Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strabismus Surgery/ Lazy eye advice

• 26-02-2020 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello there. I am in my 30s and I have a lazy eye, with my eye being mis-aligned slightly. I have noticed it more and more the past few years. It is also watery and often uncomfortable. To be honest, cosmetic reasons are also driving mt wish for surgery. I am living abroad but I will be returning for 2 weeks to Ireland in a month and also for 2 months during the Summer. Can anyone recommend the steps I need to take in order to access this surgery? Or can anyone recommend a hospital? It will have to be private I guess, as I don't have health insurance and I am unsure of the waiting lists on the public system. I have worked in Ireland for the last 15 years. Also has anyone any idea of the cost factor of this surgery?

Thanks a million for any help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was born with a very rare and complex eye condition and a strabismus was part of it. I have private insurance and anyway it was a number of years ago sinc my surgery so I really don’t remember the cost.
    You firstly need to get a GP referral to an ophthalmologist and take it from there. I was in for 2 nights but in hindsight I should have agreed to stay longer. I have many complicating factors so I am perhaps not the best person to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

shimmery wrote: »
    Hello there. I am in my 30s and I have a lazy eye, with my eye being mis-aligned slightly. I have noticed it more and more the past few years. It is also watery and often uncomfortable. To be honest, cosmetic reasons are also driving mt wish for surgery. I am living abroad but I will be returning for 2 weeks to Ireland in a month and also for 2 months during the Summer. Can anyone recommend the steps I need to take in order to access this surgery? Or can anyone recommend a hospital? It will have to be private I guess, as I don't have health insurance and I am unsure of the waiting lists on the public system. I have worked in Ireland for the last 15 years. Also has anyone any idea of the cost factor of this surgery?

Thanks a million for any help in advance

I had my lazy eye 'straightened' in 2015 (in my early 30s) in the Bons in Galway. Insurance paid for it though, i think it was around 1500. PM me if you want more info. Rory

Advertisement