Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RobertKK wrote: »
    They voted to remove the 8th amendment from the constitution.

You don't have to start name calling by saying I am a liar. It surely isn't that hard to be civil, I can disagree and stay civil about things. It would be nice if one could receive similar civility.

Coming from somebody who would have been quite happy for the referendum not to be passed and women to have to continue to make the trip to england i find that a bit hypocritical. Civility should extend a bit further than the person you are talking to at any particular time. You showed absolutely no civility to women affected by the 8th during the referendum campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They voted to remove the 8th amendment from the constitution.

Yeah, and when everyone thought it was going to be close , the no side tried to scaremonger by saying the proposals would all come to fruition. Thinking people would reject it. Instead they overwhelmingly supported it.

Time for people to shut up and let what the voting public voted for to be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Time for people to shut up and let what the voting public voted for to be introduced.

doesn't work like that, i'm afraid. i thought you are in favour of democracy?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

doesn't work like that, i'm afraid. i thought you are in favour of democracy?

Oh great. End of the road. Back with their anti choice agenda again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,315 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh great. End of the road. Back with their anti choice agenda again
    I really like that poster.
    For one reason, they "thanks spam" a lot. Meaning they don't post a lot but they thank a lot of posts. It means that any time a post is thanked by them (especially if it's only them) it is likely a nonsense post and can be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I'm sorry but we live in a democracy, and you wanted the politicians to have the power over this issue. Now that is a problem too...

Politicians need to give representations for the views of their constituents - not their own personal views. THAT is anti democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

ELM327 wrote: »
    I really like that poster.
    For one reason, they "thanks spam" a lot. Meaning they don't post a lot but they thank a lot of posts. It means that any time a post is thanked by them (especially if it's only them) it is likely a nonsense post and can be ignored.

End o thanks spams because they get banned from most threads for posting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

According to that article, the only amendments that might conceivably be passed by the Senate are liberalising ones..

This nearly happened:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1213/1016979-politics-abortion-bill/
    On Tuesday, a group of pro-choice senators put forward an amendment at committee stage seeking to remove the word "serious", because they felt the risk of threat of harm to a woman should be a high enough threshold to access to abortion.
    The amendment was put to a vote at Report Stage today and defeated by 15 votes to 12; which means the word "serious" remains.

But it didn't, so full steam ahead:
    Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, Ms Noone - who chaired the Oireachtas committee on the Eighth Amendment - said she expects the legislation to reach President Michael D Higgins' desk "very, very soon."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

How was he going to block it?
    He had every right to have his voice heard in the Seanad, as did every other senator.
    Debating a bill in the houses of Oireachtas should have varied opinion, otherwise we have a serious problem in this country.

You talk about people blocking. I would be seriously concerned with our parliament if people who were elected in either chamber and were not allowed to oppose a bill. What is happening with this bill. Politicians oppose all the time in our parliament.
    All I see is people getting their knickers in knots because it is Ronan Mullen, who has every right to oppose if he as a legislator believes so.

Well then maybe the good senator should have spent more time putting forward more of his own well thought out amendments instead of putting forward word for word ammendments from Mattie et al , that had been defeated in the dail.
    Even if by some miracle they got passed in the seanad they would have been rejected again in the dail.
    Nothing but an attempt at delaying the bill to make himself feel better and get back pat's from the anti choice/religious groupies.
    People aren't giving out because Ronan used his voice. It because he didn't use his voice for anything meaningful.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/every-county-bar-two-has-gps-willing-to-carry-out-abortions-893245.html
    Every county, bar two, has GPs willing to carry out abortions

Fun guessing game:P: Leitrim? Roscommon?

Any word of MDH signing the bill? I thought it was supposed to be this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

According to the constitution it has to be signed within 5 to 7 days of being submitted to him. It can't be sooner than that.

Life ain't always empty.

According to the constitution it has to be signed within 5 to 7 days of being submitted to him. It can't be sooner than that.

Bill completed its passage through the Seanad on thursday night but it's not clear when it was 'submitted' to the Pres. How does that work anyway, slipped through the Aras letterbox? If that happened at some stage on Friday, then I suppose MDH has to put his John Hancock on it tomorrow if the proprieties are to be observed...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It can't be sooner than that.

it can

with the agreement of the Oireachtas the President can be asked to sign sooner. However, I presume he hasn't been asked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

How does that work anyway, slipped through the Aras letterbox?

Army deliver it to Aras and it is formally received there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Honestly never thought I’d see the day in my lifetime. :) (before the referendum results, I mean. Obvs I knew it was going to happen after the ref happened)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

:)

VUpUUUj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s such a mess isn’t it?

Huge amount of GPs and consultants (media hasn’t picked up on this yet) won’t take part in this and as far as I can make out simple Simon is just whistling hoping something drastic will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What is a 'huge amount' and what prevents they clients from simply going to others who will?

No need to hope though, something drastic has changed today already.

Of course there will be a handful of GPs who will take part but the vast majority won’t.

If you want to know why then direct your queries to simple Simon

Define a handful
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/abortion-taoiseach-says-around-60-gps-can-provide-service-1.3526634
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he thinks 50 or 60 GPs would be sufficient to carry out abortions given that just six women in Ireland seek medical abortions every day.

Guarantee you the number participating will be a multiple of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Of course there will be a handful of GPs who will take part but the vast majority won’t.

The vast majority don't need to. Contrary to what the anti choice side spouted before the referendum there isn't going to be a swarm of woman rushing to the doctor's because their holidays are going to be upset. The country only needs a couple of hundred doctors, which they will have no problem in getting. I'll will take a couple of months to get to full coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is a service that will be availed of by about 80 women per week. Don't know the number of GPs signed up but a relatively small number scattered across the country should have little difficulty providing an adequate service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s such a mess isn’t it?

Huge amount of GPs and consultants (media hasn’t picked up on this yet) won’t take part in this and as far as I can make out simple Simon is just whistling hoping something drastic will change.

Each county only needs a smattering of GPs taking part to easily cover demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Care to back that up with... Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Irish Family Planning Association have announced they intend to provide abortion services up to 9 weeks in the New Year:
    "The Irish Family Planning Association provides a full range of sexual and reproductive health services in its two not-for-profit medical clinics at 5-7 Cathal Brugha St, Dublin 1; and Level 3, The Square Tallaght, Dublin 24. The clinics will begin taking appointments for the new abortion care service on Wednesday 2nd January 2019 for the first appointments on Monday 7th January 2019."

They've also said it's dependent on the necessary supports and protocols being in place.
    "IFPA Medical Director, Dr Caitriona Henchion, said: “Our abortion care service can only begin as planned if the medication and pregnancy tests are supplied on time, and the protocols for rhesus testing and the provision of anti-D are finalised. Most important is the referral pathway.

“Our clinics will be providing early medical abortions up to nine weeks’ gestation. Patients who have their first appointment with us and are between nine and 12 weeks pregnant will need to be referred for hospital care. We cannot arrange those first appointments until we are certain those referral pathways are in place.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

NuMarvel wrote: »

And... does the new law prevent protests? Because it'll be tested probably starting just after new year's. Maybe the GDPR can be brought to bear on some of the 'pro-life' types - if they take photos (for example), without consent they can be liable for major damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let's counter-protest! I'm sure those who had those angels' wings can dig them out of the attic...

GDPR or not there's no law against taking photos or video in a public place as there is no expectation of privacy.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The Irish Family Planning Association have announced they intend to provide abortion services up to 9 weeks in the New Year:

They've also said it's dependent on the necessary supports and protocols being in place.

What's your point? This seems fairly logical to me?

BBFAN wrote: »
    What's your point? This seems fairly logical to me?

No point as such. Just informing posters. It was expected that the IFPA would offer abortion services, but I think it's useful all the same to see them confirm the details and start dates of their service.

And it's also a useful counterpoint to those who claim (without evidence) that only a handful of GPs will provide abortion services in early pregnancy, because it shows that GP clinics won't be the only places where these services will be available.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    And... does the new law prevent protests? Because it'll be tested probably starting just after new year's. Maybe the GDPR can be brought to bear on some of the 'pro-life' types - if they take photos (for example), without consent they can be liable for major damage.

I think Harris said a law on exclusion zones will be introduced next year. In the meantime, any demonstrations/protests will be subject to the current public order laws.

And I don't think GDPR can be used to stop taking photos in public places. However, I think it can prevent the distribution or publication of those photos without the express consent of those who are identifiable in the photos. Not a GDPR expert though, so don't quote me on that.

Advertisement