Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow-ice warning : Tues 2 to Weds 3 April 2019

• 01-04-2019 4:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Worth keeping a seperate thread for this spell of weather I think , could be some interesting observations coming in over the next couple of days.

YjB8CZU.png

U3NGYc2.png

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford and Louth
    Falls of hail and sleet will occur with snow accumulations mainly on high ground. Lying snow in places below 250 meters. Icy patches.

Valid: Tuesday 02 April 2019 00:01 to Wednesday 03 April 2019 12:00

Issued: Monday 01 April 2019 11:00

Updated: Monday 01 April 2019 11:00

yJ7ls5m.png

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

What date is it today??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Planet X wrote: »

That's what I thought as well when I heard this earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Planet X wrote: »

I wish it was an April fool :( I'm driving out of Connacht tomorrow across the country - Hopefully the roads won't be too bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Although I could see it in the charts I was kinda hoping this would not happen , the little taste of summer last week turned my head !

I think it could be a every season in a day type of weather .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The WRF -NMM fairly gung ho with the snow /wintry shower potential .

anim_efj6.gif

anim_vee3.gif

anim_brh8.gif

anim_rsk3.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Blustery day with a notable windchill. Temperature look to struggle to get up to 5 or 6C in general tomorrow, maybe up to 7 or 8C near coasts .

anim_lhh8.gif

anim_ybp2.gif

hirlamuk-43-19-0_fgt5.png

hirlamuk-43-25-0_gwh1.png

hirlamuk-43-32-0_rkz0.png

The Euro 4's take on the sleet / snow showers, not showing much accumulating on this run.

Shows the convective nature of the wind gusts well especially along coasts.

qXQG3ct.gif

2KHfcLj.gif

The strong winds did not materialize yet going to be quite windy all the same .

ECM showing some snow accumulations on hills /Mountains mainly.

Every sort of a shower tomorrow by the looks of it. Heavy squally showers with thunder and hail thrown in for good measure.

5DevRc9.png

q5Y2jY9.gif

sWXQMQj.gif

Winds starting to back more to the NW now behind the cold front, some nice heights on those clouds.

Temp down to 6.5C now here near Tralee and raining .

zsNsTgS.gif

temp_uk_zkx1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Too late for this messing. Bring on another heatwave please, and lock winter away in its cupboard until November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sdanseo wrote: »
    Too late for this messing. Bring on another heatwave please, and lock winter away in its cupboard until November.

Winter isn't allowed to be released from November to February, remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

It can snow any time up until June really

The Arctic weather seems to be shoved down here in Spring commonly now.

It will probably be cold ALL April compared to average.

Still a "balmy" 5c here.

Id say daytime showers will be so blowy that any whiteness will disappear with each shower ceasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not anymore. Hail has arrived 3c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There really are few words!

Stormed in out here. ocean a maelstrom, hail battering the aluminium roof and walls, wind howling. Bitterly cold

Tristan da Cunha looks good ;)..

A five cat day

west mayo offshore maelstrom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Kutebride

2° Meath. Some ice on windscreens. Beautiful sunrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Snowing in South Leitrim.
    Sick of this weather. Fed up to the back teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy sleety rain in cork city at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Some snow in higher parts of Sligo Town just before 6am. Sticking only to the windscreens though.

Granular icy stuff precipitating sideways in a rising north west gale... west mayo offshore igloo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy snow now falling in Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was going to work today (outdoors) but I've decided to stay at home! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Coming down heavy now and starting to stick.
    Time to light the fire and grab a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Snowing heavy, starting to stick on grass and cars, 5 miles south of Tuam. Approaching the end of the shower now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Recent snow in Durrow, South Laois. 2.3c with Dewpoint hovering between 0.2c and 0.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hail, then snow, currently a dusting, hills north east of Kilkenny.

White stuff sideways. Cannot see the mountains so no idea if it is sticking, The path here is snow-scattered but cannot stand up out there so no closer observations on that from me... reminds me of trying to walk the dog way back as I ended up marching on the spot. ;)

west mayo offshore ice floe

it is so bad I have broached my small emergency fuel stocks.... solid fuel stove alight..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Showers dying as they move across the midlands, not really making it into the Greater Dublin Area, I wonder will we escape with a mostly dry day. Bitterly cold outside.

The next few weeks look on the cool side and turning more unsettled. Once we clear this northerly, easterly winds will dominate. Why couldn't we have this in January and February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    Showers dying as they move across the midlands, not really making it into the Greater Dublin Area, I wonder will we escape with a mostly dry day. Bitterly cold outside.

With solar heating coming into play now, perhaps areas further east will begin to see some action soon.

A welcome short break in activity here, but the (marine) gale warning is in force.

No snow on the mountains except a frail dusting to the south west.

Ah here it all comes again..

I was out at the north facing back and the ocean is a white-ridged glory .. too bitterly cold to be out for more than a few seconds.,

and hail and severe snow battering the dwelling again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just horrible

Advertisement