Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime hours donated to help widowed father.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

It was a great idea by the HR manager in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭daheff

Saw this and thought it was a wonderful story.

Fair play to them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Not one employee refused, not even those who never met him. Such a heart warming story. I hope the little boy will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

It's an example of one of those rare times in life where there's a win/win situation all round. The dad got to stay with his son without losing his job or income, the company lost no money or working time (and gained enormous kudos) while the work colleagues got to help in a practical way at a time when people simply don't know what to say or do.

I'd love to see this copied elsewhere. Obviously, it was a big company and people didn't need to overextend their overtime donation, but it's a fabulous template.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

No mention if the company themselves donated anything. Pretty pathetic if they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Not one employee refused, not even those who never met him. Such a heart warming story. I hope the little boy will be OK.

Couldn't very well refuse could they.
    Wouldn't be a fan of this kind forced charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

kneemos wrote: »

Jesus, 2.5 hours a week for 2 weeks is hardly forcing them to hand over a kidney, and for this they get huge amounts of peace of mind. First of all they did a great thing, money can't buy that feeling.

PLUS, they know they work in a company where there is now an established policy, semi-official that the workers will look out for each other.

That's priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Sure you could, if I couldn't afford to I wouldn't donate, but if you can afford it you'd have to be pretty heartless not to want to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

kneemos wrote:
    Couldn't very well refuse could they. Wouldn't be a fan of this kind forced charity.

Maybe your opinion would change if you were that father......

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Out of all the charitable acts and donations available to me, this direct and measurable effort would be top of my list. I'm sure workers could have refused if they didn't feel like helping.

If 5 hours extra working time to help a person in need was too much for someone, why would what others might think of their refusal force them into doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

This is verging on emotional blackmail.

You are not allowed to say no to something like this even if you have to.

I agree that it a phenomenal gesture but what would have happened if it was purely voluntary.

Charity and decency at its best. I knew somebody who works in Dublin Fire Brigade and his child was seriously ill in Crumlin Children's Hospital for years and his colleagues had a rota to cover his hours during that incredibly stressful time. It was very little extra to each of them as so many pulled their weight but it meant the world to that family. There remains a hugely inspiring culture of volunteerism in this country and so many of us have been blessed by being touched by that meitheal culture.

And to think there's some ineffably miserable bastards here who wouldn't even clean the snow off the path in front of their house - 'let the old people slip and break their legs - it's not my path!'. The mind boggles at such miserable, myopic fúcktard existences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

but what would have happened if it was purely voluntary.

It wasn't compulsory, anyone could have refused. But, seemingly the company is deficient in its number of crabby, selfish fcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

It wasn't compulsory, anyone could have refused. But, seemingly the company is deficient in its number of crabby, selfish fcukers.

So Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Any scheme like this is open to abuse and short changing by unscrupulous employers. The legitimate question is asked did the employer make a contribution to the time-off scheme? If they got 100% of the workers to agree to this imposition was it due to intimidation and not wanting to be seen as contrary to opt out? Was emotional blackmail used?

I used to work for a multinational where the office staff used to organise farewell presentations for the admin staff but collect from everyone, including the lowly paid floor staff. When a member of floor staff was leaving no such effort was made and they often left empty handed. When a particularly bolshy and independently thinking member refused to pay into the next collection for one of the office staff he was upbraided and intimidated until he raised the subject with HR and the greedy office staff were told to lay off. All our eyes were opened to the duplicitous nature of this scheme, whereby office staff got going away presents and the floor staff got none although everybody was forced to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I know for a fact that prison officers have done similar in either/both of the Laois prisons.

They've helped recently widowed colleagues (nursing staff and prison officers) with young children, by donating either overtime or holiday hours, so that they can have extra paid time off to be with their children.

Some people just rally around to support others during their most vulnerable times.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭tigger123

There's no amount of paintballing weekends or team building exercises that could buy the kind of commardarie that will be in that workplace after that.

So Easy.

Your either trolling or your a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

650 staff worked around 3250 hours over 18 months. Roughly 5 hours each for 18 months. Works out at around 20 minutes a Month. If it's an hour a week then maybe "emotional blackmail" may be an issue but 20 minutes a Month, 5 minutes a week, Cmon lads. It was a great initiative

doolox wrote: »
    Any scheme like this is open to abuse and short changing by unscrupulous employers. The legitimate question is asked did the employer make a contribution to the time-off scheme? If they got 100% of the workers to agree to this imposition was it due to intimidation and not wanting to be seen as contrary to opt out? Was emotional blackmail used?

