Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**IMPORTANT** Copyright policy

• 02-03-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

As most people are aware during the week Sean Sherlock but into place some new legislation in relation to copyright infringement.

This new legislation has forced us to make some changes to what can and can not be posted. As some material which may have been fine before could now lead to boards being more open to legal proceedings.

So what's changed

News Articles

It will no longer be possible to re-publish full articles from other sites or news papers. If people want to reference the full article they will have to link to it. The only exception to this is if the author has given their expressed permission for it to be republished.

Users can quote up to one paragraph of an article however if you do this you must provide a link back to the article.

You Tube

Only copyright holder officially uploaded videos should be embedded. As a lot of highlights and snippets of games will fall foul of this law, they should not be embedded.

Match Streams

This has always been a grey area and unfortunately now it has gotten to the point where we will no longer allow the linking of streams.

In match threads people can link to sites that have the official rights to broadcast the match on-line, however if there are any geo location restrictions there is to be no mention of ways to bypass this.

Photos

Again unless you have the copyright holders permission to reproduce the image you will have to link to it instead.

Anything else

The above are the main areas effected however anything that is copy righted is covered and should be reproduced here

It is with great regret that we have to take these steps however due to Sean Sherlock we have no option.

If you would like to voice your opinion about the legislation with Sean Sherlock all his contact details can be found at http://www.labour.ie/seansherlock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Will this notice go up elsewhere in Boards or is it up to each moderator to put up in their own area.

What a stupid bloody law

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't envy you justsomebloke your job just got alot harder here.

Regarding the news articles is re-publishing forbidden even if the link for the article is posted?

Also what is the position on selected paragraphs being published?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Thanks Sean I'm having a party later at my house if you want to call around and wreck that as well;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Maybe i am in the wrong place to ask the question,but how does this affect the ability to quote someone on a reply to something in boards,do we now need their permission as they are the copyright holder of their post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

such ridiculous crap, especially from the muppet whose own website was riddled with infringments. *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Regarding the news articles is re-publishing forbidden even if the link for the article is posted?

Also what is the position on selected paragraphs being published?

Truthfully the main problem is we don't know how much of an article can be republished and cause of this we are initially going to have to go with zero tolerance approach. The legislation is so weakly put together we don't currently know where the boundaries are so will just have to play a wait and see game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The world is getting more Orwellian by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Ah Jaysus could you not have waited till after the non televised aironi Leinster game tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lads it won't be long now before the text we type on forums must be certified and censored by the powers that be. Sad day for the interwebz. :(

Ok lads we all know what Sean Sherlock is, however posting it is still considered abuse so can we please leave it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I emigrate and you lads let the place go to the dogs. Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

So is it possible to link to somewhere else that links to match streams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Should probably sticky this to give everyone a chance to read it. Shame we wont be able to share that stuff, but it renders some other forums useless, like video, links & pics forum!

durkadurka wrote: »
    So is it possible to link to somewhere else that links to match streams?

no, doing this still shows that you are trying to circumvent copyright law so is still a no I'm afraid

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Should probably sticky this to give everyone a chance to read it.

actually I haven't stickied it as more people will actually see it initially, as a lot of people generally don't look to see if the stickies have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good lord that's cack (aimed at Sherlock not the mods!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This is a little ridiculous.

Good lord that's cack (aimed at SS not the mods!)

Careful now

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

leftleg wrote: »
    Careful now

edited :D

there is a slight change to the news paper quoting, as HQ think we should be fine with people quoting up to one paragraph.

I'm afraid due to the lack of detail provided in the legislation the scope of these rules are liable to change regularly while the internet community comes to terms with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Leftleg I hope you got Graham Linehans permission to put that pic up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Have you actually taken legal advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

there is a slight change to the news paper quoting,as HQ think we should be fine with people quoting up to one paragraph.

I'm afraid due to the lack of detail provided in the legislation the scope of these rules are liable to change regularly while the internet community comes to terms with it

Then the face of Big Brother faded away again and instead the three slogans of the Party stood out in bold capitals:

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't give credit to the copyright holder! My apologies Minister Sherlock! "Nineteen Eighty-Four", George Orwell, Secker and Warburg (London), 1949.

wprathead wrote: »

Just this once, I'm never doing it again, i promise;

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

wprathead wrote: »
    You may jest but mods is this really how bad it is? Can we actually not post images, unless we have owner's permission?!

You may jest but mods is this really how bad it is? Can we actually not post images, unless we have owner's permission?!

nope dead serious, thats the last image i put up here unless its my own scrawl; awful stuff altogether; We should rename this country China or Syria or something

subway wrote: »
    Have you actually taken legal advice on this?

HQ over the next while will be in consultation with copyright lawyers to get their opinions. However with this legislation only being new this may take some time.

Truthfully nobody knows. As far as I know most images will be fine however proper photographers may not want their work reproduced so may mean that match photographs in certain circumstances might not be able to be posted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Truthfully nobody knows. As far as I know most images will be fine however proper photographers may not want their work reproduced so may mean that match photographs in certain circumstances might not be able to be posted!!
    Logos and brands also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well there goes Thomonds awesome looking match previews

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement