Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Billy86 wrote: »
    Slight tangent, but has any console seen a run of smash hit exclusives like the PS4 has in the last two years or so? I'm on PC and moving country at the end of the year, to be honest I'm beyond any remote doubt now that I'll be picking up a second hand PS4 with a good dozen or so games easily.

It's been great with games like Persona 5, Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn & God of War is fantastic. Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding & Last of Us part 2 coming.
    If you haven't got a PS3 it's better with stuff like the Uncharted trilogy, Last of Us & Shadow of the Colossus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's been great with games like Persona 5, Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn & God of War is fantastic. Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding & Last of Us part 2 coming.
    If you haven't got a PS3 it's better with stuff like the Uncharted trilogy, Last of Us & Shadow of the Colossus.

YAKUZA 0 !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

SeantheMan wrote:
    YAKUZA 0 !!!!!

Naming games I have or am close to finishing. Yakuza 0 I'm miles behind on & am intimidated that 1-5 are getting remakes too with Yakuza 6 too :eek:

ERG89 wrote:
    Naming games I have or am close to finishing. Yakuza 0 I'm miles behind on & am intimidated that 1-5 are getting remakes too with Yakuza 6 too

3,4 and so on will be remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

1 had been remastered and is out in Europe, called Yakuza Kiwami. 2 has been remastered and is releasing this summer called Yakuza Kiwami 2. 3,4 & 5 remasters are all in the works , should release about a 6 months to a year after their Japanese release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PSP has one of the finest libraries of any console...
    I'd go so far to say that both systems have line ups of exclusives that put to shame the PS4 and XBox One.

Nonsense. On metacritic the Psp's top 5 games are only between 89-91% which is very poor compared to the top ps2/ps3/Xbox360/DS games, and the vita only manages 2 games above 88% making is one of the worst consoles. The ps4 is a superb console, it's got some great exclusives, 33 games at 89% or above on metacritic (true lots aren't exclusive). I know your whole point is exclusives but I'm not seen that many exclusives with great reviews. I guess my whole issue with the psp/vita is the fact that it's more of a if I need a 4th or 5th console I will get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Meta critic is not a barometer of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes it is, it's as close as your going to get to general opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TotalBiscuit has passed away:

https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/999787845127634944?s=21

I was far from a fan of his work and often disagreed profoundly with his stances... but always admired his honesty and bravery when it came to his battle with cancer. Nobody deserves that miserable disease. RIP to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

John Bain aka TotalBiscuit died yesterday after a long battle with cancer. I loved his 'WTF Is..' videos. Always my go to when I wanted to see how a game played without some annoying ****head roaring at me.

R.I.P John

#****Cancer

https://twitter.com/GennaBain/status/999785407087808512?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Extremely shocked to see the news of TB passing away. When I saw his update a week or two ago I knew it wasn't going to end well, but I didn't expect it to be so soon.

I'd the good pleasure of working alongside Slanik at Blizzard and he spoke pretty fondly of his time on WoW Radio. I was a big, big fan of his and I can say honestly he was extremely popular in the office too.

He moved away from WoW at the right time for him, going from Blue Plz! to Cynical Brit and his famous WTF is series.

The man was a total advocate for gamers and gamers consumer rights, and will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Metacritic is literally a barometer of quality.

The quality of a game is completely subjective and based solely on opinion. Metacritic is as much of an aggregate of those opinions as possible. Is it flawless? Absolutely not. But how else can we measure the quality of games in any kind of realistic, non-subjective way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I liked his WTF videos too. No bull****, straight to the point. I find that any gaming video that begins with "Hi guys" or "Ok Guys" is absolute trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just sow myself about TB. Like him or hate him, but he was extremely important person in gaming community. For me personally, he was one of the first youtubers I actually subscribed to and he started off my subscriptions list on youtube.

RIP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He was one of the few YouTubers I actually liked. As said above, he was always calm and collected, and covered a wide range of topics.

Terrible for his family, but after the last update it didn't seem like there was much chance. Hopefully they at least had time to prepare for it (as much as can be in a situation like this).

RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As someone who's followed TB for a very long while it's sad to hear; I remember when he originally announced it and his piss off Cancer attitude to it. I believe he was originally given 12 months to live and went on to live for years afterwards which goes to show his willingness to push it. He went over to Coxcon last year even though not being close to 100% and always set the bar high for himself in what to achieve. For a person who was literally sleeping out of his car for a while in his life he had a no nonsense attitude to getting **** done and fighting for the consumer right at all points. As many others with his note that he stopped treatment I still hoped he'd have more months left before leaving us; so very sad to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very saddened by this news. I first got introduced to TB back in his Planetside radio show, knew from back then how talented he was and it was great to see how big he got. This is probably one of the biggest losses to pc gaming, you can probably thank him for the huge amount of indie games you see today. He's a unique individual and we'll probably never see the likes of him again in the gaming scene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

He's the reason for most of the indy games in my Steam library. His Steam sale videos were a godsend. Loved his WTF series and his SC2 stuff too. His WTF is Warhammer 40K Space Marines is the one I always remember because he broke his professional demeanor out of pure enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Very sad to hear, 33 is too young. Thoughts are with his wife and family

His WTF series were some of the very best in the gaming industry. Will be sorely missed. Personally very much aligned with a lot of his opinions and criticisms of the industry in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭Cordell

IMHO he was the best, most honest and no bull**** game reviewer out there. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »

Metacritic is literally a barometer of quality.

The quality of a game is completely subjective and based solely on opinion. Metacritic is as much of an aggregate of those opinions as possible. Is it flawless? Absolutely not. But how else can we measure the quality of games in any kind of realistic, non-subjective way?

Reviews are subjective and can be corrected in retrospect. Applying an arbitrary value to how good a game is is also inherently wrong. Plenty of bad games review well due to hype (fallout 4, gta 4, heavy rain) while classics often get ignored and overlooked or just can't be classified by a 100 point scale (Earthbound, fallout new Vegas, Nier).

I think the relatively low scoring of psp games is a very good indicator that metacritic aggregates should be taken with a pince of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But it is largely subjective just as an example I've not played Nier myself yet depending on who you ask it is either a classic, or a bit of a mess and missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But it is largely subjective just as an example I've not played Nier myself yet depending on who you ask it is either a classic, or a bit of a mess and missed opportunity.

Agreed. "Quality" in terms of a participatory form of entertainment will always be wholly subjective and based not just opinion but also individual experiences (eg. someone playing a horror game in the dark will have a different experience than someone playing during the day with friends around, or a bunch of friends playing a party game will have a different experience than a reviewer playing online with randomers). Even the genre can affect the perception of the quality of the game if you're playing a genre you don't particularly like.

It's immensely broad and subjective. But in terms of any kind of ranking or aggregation of how many people enjoyed the game and to what extent, there's little else to actually go on other than a collection and aggregation of a numerical subjective rating system like Metacritic.

Nier is the best 7/10 game you'll ever play.

And that's why I mentioned it. People that say it's amazing and people that say it's cheap and crap are both right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Reviews are subjective and can be corrected in retrospect. Applying an arbitrary value to how good a game is is also inherently wrong. Plenty of bad games review well due to hype (fallout 4, gta 4, heavy rain) while classics often get ignored and overlooked or just can't be classified by a 100 point scale (Earthbound, fallout new Vegas, Nier).

I think the relatively low scoring of psp games is a very good indicator that metacritic aggregates should be taken with a pince of salt.

Fallout 4 and GTA 4 are both excellent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The mark of a good reviewer is that they can present the product in question in a negative or positive light but can separate their personal opinions from the facts of the game, so you can still get an unbiased idea what the game is like.

I think TB was like that. I can't remember off hand what it was, but I've bought games he poo-pooed off the back of his reviews, and I've been confident in avoiding games he praised because I knew they weren't for me.

Sometimes I wonder about personalities in the gaming sphere and how seriously they take things, when after all's said and done, games, like all passtimes and entertainment, are a bit silly and trivial on a fundamental level. It was something that sometimes turned me off his content, but at the same time, that sort of lack of self awareness and the confidence in what he was doing also made it really good, and would often pull me back in to watch again.

Ultimately, it's churlish to slag someone off for giving a **** about what they did, and even more so if their passion drives them to do their job well. TB certainly did that.

Beyond the obvious sympathy for his family, I feel really sorry for the likes of Jesse Cox, Dodger and the others he's worked closely with. They seemed like a really tightly knit bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ah man I loved TB. I'm very sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Not listened to much TB stuff lately but like most others it was his "WTF is" series that got me listening in the first place.

Also "Port Report" was good for those on PC.

Very tragic givin his age,way to young:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Haven't really watched much of TB's stuff at all, but I still have sympathy for his death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He first introduced me to 'Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons' with his glowing review. I adore the game and will always be reminded of him when I play it.

R.I.P John.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement