Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lazy Eye / Amblyopia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

have you found out anymore about this? i have a consultation next tuesday but i believe i have this.... i dont wear glasses or contacts but i have very poor vision in 1 eye, so im not sure if i am a suitable candidate for lazer

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Is your consultation in Ireland or the UK?

I have amblyopia in my right eye and its affecting my career prospects so im looking for miracles right now :o

my consultation is in cork at a lazer eye clinic, i'll let u know how i get on and what options are available

ondarack wrote: »
    my consultation is in cork at a lazer eye clinic, i'll let u know how i get on and what options are available

Great thanks

just home from my consultation with Dr Con Hurley in cork there now, he told me Lazer is not an option for me as I have a lazy eye and he basically said there is no other route to take, bit disappointing as I did a medical for the guards and I was fine bar my lazy eye. I'll need to think of a new career path now.

• Advertisement

Thats crap news man, sorry to hear that.

From my understanding of Amblyopia there isnt really any treatments after age 8 or so. Which is why this Neurovision treatment seems to good to be true. Did the Doc not mention that to you?

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you had a consultation for the Neurovision treatment.

no man i asked were there any other procedures out there and he said there wasnt, he said unless the brain is trained by the age of 8 there is nothing that can be done

Yeah thats waht the docs have been telling me and from what I can see online about it. Right now I'm below the standard for the Irish,European and Australian flight medicals so If I dont try to get my eye sorted I'll only be able to fly in the US. I'll probably try for the Neurvision treatment (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055620597) and see how that goes. If it works it would be a great investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I have amblyopia in my left eye & this treatment seems too good to be true. Does it correct the alignment of the eye? My left eye "wanders" when I'm tired. I've had opthalmic surgery three times to correct the alignment but a non surgical route would be great. The website that the OP posted up says that it is for adults, it is designed for people between 18 & 55. I'm going to email them for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anne78

Hi, I called the Wellington Clinic yesterday, I spoke to Annmarie, she told me that the neurovision was not available at the moment (or for at least another few months!) as the company is being taking over by someone else (or something like that!) Does anyone know of any other clinics in Ireland offering this treatment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭SuperHans

Laydee wrote: »
    I have amblyopia in my left eye & this treatment seems too good to be true. Does it correct the alignment of the eye? My left eye "wanders" when I'm tired. I've had opthalmic surgery three times to correct the alignment but a non surgical route would be great. The website that the OP posted up says that it is for adults, it is designed for people between 18 & 55. I'm going to email them for more details.

I don't think it is designed to correct the alignment of the eye, it is trying to improve the signal going into the brain from the amblyopic eye.
    From what research I've been doing and from a respected person in the field I've been talking to I believe that there may be some merit to this treatment.

However any gains that are made in the amblyopic eye will gradually disappear after the treatment is over, so it's the kind of thing that has to be done constantly.
    For instance, if for some reason you lost vision in your good eye, your lazy eye will probably improve to some degree to compensate. This improvement would probably be permanent as the lazy eye isn't getting any help.
    If your lazy eye is being helped by an eye with good vision, it will start to become lazy again after the improvements claimed by this treatment.

The cost of the treatment is quite high from what I hear so that is a bit of a concern given the research I have done on the temporary nature of the improvements made in vision.
    It will be interesting to see how others get on with this and maybe they can report on whether they have to constantly be training their eye to keep the vision or whether the improvement is permanent.

NB: Any info that I've written here is not fact. It's just what I've gleaned from the little research I've put into the matter.

anne78 wrote: »
    Hi, I called the Wellington Clinic yesterday, I spoke to Annmarie, she told me that the neurovision was not available at the moment (or for at least another few months!) as the company is being taking over by someone else (or something like that!) Does anyone know of any other clinics in Ireland offering this treatment?

That's great, I spoke to them two days before you and they said that they would send me out information on it. :rolleyes: be nice if they told ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

anne78 wrote: »

Exactly what was said to me. I was told I would receive a call in 2-3 months. Estimated price being €2,000 for the treatment.

Can an Ambliopic eye correct itself?
    I would usually only look through my "good" eye & never had a problem but lately I can see the (lack of) vision out of my Ambliopic eye too & the headaches from the strain are a killer.
    After 21 years of not having any sort of vision from that eye, this is weird!
    I'm not asking for medical advice, I am booked in to see my optician for an eye test to see if the vision is any better.
    I just want to know have ye heard of an Ambliopic eye correcting itself?

I don't want to get my hopes up but if it's getting a bit better I'll be first in line for lazer vision correction :p

Turned out I needed a different strength of lense. :rolleyes:
    If you did this treatment & it worked, even though it's only temporary.
    Could you have laser eye surgery while it was at its strongest?

My eyes are alligned but when I'm tired or have had a jar or two, they begin to part. :(

Fingers crossed that someday there'll be a permanent cure for ambliopia. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Has anyone hear heard about vivid vision as a treatment for amblyopia? As a treatment for children and adults. Software on a VR headset forcing the brain to use both eyes together?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've heard of it and it may be something I look into down the line. I have a lazy eye for all my life after interventions as a child did y not work. Would be stunned if it brought back strong vision. I also have another condition on that eye anyway so not sure what results are possible even in a best case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've heard of it and it may be something I look into down the line. I have a lazy eye for all my life after interventions as a child did y not work. Would be stunned if it brought back strong vision. I also have another condition on that eye anyway so not sure what results are possible even in a best case scenario.

I have been using vivid vision for the last month. It is very early stages but it does seem to be helping. I sent you a PM about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi Deedsie,

Hope it goes well for you! Would you post an update in a few weeks or months?

Thanks,

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement