Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR: The Walking Dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

interesting :)

“The zombies in Fear the Walking Dead are not going to be as decayed, and they’re not going to be as monstrous, which is going to make the violence in the show and the different things that happen that much more startling.

“Because we’re going to be dealing with a much more human walker. So while there is going to be a tremendous amount of paranoia and psychological trauma, I think there’s not going to be any loss of zombie action or excitement in this show.

“We’ll be bringing in the best of both worlds.” Robert Kirkman

https://uk.beamly.com/tv-news/fear-walking-dead-spoiler-walkers-spin-show-going-human/?utm_source=facebookads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ftwd_19may

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just watched the first episode there, it's alright, very slow pace for the pilot but it's exactly how it should be imo

fairly decent acting, but not TWD, not yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well we liked it. they are playing on the 'normalcy bias' of people. so a family so locked up in its own issues doesnt really notice or as generally is the case want to notice that 'something' is wrong.

WARNING SPOILERS!!!!

i did like how the number of police sirens increased as the show went on and the missing kids fliers, missing down and outs, stumbling down and outs etc.

the pimple kid obviously picking up from the interweb the truth while the media was hiding it. it looks like the police are trying to contain it, yet some officers are obviously concerned as the leaked video releases is a way of trying to warn the population. there is concern but its a background noise at the moment but inching forward. they are obviously playing the 'boiled frog' scenario IMHO. also the flu has hit 5 states...nothing about a worldwide flu epidemic (wasnt that mentioned in TWD?), so the question remains is it currently just the US and by implication a terrorist/government/accidental run event. there also seems to be a flu shot, so not sure yet what that means.

regarding the school flu and less and less arriving, are the kids kept at home or have they turned with their families and are simply locked in their houses at home waiting to burst out by the tens of thousands when the levee finally breaks? i am guessing the latter...there will be an explosion of them as the 'flu' reaches a critical mass in the coming weeks. it will be everywhere 'all of a sudden'.

also i am guessing the scene with the pimple kid sort of sulking in the bus and the wave by whats her face, the teacher is a kind of tacit acknowledgement that 'all is not well', but she cant see it yet

also they treated the druggie guy who saw his girlfriend eating someone as a mental case. so the question arises is a lot of attacks hidden because the hospitals are treating people saying they saw attacks the same way.

also the hospital was clearly under pressure as seen by the doctors on the internal monitor and the dismissive way the nurse dealt with the parents and it looked like the guy could not get a response initially on his phone, so is the police system totally stretched?.

i suspect the death of the drug dealer is the tipping point in LA for the walkers appearing. i am guessing they have eaten all the easy prey, druggies, down and outs and are now about the turn on the general population.

the old guy dying is also a hint, i read on another website that LA has 1,500 normal deaths a day. so the walkers naturally increase by 1,500 every 24 hours from now on even before they feed or people die from the flu. thats also not counting the 5 states...

the other thing i liked was the police response to a car accident, 2 choppers, multiple police cars and bikes. so it does look like the police are barely coping and have no real knowledge as shown by the headshot comment by the girl viewing the video on her phone.

its done really well, there is the usual 'unease' that TWD has.

finally apparently the largest viewership in cable history for a pilot, 10.1 million.

i was surprised, the main actor is not a guy i rate highly and i groaned when i heard he got the FTWD spot but to be fair he is good in this at least so far.

so overall a thumbs up from my missus and me...gonna watch it again tonight to see what we missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

When is this on sky?

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    When is this on sky?

not sure, it should be on FX by now

Jesus, that second episode was deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't like it. The mother character (blonde lady), I find her extremely annoying. At this point I couldn't care less if they all get eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 groovy123

Sorry to jump on the thread newbie here.

I love walking dead and cant get enough of fear the walking dead either would highly recommend to walking dead fans.

Its just same premise, zombies are there mainly to force characters into situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

that link doesnt work, and i really really hope it's not a link to something illegal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 groovy123

cant get link to work please repost it

• Advertisement

it's probably because the "****" in the link is a censored word - though, again i have to stress that it better not be a link to anything illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

i will watch season 2, but the acting is poor IMHO, never rated the guy who starred in the main role.

spoiler warning***

its good but nowhere near as good as it could have been. i think they made a mistake with 6 episodes, they need more IMHO...and ala season 6 episode 1...wheres the millions of zombies...surely all of LA should have headed to the well lit up compound once they finish dining on the residents....??

some nice hints in it, the military breaking down, the overworked soldiers, the solidier going AWOL etc...people not having a clue...hoping they kill off some of the main actors season 2 episode 1....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Are these mini episodes? And where do y'all watch em?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

is that it ? only six episodes has [had] great potential

Enjoyed it all the way through, hope it does continue on for another season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

I just finished watching this and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

spatchco wrote: »
    is that it ? only six episodes has [had] great potential

Season 1 of the The Walking Dead only had 6 esp also 6 seasons later and its still great. Consider season 1 more of a toe in the water test

*Possible spoilers*

Finally got around to watching it, The first 4 episodes were excellent. Subtle tension getting ramped up constantly. The slow decline in services, the inevitable civil unrest. It all seemed very real and peoples reactions were believable. The characters were also interesting, junkies divorcees and a slick snake oil salesman.

But then I think it kind of lost the run of itself. Why is it that in every zombie film / series the military are always lead by a narcissist / immoral/ incompetent psycho meaning that the government or military usually end up being the nefarious antagonists to run alongside the zombie threat.

It's getting tired. As is the constant pretense in the majority of films where the universe has never heard of a 'zombie' or infected. "You have to shoot them in the head" , "oh really?? Wow, thanks!".

*Possible spoilers*

Finally got around to watching it, The first 4 episodes were excellent. Subtle tension getting ramped up constantly. The slow decline in services, the inevitable civil unrest. It all seemed very real and peoples reactions were believable. The characters were also interesting, junkies divorcees and a slick snake oil salesman.

But then I think it kind of lost the run of itself. Why is it that in every zombie film / series the military are always lead by a narcissist / immoral/ incompetent psycho meaning that the government or military usually end up being the nefarious antagonists to run alongside the zombie threat.

It's getting tired. As is the constant pretense in the majority of films where the universe has never heard of a 'zombie' or infected. "You have to shoot them in the head" , "oh really?? Wow, thanks!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Looking forward to season 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is this back sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

Is this back sunday?

Yup it's back Sunday in the states not sure when it airs here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

T17cH wrote: »
    Yup it's back Sunday in the states not sure when it airs here.

Great timing seeing as the walking dead just ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

Great timing seeing as the walking dead just ended.

I'd say it's timed that way on purpose alrite, helps fill the gap between seasons I suppose.

the mini series on youtube is pretty sweet. 16 episodes of 30 seconds. if you recall at one point the druggie kid, Nick, looked up to see a plane in deep trouble...well the webispodes are based on that flight and the passengers and how as the plane moved from city to city to try and land only to find all the airports closed and widespread power grid failures.

the rumour mill is that some of the people on the plane survive and team up with those on the abigail. we can only hope.

¬¬SPOLIERS s2e1¬¬
    i have to say i was disappointed with the beginning of season 2. one good thing is we now have a sort of a timeline. the end phases, im guessing of oeration cobalt where the army fell back abandoning positions in the cities, was to firebomb them and thereby hopefully kill the massive numbers of walkers that now exist there. in TWD Shane and team had a flashback where he talked about how they saw parts of atlanta burn as a result of military choppers. I guess the hint is this is also part of the same firebombing plan, except here, its LA. intresting that atlanta had to use choppers while LA used jets, perhaps implying the military is running out of resources. (so i guess the timeline is this episod is sort of kind of 2-3 weeks after Rick in TWD was in his coma.)
    some nice touches are the impending doom is also confirmed on the radio when the coast guard says in fear, that everyone is on their own, there is no help. So it looks like a total systemic collapse.

they are using some of the tricks from TWD, at one point alaica listening to the radio hears a lady talking about how they are being boarded, i guess the implication is ; this is the the shot up boat they come across that the pirates raided and who alicia blabbed the location of the abigail to.

Now the bad news, i have absolutely no attachment to most of the characters. the parents (Madison and Travis) need to go IMHO to save this show. i really think the actors are poor, something that worried me when the guy was picked to star in the role. the 2 moody kids (alicia and Chris) are really over cooking the teenage agnst and i have to say its getting tiring. i do like Strand, the guy who owns the boat (possible huge back story there with new world order potential/military industrial comples, it appears he knew something was coming and prepared), and the ever classic super suspicious Daniel (rueben blades, one of the most underrated actos in hollywood IMHO) and his daughter. strangely the druggie guy Nick is also one of the more likable characters.

As my wife keeps pointing out, you have to remember this is the beginning of the 'walkers' .Even now there is things they do right (Strand leaving the boatful of survivors with the absolute classic line, if im stoppping this boat it will be to drop people off (LOL, we can only hope!) and strangely Travis agreeing with him for the right reason. ALso the dead exwife has already warned them everyone turns, something RIck and pals didnt find out until the CDC. But then the stupid **** arrives, swimming to a boat shot up by i guess the pirates alicia has contacted. i dont care how hormonal you are as a teen, if the dead walk the earth (which is pretty strange even for a teen) , you dont swim to a boat with loads of them there, that makes absolutely no sense. okay i get it they have to write some tension, but there are lots of ways of doing that far far better IMHO.

we will continue to watch it simply because we love 'Z' stories but if ever you needed to see the difference between good actors and bad watch TWD and then FTWD. the difference is striking.

I do sometimes sigh at the huge potential lost with Fear. here was a absolute diamond encrusted 18 carat golden opportunity to really back fill the TWD series (and the rumoured TWD UK, TWD Korea, TWD Aussie etc etc) and i think they stumbled at the first hurdle in season 1 and this looks (admittingly only 1 episode) that season 2 is going to continue the shoelace tripping exercise. even the way this episode started looked rushed. jesus one scene of jets rocking the house and bombs going off would have clarified it. i only noticed jets when the subtitles mentioned them, up to that point i was assuming it was the fire raging in the city we saw in series 1 or i had missed part of the programme at the beginning. so many really annoying bits that dont make any sense. leaving 3 people on the beach but take the only pistol you have to the boat that has no one on it. huh, oh cmon, they have seen 2,000 walkers swarn the troops a day ago, had to execute the ex wife becasue of a bite and with the city burinng and walkers everywhere they say 'yeah sure, you take the only pistol, im grand here waiting on the beach IN THE DARK, seriously WTF! That makes no sense and you dont have to be a member of a zombie board to see that.
    The fantastic bit of TWD is there is always tension, you dont need to manfacture stupid **** (ignoring the farm episodes that is).

At this point i am on team zombie to eat 70% of the boat crew and throw in some newbies...just for gods sake, writers, let the walkers eat the millenials and gen x people so we can get back to some real Z action rather then some sullen moody teens who are angry at the world cos the wifi is down or the latest vegan dinner is not available.

My final moan is how much advertisment do we need to see about the radio, okay i get it, its a great radio, its a great battery and is super clear, i got it, but jesus i dont need to see 50,000 close ups of a ****ing radio and this after just lobbing us into the LA burning scene at the start with no explaination. close ups of a radio for several scenes, yep thats in but levelling LA, well, not so much. having said that the radio acting was on par with the parents.

if we are truly lucky the asian lady who kicked ass on the plane will appear to save the day.

so my vote goes to kick the parents and 2 of the teens off the boat and into a mass of walkers, because acting as walkers is about where they are at.

obviously just my opinion.

watched episode 3 ...way way better, was actually very impressed with it. some great twists and turns, good story, definitely a lot better. it also ties in with the you tube mini series so if you havent watched that you would need to beforehand...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Honestly care absolutely zero for any character. In fact, i'm just watching in the hope they all die interesting deaths, which is sadly lacking so far.

have to say Wabbit...from your lips to the ears of God. This show is IMHO in serious trouble. i would be amazed if AMC are not murmerring cancellation...lets hope not. the story line is all over the place, the writing is terrible and the acting even worse. The missus and myself had this vain hope there was some super secret 'thing' going to happen (ala Sophia in TWD..more on this in a second)...well the answer to that after this half series...is a resounding nope, they have zilch, zero ...nada. some spoilers ahead so be warned.
    The death of Daniel made absolutely no sense, in fact in our view he was one of the few who could (a) act (b) was interesting (c) kinda understood what was happening to the world and capable of surviving. Then in an episode we are introduced to the haunted by his previous life Daniel...who hears voices, and decides to atone for his sins by burning what eventually becomes the whole compound down. Huh? out of nowhere all this sort of happens.
    as for Madison and Travis..Jesus will AMC just kill these pair off already. the actor who was chosen for Travis was always with me a 'oh crap...really' choice but when he is made to look like he is at Willem Defoe levels of acting skill compared to Madison...you have issues. Ah, yes-- Madison. We now have 'the Madison look'..its simple coz there is only 1, a weird jaw jut out mixture of bored/could not be arsed/why am i here, yawn, just another zombie apocalypse look. Surely, I jest, unfortunately no, When, you ask does she have this look, well it would appear always; post coital, pre hammer of a Z, using a fire extinguisher on a Z, loosing her son look, nearly eaten look or lost on a boat or stuck in a compound...same look..always. Jesus AMC save yourself a fortune and just get a cardboard cutout of her and move it around the set. This from the actress who apparently has said to the writers she wants to be the new Rick in Fear. Wow, just wow. At this point if AMC just decided to restart again with a new storyline and actors and ask us all to forget this series...hands up who would go for that...fairly sure our household would have 2 hands up as a start.
    Nick the druggie is interesting but then at the end is the 'walkabout' ala Crocodile Dundee among the zombies , for, well no particular reason other than, what looked like 'im bored'...well Nick ole buddy you aint the only one.
    As for the perma goth like depression of Travis' son who just decides to kidnap a kid to prove he isnt insane, er, what?. he is so boring and bland i cant even recall his name after 1.5 seasons and quite frankly could not be bothered to do an IMDB lookup.
    Then we have Strand, who at the beginning was interesting but now appears to be there as nothing more than a way of filling in a series of tick boxes for the perma-aggrieved tweeting classes.
    The writing is bad -- actually no, the writing is terrible and needs the TWD team that arrived (wasnt it after the farm series?) to revitalise this car crash of a series. AMC needs to do a serious amount of bumping off of characters in this show. The one interesting person was the woman from the plane crash but they seemed to have skipped that option, that was a bad mistake.
    For a comparison my wife mentioned this: remember the acting at the farm (again whats some TWDers consider a weak season) when Shane decided to break open the doors to the barn, Rick begging him not to, then Shane shoots them in the chest to prove a point to Herschel? remember when Sophia appearaed and Rick got the task to shoot her...that was a superbly acted, truly awful scene...with a message not rarely shown, particularly on US screens...namely, even kids die here. Now compare that to this episode on Fear. The comparison is stark.
    They need to begin the cull in Fear and they have the rest of the season to do it in. if they dont, this series is toast and i might add has hobbled what was supossed to be a huge franchise opportunity for AMC.
    on a personal note, i always know in a cinema when im bored in a cinema..i look at the ceiling tiles and wonder, how does someone get up there to replace a tile, that must be a huge ladder, who holds that ladder, is it some massive crane but how do they get up the steps or do they just paint them black or are they made that way? In our house, the ceiling tile moment has well and truly arrived with Fear... any time either us wants to check our kids, take a break, in TWD the pause key is pressed or if it isnt there is a rewind, no discussion, to quote Judge Dredd,,'ITS DA LAW!'. .in Fear that is not happening and hasnt for a while, if we miss parts now, its like...naaah...dont matter...and to be honest have you missed some critical part or scene...the answer with Fear is a resounding no. If we, as hard core zombie watchers are at this level, i suspect millions of others, with no such committment, have moved on as well and worse...are unlikely to return.

again just an opinion...yours may differ etc...

• Advertisement

I've lost all interest in this since it turned into exactly what TWD is with other actors.

Season 1 was good, but i dont think i'll be watching it again if it gets a new season

Advertisement