Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

BattleCorp wrote: »
    While I somewhat agree with you regarding making sure that there is no witness or defendant tampering/misconduct, not showing pre-recorded episodes of a TV show hardly comes into the category of witness or defendant tampering/misconduct.

Paid suspension of people when they are employees during an investigation is fair. I'm not so sure that fairness applies when people like NDGT are self-employed.

I agree with the prerecording but in their eyes it could be a case that the investigation could go on for some time and if they only have 3 out of 15 done then what's the point of showing 3 and waiting for the rest?

Also the contracts in the states are as long as books and I'm pretty sure there will be a clause about bringing the company into disrepute by actions and suspension of contracts happening during this time of investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

sexmag wrote: »
    I agree with the prerecording but in their eyes it could be a case that the investigation could go on for some time and if they only have 3 out of 15 done then what's the point of showing 3 and waiting for the rest?

Also the contracts in the states are as long as books and I'm pretty sure there will be a clause about bringing the company into disrepute by actions and suspension of contracts happening during this time of investigation

How would an innocent man be bringing the company into disrepute? Wouldn't you have to wait for a guilty verdict before he could be said to be bringing the company into disrepute?

I think it's more of a 'We don't want to be associated with a rapist' which smacks of a little bit of prejudgement of guilt to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How would an innocent man be bringing the company into disrepute? Wouldn't you have to wait for a guilty verdict before he could be said to be bringing the company into disrepute?

I think it's more of a 'We don't want to be associated with a rapist' which smacks of a little bit of prejudgement of guilt to me.

Well it's similar to the Belfast trial, Ulster rugby and the IRFU were all put under the spotlight. Innocent or guilty it's still bringing unwanted and negative attention to the company/brand and contracts would cover this to help the company save face,I'm not saying it's right it's just what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

I am suspicious that people were axed from shows etc immediately after allegations were made against them because the powers that be were already aware of incidents of "inappropriate behaviour" on or off set by those accused. When it wasn't mainstream knowledge, life could continue as normal, but once allegations were common knowledge, the jig was up and they had to be seen to take some action to try to avoid potential future lawsuits.

Is it as simple as standard procedure as sexmag says?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Senature wrote: »
    I am suspicious that people were axed from shows etc immediately after allegations were made against them because the powers that be were already aware of incidents of "inappropriate behaviour" on or off set by those accused. When it wasn't mainstream knowledge, life could continue as normal, but once allegations were common knowledge, the jig was up and they had to be seen to take some action to try to avoid potential future lawsuits.

Is it as simple as standard procedure as sexmag says?

Well many of them took NDA's as well as large sums of compensation. Unfortunately, an NDA binds you to be quiet-unless some idiot manages to violate that and allow you to speak out.
    Dushku spoke out because she claims the NDA was broken by Moonves and Weatherly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

A US judge has dismissed Ashley Judd’s sexual harassment claim against Weinstein.

Not surprised. I don’t think we’ll see him on the hook for any of the things he’s accused of. Worst that will happen is that his career has been ruined and his reputation in tatters.

In the same ballpark, I see Lady Gaga has disowned her 2013 collaboration with R Kelly!! 2013?!?!? There have been allegations and rumours (almost an open secret) against Kelly for at least a couple of decades. Sure he even married the underage Aaliyah. How is that Gaga is only now condemning him??

It all seems a bit like the odious Meryl Streep instigating a standing ovation for Polanski at the Oscars when full in the knowledge of his convictions to only now, in the current #metoo climate, decide that she’s not that fond of him after all.

Hypocritical scum, the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

sexmag wrote: »
    Well it's similar to the Belfast trial, Ulster rugby and the IRFU were all put under the spotlight. Innocent or guilty it's still bringing unwanted and negative attention to the company/brand and contracts would cover this to help the company save face,I'm not saying it's right it's just what it is.

Bit like hush money being tied to NDAs so? Sure 'tis what it is right?

A US judge has dismissed Ashley Judd’s sexual harassment claim against Weinstein.

Not surprised. I don’t think we’ll see him on the hook for any of the things he’s accused of. Worst that will happen is that his career has been ruined and his reputation in tatters.

In the same ballpark, I see Lady Gaga has disowned her 2013 collaboration with R Kelly!! 2013?!?!? There have been allegations and rumours (almost an open secret) against Kelly for at least a couple of decades. Sure he even married the underage Aaliyah. How is that Gaga is only now condemning him??

It all seems a bit like the odious Meryl Streep instigating a standing ovation for Polanski at the Oscars when full in the knowledge of his convictions to only now, in the current #metoo climate, decide that she’s not that fond of him after all.

Hypocritical scum, the lot of them!

Oh completely-and once a song or video is out there, you can't just remove it completely. Anything on the internet stays on the internet.

She didn't apologise for working with Terry Richardson, mind you-so it's all just distraction.
    Really, this is Gaga trying to get herself an Oscar nomination, and its all part of her 'campaign'. She didn't get a Golden Globe, so she's trying everything to get herself a nod.
    She can get lost.