I used to work for a multinational where the office staff used to organise farewell presentations for the admin staff but collect from everyone, including the lowly paid floor staff. When a member of floor staff was leaving no such effort was made and they often left empty handed. When a particularly bolshy and independently thinking member refused to pay into the next collection for one of the office staff he was upbraided and intimidated until he raised the subject with HR and the greedy office staff were told to lay off. All our eyes were opened to the duplicitous nature of this scheme, whereby office staff got going away presents and the floor staff got none although everybody was forced to pay up.

Plenty of companies like this and normally the culture is faily toxic in these cases.

Big multinational that I workd for had created an office in the Philippines. When a lot of the guys homes were damaged during a hurricane the company refused to allow collections to be done to support them. Most of the staff just went ahead and did them anyway.

In this case it appears voluntary, but given the situation if faced with the similar even if you didn't like the person personally it would be for their kid that you're giving.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    No mention if the company themselves donated anything. Pretty pathetic if they didn't.

And if it were mentioned no doubt the same poor judges of character/people whose default disposition is misery would be saying it's a cheap public relations stunt from the firm. Why is it so hard for some people to understand that many/most people actually feel good by being able to help?

Perhaps if these people familiarised themselves with the story of Chuck Feeney it might open some decidedly closed world views and idiosyncratically miserable personal philosophies:

Chuck Feeney: the billionaire who gave it all away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Fairplay to his co-workers such a sad story, I hope the lad pulls through.

Some of the replies in this thread are scary - forced charity, I can only hope that you are never in a position to be looking after a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

professore wrote:
    doolox wrote:
    This is verging on emotional blackmail.

What's going in in your head that you see an uplifting story and look for a negative angle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Fair play to his colleagues.

What's going in in your head that you see an uplifting story and look for a negative angle?

Agree with what your saying but would be good to know if the company (top level management) did help the guy out financially too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Agree with what your saying but would be good to know if the company (top level management) did help the guy out financially too

All I read was that the HR managers decision was supported my senior management.

https://www.9news.com.au/good-news/2018/02/08/11/50/colleagues-work-overtime-to-help-dad-care-for-sick-son

Your Face wrote: »
    All I read was that the HR managers decision was supported my senior management.

https://www.9news.com.au/good-news/2018/02/08/11/50/colleagues-work-overtime-to-help-dad-care-for-sick-son

Just wondering as management would be on salary with time in lieu instead of overtime in Germany.

Would have been a bit harsh if the management not to support the move, as in not allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Charity and decency at its best. I knew somebody who works in Dublin Fire Brigade and his child was seriously ill in Crumlin Children's Hospital for years and his colleagues had a rota to cover his hours during that incredibly stressful time. It was very little extra to each of them as so many pulled their weight but it meant the world to that family. There remains a hugely inspiring culture of volunteerism in this country and so many of us have been blessed by being touched by that meitheal culture.

And to think there's some ineffably miserable bastards here who wouldn't even clean the snow off the path in front of their house - 'let the old people slip and break their legs - it's not my path!'. The mind boggles at such miserable, myopic fúcktard existences.

I think i know the person you are talking about. Are his initials BT? If not it has happened twice!

My own sister and brother in law went through hell for a year, their 10 month old was diagnosed with cancer and spent a year fighting it before passing away. My brother in law worked for a large very famous company and they gave him all the time off he needed, all his colleagues were understanding and more than willing to work extra shifts to help him out when he returned.

You never know when it could be you next, and you'd hope people would be kind and generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think its a great thing they did for their collegue.
    but i think it sets a dangerous precident. i would support it but i can see how it would create a lot of problems down the line if it took hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DubInMeath wrote: »

Surely the senior management contributed solely based on the fact that they allowed and facilitated this happening?

Thats not insignificant, they basically paid this guy despite him not actually doing any work for months on end, its one thing to say that his productivity was covered but still there are places that would have seen things differently, that would have wanted the overtime done and the guy to do his own work.

Advertisement