Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attending my first wedding - Need a suit

• 25-02-2020 12:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as the title suggests, I will be attending my first wedding (as an adult) so I need to purchase a suit and was wondering if anyone here had any advice on what to look for, should I get a tailored one or a cheap M&S one, etc... It's also May, not July as I originally thought which is great.

Any other advice would be great.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I find Moss Bros great for suits. They have stores in Dundrum and Liffey Valley. You could also try Savoy Taylor's Guild in Kildare Village. They have various brands at reasonable prices. The places I mentioned have an array of fits (regular, tailored, slim fit, skinny fit) at reasonable prices for good quality in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

chops018 wrote: »
    I find Moss Bros great for suits. They have stores in Dundrum and Liffey Valley. You could also try Savoy Taylor's Guild in Kildare Village. They have various brands at reasonable prices. The places I mentioned have an array of fits (regular, tailored, slim fit, skinny fit) at reasonable prices for good quality in my opinion.

Should have mentioned that I live in London. Many thanks though!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Should have mentioned that I live in London. Many thanks though!

Try TM Lewin for the suit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Try TM Lewin for the suit!

Good shout. Do you think they'd be terribly expensive?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

One thing I wish I'd known earlier - it's really easy and really cheap to get trousers altered. It's fairly easy and fairly inexpensive to get jackets altered

If you find a suit you love and the jacket fits well but the trousers are a little off, buy it and go see a tailors (check there's enough hem if you need them lengthened)

My last suit I got dirt cheap in TK Maxx. I didn't even need one but I really liked it. It didn't fit well at all but I think it cost me €60 to get it (jacket and trousers) altered to fit and now it fits like a glove, a tailor made glove :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Good shout. Do you think they'd be terribly expensive?

I have bought a suit from TM Lewin and it wasn't expensive, but it has lasted very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

The last 4 or 5 weddings Ive gone to Ive not done full suit. Nice shirt and slacks and a blazer, no tie. Ive bought 3 or 4 suits over the last 10 years and if Ive worn them 15 times between them thats doing well and thanks to my expanding midriff none of the pants fit anymore. :rolleyes: A decent pair of slacks and a nice shirt can be worn socially and for work (if you are in a more officey environment) so you will get the use out of them.

So long as it fits well i wouldn't worry too much about getting an expensive one.

If its only a once off for a wedding why not hire one?

So long as it fits well i wouldn't worry too much about getting an expensive one.

If its only a once off for a wedding why not hire one?

I've 4 weddings this year. Might be worth buying one.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Someone else posted this in the bargain alerts thread so I can't vouch for them myself, but apparently these are good suits at good prices, if they have your size...

https://astares.co.uk/product-category/herbie-frogg/

Thread... https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058047405

• Advertisement

Hypothetically, if I were to go the tailored route how long would it take? First wedding is mid-May.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I know there is one of those very well respected Bangkok tailors that does European tours to take measurements and they will send you the suit then, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them...maybe someone here might know?

It could be an option if you want a well fitted suit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

M&S do a really good suit range too, worth checking out.
    The folk in T.M. Lewin know their stuff on fits too it has to be said, make sure to ask for any discount on the price, they're always running promos but if you're unfortunate enough to catch them at time when they aren't they'll still give something off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

M&S are just about the best value for decent suits around. Shirts are very good quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The fit of the shirts can be a bit all over the place though but in fairness to them they do tend to have a few open to try on for fit before buying.

TM Lewin seem to have a good reputation. Might pop into one and see what they say. Fingers crossed the bank doesn't get broken. Thanks!

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Go into M&S when it's quite and ask for help they will only be to happy to and you'll get lots of time. Wore my first proper suit to the company Christmas party, got a pay rise on the Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Personally I think suits are too formal unless you are in the main wedding party.
    I think a nice jacket and trousers that look well is a much nicer look. With or without a tie whatever suits.
    Saying that look at the couple getting married, are they very formal or not?

work wrote: »
    Personally I think suits are too formal unless you are in the main wedding party.
    I think a nice jacket and trousers that look well is a much nicer look. With or without a tie whatever suits.
    Saying that look at the couple getting married, are they very formal or not?

I'm not the best man, groomsman or anything like that.

No, they wouldn't be that formal at all. Just wondering if I should have a suit for general events and things. Never really needed one.

Also need to think about a gift come to think of it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

If you have a car head out to trim in meath a shop called Pat O Byrne does very reasonable suits for not a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

M & S have nice suits

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Go into M&S when it's quite and ask for help they will only be to happy to and you'll get lots of time. Wore my first proper suit to the company Christmas party, got a pay rise on the Monday

You didnt happen to attend that christmas party in cork by any chance....

I think anyone not in the papers got a payrise....

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Popped by a TM Lewin today. The guys seemed sound and I've been sorted. They might have seen me coming though because I ended up getting a pricey set of shoes as well but it's all done now.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Popped by a TM Lewin today. The guys seemed sound and I've been sorted. They might have seen me coming though because I ended up getting a pricey set of shoes as well but it's all done now.

No point having a nice suit and scuffed up shoes.

No point having a nice suit and scuffed up shoes.

Yeah. They are nice in fairness. I can wear them to interviews and such at least.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'm not the best man, groomsman or anything like that.

No, they wouldn't be that formal at all. Just wondering if I should have a suit for general events and things. Never really needed one.

Also need to think about a gift come to think of it.

Yes you do.

Every man needs a suit.

Go with grey or navy maybe pinstripe or gingham style for the future, not black because it's not versatile enough, get something that you like and looks good on you and something you can get multiple wears out of, not just for weddings, that you can dress up or dress down for any occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Popped by a TM Lewin today. The guys seemed sound and I've been sorted. They might have seen me coming though because I ended up getting a pricey set of shoes as well but it's all donTE]

What sort of suit did you buy? TM Lewin would be well known for shirts so hopefully you bought a pretty versatile (charcoal grey or navy 2 piece) suit and they convinced you to get a few more adventurous shirts to round out the outfit. I would not have bought shoes from them but YMMV.

Marcusm wrote: »

Popped by a TM Lewin today. The guys seemed sound and I've been sorted. They might have seen me coming though because I ended up getting a pricey set of shoes as well but it's all donTE]

What sort of suit did you buy? TM Lewin would be well known for shirts so hopefully you bought a pretty versatile (charcoal grey or navy 2 piece) suit and they convinced you to get a few more adventurous shirts to round out the outfit. I would not have bought shoes from them but YMMV.

Basically this. To be honest, my new problem is whether I'll even be able to fly in for the wedding.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement