Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free beer, naked women and false advertising!

• 09-09-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Time to take things seriously before the year is out. If I had a euro for everytime I've said "Ill do it tomorrow" I'd be a rich man. Ill be posting a mix of my training and diet in here instead of keeping a written log I can keep the thread updated with what is happening.

Main goal is to drop several kg as an overall health thing but to also increase my cycling ability. Hopefully get into racing aswel by next year. Ill also be trying to get a triathlon or two under my belt and maybe even try out half ironman distances! (Triathlon forum that way, I know ---->)

My diet will be kept simple, junk food free with the usual healthy foods like chicken, meat, eggs, potatoes, fruit n veg etc etc. Ill be keeping a strict eye on sugar intake aswel! Im not too concerned on calorie intake as long as I keep it at a deficit!

*Feel free to chime in if you have any recipes or suggestions about what to try. Ive always wanted to learn to cook!

Today is day 1.

Day 1 weight - 96.5kg

As for the naked women?

google.com ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Decent enough spin today, serious headwind for the most part! Got a KOM which I'm fairly sure I got a few days ago but had my Garmin paused!

http://www.strava.com/activities/81279200

Breakfast had some eggs and bacon, dinner was chicken, veg and some pasta. Had absolutely no sauce in the house so I threw some vegetable soup in with the chicken..plain chicken breast is horrible to eat! No whole meal pasta either so I had some white instead, but won't be eating much of it again! (Same with white bread etc)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zyzz wrote: »
    Breakfast had some eggs and bacon
    If you're serious about losing weight you should cut this out - replace it with porridge or some other low-sugar cereal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Beasty wrote: »
    If you're serious about losing weight you should cut this out - replace it with porridge or some other low-sugar cereal

That certainly works for me alright, though the followers of the cult of petethedrummer might beg to differ. Nice crispy bacon and eggs fried in butter, hmmm. The skeptic in me is weakening even thinking about it and I may just find religion myself ;)

Porridge is brilliant, but very difficult to get excited over. I make a rhubarb compote to go with it which helps, and find I really do need something to jazz it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Im not too concerned on calorie intake as long as I keep it at a deficit!

If your out to loose weight I think you may want to examine that statment.
    A calorie is a measure of energy. Your body stores energy when it's not being used, or uses it when it is needed. Hence we put on, lose or maintain weight.
    Having a random calorie intake and trying to match that intake with expenditure (excercise) and then add more to be in calorie deficit is a 'risky' approach. I am not suggesting you begin weighing food or calculating the calorie count in each piece of food but I think successful weight loss begins with being aware of and having disipline over calorie intake.

Best of luck with your plan, you have taken the first step, just keep focus and remember its you decision if you succeed or not, nobody else's. A plan is made up of hundreds of decisions, is it too wet to train, am I too tired etc. individually none will bring success but each decision is yours and yours alone and will either lead you to success or failure.

Well done so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Bacon and eggs may work for op on a lchf diet or a low fat diet with porridge may.

Everyone is different, porridge doesn't work for everyone. Low fat isn't working for a lot of people. Eating a high fat diet does need to mean you gain weight.

I eat a lot of eggs, beef lamb and full fat dairy, nuts coconut avocado etc with a lot of fruit and raw veg. No processed carbs/sugar.

Have done up to 200km without food on bike. Eat fat and train your body to burn it.

Absence of carbs/sugar in diet may reduce insulin and therby help fat tissue burn...

There is one diet to suit all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Adopted similar approach myself and over a year or so I dropped from 17 stone to about 14 and 1/2 STONE. Took this long due to injuries and being 50ish
    Problem was I plateaued between 14 STONE and 14 st 10 lbs where I was stuck for past year or so.
    However over past 6 weeks I have got done below 13 1/2 STONE. What has helped me break the plateau www.myfitnesspal.com. This site is free and you log food intake and exercise and you have a calorific deficit to try and keep to.

Have a look at it and tell me what you think.

PS you will need kitchen scales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Adopted similar approach myself and over a year or so I dropped from 17 stone to about 14 and 1/2 STONE. Took this long due to injuries and being 50ish
    Problem was I plateaued between 14 STONE and 14 st 10 lbs where I was stuck for past year or so.
    However over past 6 weeks I have got done below 13 1/2 STONE. What has helped me break the plateau www.myfitnesspal.com. This site is free and you log food intake and exercise and you have a calorific deficit to try and keep to.

Have a look at it and tell me what you think.

PS you will need kitchen scales

Well done on weigh loss. What diet did you go on? Did you up exercise much compared to before?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

ford2600 wrote: »
    Well done on weigh loss. What diet did you go on? Did you up exercise much compared to before?[/QUOTE

No special diet to get to plateau just more exercise and being sensible. Since using myfitnesspal I just log what I eat and log my exercise and try to keep to recommended calorie intake. More exercise equals more beer, nuts, crisps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

What's wrong with eggs and bacon?

Apologies for the lack of updates. Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule. Probably be back on it by wednesday :)

Cycling has been going ok aswel, fingers are heavily crossed that the weather we had today doesn't stick over the winter! Also planning to cycle into college, around 8km in. I may have to buy a crap bike to do that as I wouldn't leave my good one in town for 5 minutes!
    What's wrong with eggs and bacon?

Also interested in your post Beasty? I lost a good few kg last year from a relatively* carb free breakfast, so eggs and bacon and throw in a casein shake morning and evening (depending on my calorie intake for the day)

• Advertisement

Apologies for the lack of updates. Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule. Probably be back on it by wednesday :)

Cycling has been going ok aswel, fingers are heavily crossed that the weather we had today doesn't stick over the winter! Also planning to cycle into college, around 8km in. I may have to buy a crap bike to do that as I wouldn't leave my good one in town for 5 minutes!

Also interested in your post Beasty? I lost a good few kg last year from a carb free breakfast, so eggs and bacon and throw in a casein shake morning and evening (depending on my calorie intake for the day)

Eggs and bacon aren't 'carb free' bit they are lowish. Your ride was under two hours and I think your breakfast is fine for that when you are trying to lose weight.

Eggs and bacon aren't 'carb free' bit they are lowish. Your ride was under two hours and I think your breakfast is fine for that when you are trying to lose weight.

0.6g of carbs in 1 egg and no carbs in bacon..

'relatively carb free' if that clears it up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A calorie is a measure of energy.

Two foods can be isocaloric but not isometabolic.

Yes or No. Does the calorie content of food describe the metabolic effect?

Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule.
    But, this won't work in the long term. 'Diets' almost always fail eventually. If you want to lose weight, and keep it off, you have to start doing things differently and with the intention of keeping it that way.

Apologies for the lack of updates. Decided to postpone the diet until Im fully back to college as I work better under a schedule. Probably be back on it by wednesday
    But, this won't work in the long term. 'Diets' almost always fail eventually. If you want to lose weight, and keep it off, you have to start doing things differently and with the intention of keeping it that way.

This is a personal journey, and I'm going to do what works for me. Keeping to a schedule, busy college days, planned meal times and strict training both on the bike and in the gym has worked for me in the past, so Ill be sticking to that.

I appreciate the feedback and constructive comments by all members but if you are just going to slate what I am going to do then Id prefer if you shot me a PM instead of clogging the thread telling me things like my diet won't work..

(Hard to phrase without sounding like a bit of a d*ck but hopefully you get my point!)

Absolutely, which is the basis of the likes of the GI system as well as LHCF. Also highlights that peoples metabolism vary significantly, hence different things working for different people. Gross and all as it is, I've often wondered what the range of efficiencies different people achieve in extracting calories, and is there are point where significant amounts simply pass through you rather than being stored as fat or burned as fuel?

Yes or No. Does the calorie content of food describe the metabolic effect?

To quote my cousin Vinnie, it's a trick question, the metabolic effect a calorie has on a specific individual varies on the indivdual as much as its any other variable, I thought that was one point of your Cult thread? People's bodies all react differently to different food, or so I read somewhere.........
    More importaintly it completely missed the point of my origional post.
    However if you need more info on metabolic effect of different calories there is a great forum on nutrition where people may be able to answer the question with more detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

To quote my cousin Vinnie, it's a trick question, the metabolic effect a calorie has on a specific individual varies on the indivdual as much as its any other variable, I thought that was one point of your Cult thread? People's bodies all react differently to different food, or so I read somewhere.........
    More importaintly it completely missed the point of my origional post.
    However if you need more info on metabolic effect of different calories there is a great forum on nutrition where people may be able to answer the question with more detail...

Your post is Calories is Vs Calories out. And mentions nothing about the different metabolic effect of different foods.

If your out to loose weight I think you may want to examine that statment.
    A calorie is a measure of energy. Your body stores energy when it's not being used, or uses it when it is needed. Hence we put on, lose or maintain weight.
    Having a random calorie intake and trying to match that intake with expenditure (excercise) and then add more to be in calorie deficit is a 'risky' approach. I am not suggesting you begin weighing food or calculating the calorie count in each piece of food but I think successful weight loss begins with being aware of and having disipline over calorie intake.

the metabolic effect a calorie has on a specific individual varies on the indivdual as much as its any other variable

A calorie is just a unit of energy, it doesn't necessarily bear any relationship to food whatsoever. Saying the body processes a calorie of energy extracted from one food stuff much the same as any other is not the case. If this was true we'd carry around sachets of olive oil rather than sugary gels when cycling, as it is much more calorie dense for the weight. The number of calories in a given piece of food is not directly proportional to the number we can use, as there is a cost involved in digestion and assimilation that varies with the food stuff.

While I go largely with calories in / calories out as a yardstick, I'm well aware it is a very rough one.

Your post is Calories is Vs Calories out. And mentions nothing about the different metabolic effect of different foods.

No, my post (the first one) was pretty spot on point and on thread and deals with the op asking for feed back.
    The second one was a reply to a random quesment which seeped into this thread by osmosis from the Cult thread and had pretty much nothing to do with the op's posts.
    And so to avoid going down that rabbit hole again:

............[unfollow thread] click..............

• Advertisement
Advertisement