put in significant effort to develop all of its major titles on that platform. Now a days almost all titles Capcom make will end up on PC (Bionic Commando, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising 2, Devil Mary Cry 4, Lost Planet 1 and 2 etc) Also the very fact that they released all the information below in numerous forum and blog posts indicate they are taking the PC version seriously.

What is know about the PC version is this. Below have all been confirmed by Capcom themsleves.

It will support the mouse and keyboard, because any game released on the PC without this gets hammered by gamers even if the game is unsuited to that control system, all offical pads and fight sticks work with the PC version. You have so many control options on the PC its not funny.

It will allow tweaking of textures and filters.
    Ajustable quality settings for the character models, backgrounds, shadows, motion blur and particles.
    It will have an adjustable aspect ratio, (very important to keep the field of view correct, regardless of your monitor aspect ratio)
    http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/may/15/pc-requirements-street-fighter-iv/
    It will support anti-aliasing(another thing pc gamers seem to go nuts about if its not included).
    It will support DX 9 and DX 10.
    It will have an optional real time FPS counter to help you ensure the game runs at 60fps which is extremely important.
    3 PC exclusive graphic rendering modes (Default, Sumi-E (Ink), Poster and Watercolor modes)
    http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/may/14/pc-street-fighter-4-video-shader-comparison/
    http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/apr/28/pc-sfiv-will-have-alternative-shaders-voice-chat-and-achievements/
    Supports higher resolution than the consoles which was 720p. (exact resolutions are not confirmed by you can at least expect 1080p,1920x1200 and more than likely 2560x1600 judging from previous Capcom PC titles)
    The Championship mode DLC will be included with the game.
    Will use Games For Windows Live.
    Will not support cross platform compability with Xbox 360 users. Reasons given in link below.
    http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/may/05/svensson-why-sf4-wont-have-cross-platform-play/
    Achievements are supported on the PC version. Not sure if they are the same as the console ones or are PC specific.
    All unlockables (characters, icons, titles, bonus material) are included and unlocked the same way.
    All gameplay modes from the console versions are included and remain unchanged.
    Netcode used is the same as consoles.
    Will support in game voice chat.
    Retail copies will use SecuROM As DRM but will not require online activation or have any activation limits.
    Digital distrubition DRM is dependent on which distabutor you buy from. The Steam version will use standard Steam DRM for example.
    Game will be sold on all major digital distrubtion platforms. Steam, GamersGate, Impulse, Direct2Drive, Capcom Store, Nivida Store, Gametap, Metiboli etc
    European release date is July 3rd with a recommended retail price of €39.99 for both retail and digital distrabution. (Capcom have stated one of the reasons why the price remains the same on digital distrabution and not cheaper than retail is that if they undercut retailers, the retailers won't stock their games which is something many have long suspected). http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/may/13/sven-explains-pc-digital-releases-and-sf4-stuff/

The 5 costume pack DLC's are expected to be offered as a single bundle on Game For Windows Live Market place. Expect a price of €9.99-12.99

The DLC will almost certainly be on the disc to ensure you can see the alturnate costumes even if you don't own them.

The Game/offical fightpad bundle is not available in Europe but you order it online from the Capcom store. Capcom have admited it will be expensive to do so when shipping is factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It must have felt like living in a cave before you found EventHubs eh, Azza?

• Advertisement

Most of the information I got from other sites but eventhubs usually posts up the same news shortly after. Off the top of my head I could not remember where all these annoucemnts where made, and I wasn't arsed searching through the Capcom Unity forums etc but I new the links would be easy to find on eventhubs.

I just find it irratating that people look for the slighest possible excuse to cry "crap port", which often (but not always) is used as an excuse for piracy. Granted not everyone has time to check all this stuff on the internet as they do have lives in fairness :), I personally have a particular interest in this game so I did so eagerly. But if a game interests and you have concerns about DRM or worried it will be crappy port, don't just make assumptions, do some research.

Azza wrote: »
    Most of the information I got from other sites but eventhubs usually posts up the same news shortly after. Off the top of my head I could not remember where all these annoucemnts where made, and I wasn't arsed searching through the Capcom Unity forums etc but I new the links would be easy to find on eventhubs.

I just find it irratating that people look for the slighest possible excuse to cry "crap port", which often (but not always) is used as an excuse for piracy. Granted not everyone has time to check all this stuff on the internet as they do have lives in fairness :), I personally have a particular interest in this game so I did so eagerly. But if a game interests and you have concerns about DRM or worried it will be crappy port, don't just make assumptions, do some research.

Research suggest all capcom PC games are ridicously over compensated, its a fighting game :eek:

Crysis is eye candy with heavy sys req. SF4 shouldnt be, as i said i am fine i can play crysis in "enthusiast" but i still think its over compensating it shouldnt be that high.

Still gonna buy it tho have 2 Ps2 Hori stick that i play SF with on PC and coudnt justify forking out for more fighting sticks for xbox.

Advertisement