Fake as hell that one.She even pulled the 'I was young' thing... She was 27/ 28...that's old enough to have heard about the history, and the rumours of both R Kelly and Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I remember being in school and knowing then that R Kelly was a creep and I’m younger than Gaga and live in the bog arse of Ireland. Of course she knew when she was rubbing shoulders in the same industry as him. Total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So yet another expose about Bryan Singer has come out. Is this guy ever going to face any sort of consequences or even investigation?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So yet another expose about Bryan Singer has come out. Is this guy ever going to face any sort of consequences or even investigation?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/

Well, the alleged victim would first have to make an official complaint to the police for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

An ogre like Weinstein is easy to condemn but where is the safe line for men these days? Is the Mike Pence model of minimizing social contact with all females one works with the way to go? At the banter end of things, you might be having a light-hearted conversation with somebody who is secretly appalled by you. It’s tricky. I think men have to be aware that the prospect of meeting attractive young women may have been one unconscious, or not so unconscious, driver for their labours up the career ladder. Most academics, for example, are nobodies outside the workplace so they need to be more vigilant than ever about their behaviour at work and make sure they are behaving appropriately, starting with anybody they supervise, obviously. Reading the relevant policies of the organization in their entirety might be a good idea too. The bar has just been raised quite a bit, and it may take only one accusation to put you in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just try to be sound and not to be a creep and I don't think you'll have that many problems.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Arghus wrote: »
    Just try to be sound and good looking and I don't think you'll have that many problems.

Fixed that for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fixed that for ya.

Life is hard when your harbour bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

In the Canadian outback, relationships can be complex owing to a basic lack of people. One colleague of mine, for example, did triple duty as my boss, personal physician and friend. You just have to hope that the separate roles stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’m still surprised creepy Joe Biden hasn’t been brought to task :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Neil Degrasse Tyson's in trouble now-his show just got pulled amid claims of sexual misconduct, and an old rape allegation.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nat-geo-neil-degrasse-tyson-1203098611/
    seems the investigation is over, life goes on...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/neil-degrasse-tyson-cleared-nat-geo-investigation-1195140

"The investigation is complete, and we are moving forward with both StarTalk and Cosmos," Fox and Nat Geo said Friday in a statement. "StarTalk will return to the air with the remaining 13 episodes in April on National Geographic, and both Fox and National Geographic are committed to finding an air date for Cosmos. There will be no further comment."

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A real man would not shoplift the pootie.

• Advertisement

A real man would not shoplift the pootie.

He denies the charges, and apparently there's footage of him that corroborates his side of the story.

Oh I don't believe a word of her story, just remembered that line from Jerry Maguire.

Here's a news report with clips from a presser his lawyer gave were he effectively calls her a liar looking for a payday.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He'll be convicted of nothing.

World is a boysclub.

And he will be welcomed back.

Ladies if you want justice buy a gun.

Exactly. The footage of him that corroborates his side of the story is more than likely just misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish actress Sarah Greene on Harvey
    The two first met at the 2014 Tony Awards where Greene was nominated as Best Featured Actress in a Play for her role as Helen McCormick in “The Cripple of Inishmaan.”

Greene recalls that at the Tony Awards, Weinstein told her: “My money’s on you. Ima make you a star."

“I told him he lost his money because I didn’t win [the Tony]. Then he emailed me and told me he was coming to see [The Ferryman]. We had dinner afterwards, just the two of us. He said, ‘I want to put you in my films.’ The next day, I had two scripts in my hand.”

Greene says Weinstein never “tried anything” on her, but adds “not then.”

Eager to end her discussion of Weinstein, Greene said in the interview: “Listen, I don’t want to be associated with him. I knew what he was like. I made sure I wasn’t ever in any hotel rooms with him. I was older than he thought I was. There’s no story to tell.”

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/entertainment/sarah-greene-harvey-weinstein

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.buzz.ie/news/harvey-weinstein-reaches-tentative-25m-deal-with-sex-abuse-accusers-346636

Harvey Weinstein has reportedly reached a $25 million deal with dozens of his sexual misconduct victims after two years of legal battles.
    The deal will reportedly see him avoid having to admit wrongdoing or pay money to his accusers personally.

The deal, which has received preliminary approval from all the main parties involved, would see the payment come from Mr Weinstein's bankrupt film studio's insurance.

News of the deal comes a month before Mr Weinstein is due to be tried in a Manhattan court on sexual assault charges which are separate from the settlement negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Oh I don't believe a word of her story, just remembered that line from Jerry Maguire.

Here's a news report with clips from a presser his lawyer gave were he effectively calls her a liar looking for a payday.

Seven more 'liars' have come forward. That makes 22 liars in total. Oops!

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/cuba-gooding-jr-accused-seven-more-women-sexual-misconduct-n1099126

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://www.buzz.ie/news/harvey-weinstein-reaches-tentative-25m-deal-with-sex-abuse-accusers-346636

Harvey Weinstein has reportedly reached a $25 million deal with dozens of his sexual misconduct victims after two years of legal battles.
    The deal will reportedly see him avoid having to admit wrongdoing or pay money to his accusers personally.

The deal, which has received preliminary approval from all the main parties involved, would see the payment come from Mr Weinstein's bankrupt film studio's insurance.

News of the deal comes a month before Mr Weinstein is due to be tried in a Manhattan court on sexual assault charges which are separate from the settlement negotiations.

How the hell can he land the payouts on an insurance company? What sort of bull**** is that.

He doesn't even lose money , nevermind anything else. Literally scott free.

How the hell can he land the payouts on an insurance company? What sort of bull**** is that.

He doesn't even lose money , nevermind anything else. Literally scott free.

Clever business practises....or collusion... hard to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Did someone say 25 million dollar payout?

Advertisement