Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to spend excess Credit [Vodafone&Three on Android + iOS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

marcbrophy wrote:
    Oh I see, I thought they were all separate apps! Thanks for the help

You will need to create rakuten, kobo and Kindle accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

sweetie wrote: »
    You can use your credit to subscribe to The Times for €5 a month which includes the daily papers and sunday times Irish versions. Also get reduced cinema (similar to 3 app) and a free movie rental, free audiobook (both rakuten) and free e book (kindle) each month. Not bad.
    Thanks for this info, and your instructions in the later post, but I'm seeing 6 euro per week, 26 per month!

Thanks for this info, and your instructions in the later post, but I'm seeing 6 euro per week, 26 per month!

That's probably the Irish times, this is the UK times Irish version.

That's probably the Irish times, this is the UK times Irish version.
    No, definitely "The Times & The Sunday Times"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

No, definitely "The Times & The Sunday Times"

That's the wrong one.
    Times & ST: Ireland edition is the one you want.

• Advertisement

Here's a screenshot
    480251.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Here's a screenshot

Yup, that's the wrong one.

F1ngers wrote: »
    That's the wrong one.
    Times & ST: Ireland edition is the one you want.
    Ah, thanks - I didn't realise from sweetie's posts that there was a seperate app for the Irish editions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You will need to create rakuten, kobo and Kindle accounts

I'm with you, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Don't know if it's been mentioned before. But you can use your Vodafone or Three credit for Ancestry.com.
    Have been a member for a while but not a paid up member as only sign up when there's free trial offers or weekends sometimes.
    Was browsing on it this evening and was going to sign up for a new free trial and the option came up to use Vodafone credit.
    Checked on the Three phone and option came up to use the Three credit also.

I didn't go through with it as I won't have a lot of spare time to get the best out it at moment. So plant to do it next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Berberis wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before. But you can use your Vodafone or Three credit for Ancestry.com.
    Have been a member for a while but not a paid up member as only sign up when there's free trial offers or weekends sometimes.
    Was browsing on it this evening and was going to sign up for a new free trial and the option came up to use Vodafone credit.
    Checked on the Three phone and option came up to use the Three credit also.

I didn't go through with it as I won't have a lot of spare time to get the best out it at moment. So plant to do it next week

Ancestry have no record I even exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

It would be good if Ancestry.com let you buy the DNA kit with excess credit. I've buckets of it.

Any other ways of buying kindle books other than the Irish Times subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

AFAIK, Kindle no, but Google Play Books, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

It would be good if Ancestry.com let you buy the DNA kit with excess credit. I've buckets of it.

You can buy books using credit off Google play and read them via the play books app
    But yeah the play books store isn't great to be honest

Asus X540L wrote:
    You can buy books using credit off Google play and read them via the play books app But yeah the play books store isn't great to be honest

Sometimes if a book is on sale on Kindle it's also reduced on the play store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Sometimes if a book is on sale on Kindle it's also reduced on the play store

I find the play store very expensive... But if it's excess credit it doesn't matter much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Do you still need to manually convert Play Store books to read them on Kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Do you still need to manually convert Play Store books to read them on Kindle?

If someone could post the method that'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I remember this being mentioned before but can you pay for Nord or Express vpn using 3 credit?

If someone could post the method that'd be great!

Did a quick Google there, and it seems you still have to convert them manually using a tool like "Calibre", but the books themselves have DRM protection which has to be removed by a plugin for Calibre called DeDRM

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

Seems a lot of hassle... I think I'll just bide my time with my credit until we can buy PSN credit using our phone credit again (if ever!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Discodog wrote: »
    I remember this being mentioned before but can you pay for Nord or Express vpn using 3 credit?

Express VPN using 3 credit was expensive enough. But they stopped the option to pay using 3 credit in November I think. I use winscribe now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Haven't tried it, but it looks like you can buy a Crunchyroll (legal anime streaming app) premium subscription using credit now

[What's New]:- Crunchyroll(v2.4.0)

[+] Now you can use your Google Play account to subscribe to Crunchyroll Premium!

€7/month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone know can you subscribe to YouTube premium with credit? I have Google music but wouldn't mind upgrading for a few euro more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone know can you subscribe to YouTube premium with credit? I have Google music but wouldn't mind upgrading for a few euro more.
    Yes you can

Yes you can

Great thanks. Must just not be able to do it on the phone or in another country. I'll try again when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Have you a dual SIM phone as I had that problem and removed the non three sim and was able to order then.

Have you a dual SIM phone as I had that problem and removed the non three sim and was able to order then.

Yep this was the issue. Thanks for the solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Thanks for the heads up re: YT Premium, got a two month free trial and it will be taken from my credit thereafter.

Thanks for the heads up re: YT Premium, got a two month free trial and it will be taken from my credit thereafter.

I'm sure it's been asked a few times, but what are the general benefits for YouTube premium?

Just offline streaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been asked a few times, but what are the general benefits for YouTube premium?

Just offline streaming?

No ads, downloads, play in the background (as an aside, if thats not enough to entice you to use credit, check out Youtube Vanced - this plays in the background)

https://youtubevanced.com/

Advertisement