Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Johannabax wrote: »
    Just diagnosed with sleep apnea. Rep calling tomorrow about machine. It sounds like the can be very annoying to have on. I'm already dreading it as I have a neck problem. I didn't get any details from consultant other than had it and I need a machine. I'm not even sure whether I'm a mouth or nose breather. I start the night as a nose breather. I have allergies and a very large sinus polyp and as I said neck problems so I wonder if all or any of these contribute.

According to my consultant everyone is a nose breather,he asked me why I was using a face mask instead of a nose mask and when I replied that I was a mouth breather he said that I was misinformed.
    Try and get a nose mask, much better and more comfortable that face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Just diagnosed with sleep apnea. Rep calling tomorrow about machine. It sounds like the can be very annoying to have on. I'm already dreading it as I have a neck problem. I didn't get any details from consultant other than had it and I need a machine. I'm not even sure whether I'm a mouth or nose breather. I start the night as a nose breather. I have allergies and a very large sinus polyp and as I said neck problems so I wonder if all or any of these contribute.

The noise might not be as bad as you think. I quite like it and it helps send me off to sleep. If you sleep with someone the biggest nuisance is likely to be small blast of air that blows forward from the from of the mask. The best solution is probably a pillow or large teddy bear in the middle of the bed to block the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I have a full mask (mouth and nose) and after a couple of days got used to it. The noise is insignificant. I've been dreaming like nobodys biz since I got it (this means I am now getting into deep sleep, had not been for over 10yrs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

have you looked at getting an advancment mandibular device?
    what level of apnoea you been diagnosed with?
    consultant should of given you a score of the level of apnoea based on how many times an hour you stop breathing. i was mild at 7 but 15 on my back,. wasnt keen on machine either and actually told try the mandibular device first
    cost 700e..overall its been a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

" i was mild at 7 but 15 on my back"

Is this a common phenomenon? If so, it could mean that if I revert to sleeping on my side I could have a milder setting on the CPAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I vary from 4-15, can't figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Is this a common phenomenon? If so, it could mean that if I revert to sleeping on my side I could have a milder setting on the CPAP.

sleep test result was an average score of 7 (mild apnoea) however when on my back during an hour the times i stopped breathing was as high as 15 (per hour)

that ok for ya?

Jaysus... while it is no doubt a pain and inconvenient you will be glad to hear your scores are on the low side lads. Mine was 67!!. Using CPAP I am down to below 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Mine was 15 and as of this morning following a routine check up, it's now averaging 1.5

I've also made moves to buy the machine. Was paying 100.86 a month for it, they've told me I can purchase a brand new version of the same machine off them for 600 + VAT.

Does anybody know if there is any reimbursement is available from Revenue for the rental of this equipment? Surely it's classed as medical equipment.

Mine was 15 and as of this morning following a routine check up, it's now averaging 1.5

I've also made moves to buy the machine. Was paying 100.86 a month for it, they've told me I can purchase a brand new version of the same machine off them for 600 + VAT.

Does anybody know if there is any reimbursement is available from Revenue for the rental of this equipment? Surely it's classed as medical equipment.

I'd have thought u can put it on your med1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi, just to give you a perspective from my side; my partner is the one with sleep apnea.

He was diagnosed in 2008 and has been using the RESMaster Auto CPAP ever since.

He uses a mouth-mask because he can't wear his glasses to watch telly if he wears a nose-mask.

He absolutely hates wearing the mask but he is used to it and knows how important it is. He is very good about wearing it and he never sleeps without it. The nurses at his clinic were very impressed because apparently not everyone wears it every night, even though they should.

The CPAP treatment has not improved his quality of sleep; he still falls asleep during the day, still feels tired.

He has annual check-ups at the clinic and fills out the form which asks the usual "Do you feel your apnea has improved since starting CPAP treatment?" questions and he always answers the same. No.

His machine works fine, mask is fine, readings are unchanged.

The noise from the machine can get loud at times if the pressure is set too high and the breeze is cold if he faces my way but I don't let him face my way!

I don't know what else to say, apart from it's something he uses nightly and it does the job but it hasn't made a world of difference to his tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

fussyonion wrote: »
    Hi, just to give you a perspective from my side; my partner is the one with sleep apnea.

He was diagnosed in 2008 and has been using the RESMaster Auto CPAP ever since.

He uses a mouth-mask because he can't wear his glasses to watch telly if he wears a nose-mask.

He absolutely hates wearing the mask but he is used to it and knows how important it is. He is very good about wearing it and he never sleeps without it. The nurses at his clinic were very impressed because apparently not everyone wears it every night, even though they should.

The CPAP treatment has not improved his quality of sleep; he still falls asleep during the day, still feels tired.

He has annual check-ups at the clinic and fills out the form which asks the usual "Do you feel your apnea has improved since starting CPAP treatment?" questions and he always answers the same. No.

His machine works fine, mask is fine, readings are unchanged.

The noise from the machine can get loud at times if the pressure is set too high and the breeze is cold if he faces my way but I don't let him face my way!

I don't know what else to say, apart from it's something he uses nightly and it does the job but it hasn't made a world of difference to his tiredness.

I have noticed something similar myself – I started using CPAP in May – initially I noticed a bit of extra “pep” on waking but after a few months it was back to normal. I still persist in using the machine as I’m at an age when stroke and heart issues can be common and sleep apnea can be a factor in this.

I also suffer from very mild narcolepsy. This is separate from Apnea so no matter how good a night’s sleep I might get, I can still get very drowsy spells during the day. Maybe he should get checked out for this, if only for piece of mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Got my result of UARS - not surprising in the end as that one seems to be jaw structure which is definitely my problem. going for the cpap hospital test in a couple weeks. Fingers crossed it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi guys, anybody know if any alternative treatment to machine?

I had tried it for a few months and was taken off it because it wasn’t inproving my quality of sleep but I wasn’t given any alternative suggestions.

The consultant said that he could see from the machine readings that it was doing it’s job but if it wasn’t improving my sleep it wasn’t worth using!

I was going to phone sleep Ireland and talk with my GP but was curious if anybody had any other ideas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Woke up this morning and have a mild swelling under my left ear along my jaw line. On googling same... could be a Saliva Gland blockage.

Am worried that the straps of the mask could be putting pressure on same as I sleep

Also... had stopped using the water containers now for the summer months... but will probably start back using same on a 4 tonight in case the lack of moisture in my mouth is the issue

Will watch same during the day and make a deciosion on a doctor call later

Anyone else come across this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Drumpot wrote: »

I had tried it for a few months and was taken off it because it wasn’t inproving my quality of sleep but I wasn’t given any alternative suggestions.

The consultant said that he could see from the machine readings that it was doing it’s job but if it wasn’t improving my sleep it wasn’t worth using!

I was going to phone sleep Ireland and talk with my GP but was curious if anybody had any other ideas?!

That's odd, mine had been talking about looking at lifestyle stuff e.g. caffeine intake, antihistamines, surgery if the result turned out to be serious
    Isn't there the dental device as well to open airways?

Drumpot wrote: »

If the machine is working ie. the sleep apnea condition is no more then your quality of sleep issue is caused by something else.

I'd argue that if apnea is a problem/condition you have then you should continue to use the machine. If you are/have been having apnea/hypopnea events then these are putting pressure on all parts of your body. If the machine is working for you then these events are minimised if not eradicated altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hey, these questions have already probably been answered a million times, but I can't see exactly where, so if someone has a second to answer that would be great.

I suspect I have sleep apnoea. Is my next step a GP, or do I go to a consultant or which? I'd like to avoid a GP's charge if it's not needed.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Hey, these questions have already probably been answered a million times, but I can't see exactly where, so if someone has a second to answer that would be great.

I suspect I have sleep apnoea. Is my next step a GP, or do I go to a consultant or which? I'd like to avoid a GP's charge if it's not needed.

Google Epworth Test and see your scores.... anything over 15 makes you a strong case for a professional assessment

I got a 10, there, but I'm always tired. Partner says I do a snore and have lost my breath in mid sleep quite a few times. Just wondering if I can bypass the GP. Will they send me to someone I could have just done straight to?

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I got a 10, there, but I'm always tired. Partner says I do a snore and have lost my breath in mid sleep quite a few times. Just wondering if I can bypass the GP. Will they send me to someone I could have just done straight to?

I'd say that the GP would get you an appointment quicker than going solo....and its keeps him in the loop on results etc. €40 well spent I would have thought....

Also - before you go on to a sleep-study test - I am sure the Doctor would monitor your Blood Pressure over a 24 hr period to see what your BP readings were reaching throughout the night.

personally - I would rather keep the Doc in the loop....there might be other underling causes for snoring (diet/ overweight / excessive drinking etc)....

Don't skimp on this....its value for money for a change!!

Ok, I'll do that so. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I started at GP... then onto consultant. Consultant great at keeping GP in the loop once the sleep study is done etc. Also from my experience the consultant arranged the CP very efficiently..... I imagine they all have a direct connection to the providers but have a good idea what might work best.

Started with GP onto private consultant who sent me back to CUH clinic.
    Moved GP after moving house and was encouraged me to wait for a public appointment, ended up seeing John Kiely in Mallow hospital and it was well worth the wait.
    Did a load of tests, breathing, allergy etc and changed me from a full face mask to a nasal pillow, absolute transformation in sleep quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Masala wrote: »
    Woke up this morning and have a mild swelling under my left ear along my jaw line. On googling same... could be a Saliva Gland blockage.

Am worried that the straps of the mask could be putting pressure on same as I sleep

Also... had stopped using the water containers now for the summer months... but will probably start back using same on a 4 tonight in case the lack of moisture in my mouth is the issue

I have recently started to use the water again also, however the hose is not heating up. Anyone found this problem? Don't know if it's the hose or the water container causing the issue.

Masala wrote: »

Wow I had not put 2 and 2 together.. my problem is the eustachian tube... About a mth into using CPAP the hearing in my left ear has been affected. Doc says this draining tube is the problem.. I wonder might the CPAP straps be part of the problem?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Wow I had not put 2 and 2 together.. my problem is the eustachian tube... About a mth into using CPAP the hearing in my left ear has been affected. Doc says this draining tube is the problem.. I wonder might the CPAP straps be part of the problem?

It might be worth loosening that side of the straps... that's what I did.

Also went back to using the water as was worried that lack of moisture was causing saliva glands to work overtime !!!!!! I got my lump down over a few days by sucking lemon wedges to stimulating the blockage!!!! All back of an envelope diagnosis ... but all clear since I started the above

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From another thread;
    Gillo wrote: »
    Is it not awkward to sleep with a machine like that?
    I'm not knocking the medical benefit's but I toss and turn in my sleep so imagine if anything I'd be constantly waking up- most mornings I wake up on my chest and face pretty much in the pillow so imagine the mask being pressed into your face. I'm genuinely curious to hear what it's like to use that machine as I snore a a lot.
    I generally wouldn't toss and turn, but for those who did; was wearing the CPAP device inconvenient?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

the_syco wrote: »
    From another thread;

I generally wouldn't toss and turn, but for those who did; was wearing the CPAP device inconvenient?

My comment on that thread:
    I have been using a CPAP for around 15 years. I toss and turn and the mask stays on for me.

I used to like sleeping on my stomach, but can't now and eventually my sleeping self learned this.

At first I found it awkward, as most do. It's just second nature now and the mask doesn't cause an inconvenience no matter how much I move.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    From another thread;

Your less likely to toss and turn with CPAP, nasal pillow is the way to go.

Advertisement