Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

• 27-12-2018 6:43pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I just watched an advert on TV for Center Parcs Longford which opens in May of next year, in time for the summer.

Center Parcs seem to be a modern version of the Butlins holiday camps of the past, or like Trabolgan on steroids. There are a number of them in Britain and a couple in Holland also. It seems very much aimed at families with children. Families stay at lodges, which are located in a forest/wooded setting and the centerpiece of the Center Parc resorts is a huge enclosed subtropical swimming pool/water park facility, with many other activities on offer, such as cycling, gyms, sports facilities, play activities for younger kids, restaurants, bars etc.

Looking at the UK Center Parcs they do seem very expensive for what you get.

Anyone been to a Center Parcs resort and did you enjoy the experience? Do you think Longford will be a success?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Summer in Longford? May as well have the Winter Olympics in Miami.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 32,876 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

buried wrote: »
    Summer in Longford? May as well have the Winter Olympics in Miami.

... that's what the said about having the Wrold Cup in Qatar...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Look, the whole center parcs thing wouldn't be for me or my family but I realised one thing over the years: there are an awful lot of people that are really overwhelmed when travelling with kids. Many are intimidated by the logistics of a week-long trip with the sprogs while others are thrilled and can't wait.
    The whole all-inclusive thing is for people that don't want to bother with the logistics of a trip and want a safe environment and don't care too much about sightseeing. And that's perfectly fine.

Ireland is hugely popular with Europeans, Asians and Americans, so I believe that one will do well enough. People are willing to pay money for the peace of mind and ease of a resort holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have been half a dozen times cumbria and nottinghsm. Great when you have kids.
    I would not be going on my own or with just adults.
    It is expensive but you won't get bored, loads to do. If you do your shopping in tesco before arriving you avoid the need to use their on site shop which is wild expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,394 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Has a Nazi youth or Scientology recruitment vibe off it.
    Wouldn't drink the Coolaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

kneemos wrote: »

You're right. Coolaid is wayyyyy overpriced.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

... that's what the said about having the Wrold Cup in Qatar...

How'd that turn out?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,394 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

buried wrote: »
    How'd that turn out?

Multiple deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

There is one near where my parents live in France and I have been there a couple of times. As others said, it is expensive but plenty to do for the kids. I guess you pay for the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

We just booked a weekend there next September. Was 530 for three nights. I don’t think that’s too bad. I have twin toddlers so a place that’s set up for children appeals for now. No cars and woodland setting sounds nice too. We have just built a house so we don’t plan on taking any foreign holidays until they are a bit older. Flights and ferries are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

fits wrote: »
    We just booked a weekend there next September. Was 530 for three nights. I don’t think that’s too bad. I have twin toddlers so a place that’s set up for children appeals for now. No cars and woodland setting sounds nice too. We have just built a house so we don’t plan on taking any foreign holidays until they are a bit older. Flights and ferries are expensive.

Fairness that sounds reasonable enough.

One of my friends has been to a few in the U.K., enjoyable but expensive is how she described it.

Just to compare we just booked 16 nights on 5 star campsites in France for €750 for four of us. Pitch only as we bring our own caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As said above lots of people would pay a premium to not have to pack up kids for a flight. For families it’s handy break albeit expensive, people will pay a premium for convenience that’s why the spar at the end of the road is in business. For a lot of people it’s going to be within 2/3 hours of their homes which is about what you would be waiting in the airport for your flight.
    Not sure I’d personally spend a week or two there but I’m sure at some stage I’ll do a long weekend.

• Seems too dear to me. Also, the thing about some of these theme parks for kids is they dont age well and need upgrading in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Two grand for a week in Longford

I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've been to most of the ones in the UK and they are great.
    They are expensive but very relaxing, and lots to do.
    Not sure how long it will take the wildlife to get used to that many people (staff in UK I talked to said probably about a year or two) but it's very nice to have squirrels, ducks etc at your backdoor, stopping on the path to let a load of baby swans cross etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

kneemos wrote: »

You do mean Kool-aid snowflake?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Here’s their website.

https://www.centerparcs.ie/breaks-we-offer/short-breaks.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyKHel-3X3wIVbrHtCh0gigi_EAAYASAAEgK2FPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The subtropical swimming pool focal point of Center Parcs Longford under construcion
    STSP%20Construction%20picture%20credit%20Arc%20Studios.jpg

Family lodges nearing completion. This will be a huge economic boost for Longford.
    Center%20Parcs%20lodges.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Had a look online today at pricing. 23rd of Aug to the 26th for 3 adults 929 euro self catering. Same dates in Malaga Spain flights and accommodation coming in at 824 euro plus gauranteed sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The fact it is Longford just turns me off.

Fann Linn wrote:
    The fact it is Longford just turns me off.

The fact that I checked particular dates in Ireland and the same dates in the UK yet there is a 150 euro difference says it all for me. Guess which location is the more expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

The fact that I checked particular dates in Ireland and the same dates in the UK yet there is a 150 euro difference says it all for me. Guess which location is the more expensive?

The one I can drive to in an hour ?

School holidays finish up earlier in the UK than in ireland. Is that a possible reason?

You are the reason why a UK executive referred to Ireland as ' treasure Island' .

fits wrote:
    School holidays finish up earlier in the UK than in ireland. Is that a possible reason?

Just an observation but have you skin in the game? On a different thread you were highlighting the great value of a weekend break in September for 540 euro when I highlighted the cost of a stay 23rd Aug to the 26th Aug as being 929 euro versus a stay in Malaga including flights for 824 euro for 3 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

You leave your car at the gate. You are captive for your time there. Convienience = expense. It is a very expensive weekend based on the above. Once in, you pay for everything. Better off getting a caravan on dogs bay. Better location and way more freedom.

Just an observation but have you skin in the game? On a different thread you were highlighting the great value of a weekend break in September for 540 euro when I highlighted the cost of a stay 23rd Aug to the 26th Aug as being 929 euro versus a stay in Malaga including flights for 824 euro for 3 people.

:D. I’ve booked a weekend that’s all. Your Malaga trip is not comparing like with like.

fits wrote:
    . I’ve booked a weekend that’s all. Your Malaga trip is not comparing like with like.

I compared the same dates in Sherwood forest in the UK with Longford here and Ireland was almost 150 dearer. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That's quite the logical fallacy to try explain the price disparity between the UK and Ireland when it comes to similar goods and services :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I compared the same dates in Sherwood forest in the UK with Longford here and Ireland was almost 150 dearer. Any thoughts?

More competition in the UK.

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote:
    More competition in the UK.

Center Parcs occupies a unique space in the UK limited competition tbh very little reason to justify the price difference in Ireland. On a different note if there are multiple idiots willing to pay the elevated prices why should I care other than to point out the rip off ......

Advertisement