Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anthony Harvey director of They Might Be Giants and The Lion in Winter has died at 87.

France's national icon Johnny Hallyday died earlier this week. He made a couple of films including a few totally out there such as Terminus and Crimson River 2 but perhaps most famously of all he took the lead role in Johnnie To's wonderfully demented and violent as hell Vengenace.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bruce Brown documentarian and director of Endless Summer & On Any Sunday died Sunday aged 80 RIP.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bruce-brown-dead-director-surf-film-endless-summer-dies-at-80-1066682

As someone who has spent my life surfing Endless Summer was movie that inspired myself and may others to follow the dream I spent most of my 20's chasing that endless summer and got to see the world doing it thank you Bruce.

Hiep Thi Le (from Oliver Stone’s 1994 film Heaven and Earth) has died of complications from stomach cancer at 46

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Hiep Thi Le (from Oliver Stone’s 1994 film Heaven and Earth) has died of complications from stomach cancer at 46

That VHS will have to be pulled out over Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

HeatherMenzies.jpg
    Sound of Music actor Heather Menzies-Urich, who became famous after playing Louisa von Trapp, has died aged 68.

The Canadian-born actor’s death was announced by the estate of the musical’s creators, Rodgers and Hammerstein.

She was diagnosed with brain cancer a month ago and died on Christmas Eve surrounded by her family, her son Ryan confirmed.

Menzies-Urich was just 14 years old and had no acting experience when she landed the role of the third-oldest von Trapp child in 1964 in the movie starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/dec/25/sound-of-music-actor-heather-menzies-urich-dies-aged-68

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Peggy Cummins. Actress from the B&W era. Played the love interest in the excellent Night Of The Demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Director Hugh Wilson has died at 74: he started in TV, working on The Bob Newhart Show and later as creator of the legendary WKRP in Cincinnatti. (Seriously - if you've never seen any WKRP, there's a hole in your comedy education.)

Then he moved in to movies, writing and/or directing the original Police Academy, Guarding Tess, The First Wives Club, Dudley Do-Right and Blast From The Past. There's a nice tribute by writer Ken Levine at his site here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Peter Wyngarde has passed away.

Of him Wikipedia says "Peter Wyngarde's date and place of birth, his birth name, and his parent's nationalities and occupations are all disputed". Truly, then, an international man of mystery and quite in keeping with his flamboyant dress sense and villainous, upper class accent.

I know him as Klytus from Flash Gordon.

Actually, there's an ad on the radio at the moment with a Dracula character with a voice very similar to his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Peter Wyngarde has passed away.

For me it had to be Jason King

Edit:

Just read his notes on IMDB - facinating stuff
    One city which left a lasting impression on him was Shanghai, where he had been temporarily left in the care of a Swiss family whilst his father was away in India on business. The year was 1941, and amidst a mass of turmoil and confusion, news broke that the Japanese had captured the city, and before long, Peter and his surrogate family found themselves in Lung Hau concentration camp.

Confined in these desperately brutal conditions for four years, Peter struggled to prevent his family and friends from dying at the hands of the cruel and barbaric soldiers who governed the camp, and on one occasion while running errands between accommodation huts, he was discovered and punished by having both his feet broken with a rifle butt, and then put into solitary confinement for two weeks.

• Advertisement

Here's a short interview with Hugh Wilson on how he got in to film directing with Police Academy: it was basically his "payment" for fixing the script. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Film producer Allison Shearmur has died at just 54: the films she produced included three of the Hunger Games films, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Star Ward: Rogue One and the upcoming Solo. She was the wife of English film composer Edward Shearmur.

Actor Reg E. Cathey, who played Freddy on “House of Cards” and appeared in “The Wire,” has died. He was 59.

Known for his distinctive baritone voice, Reginald Eugene Cathey began acting in 1984 in a television movie called “A Doctor’s Story.” He guest starred on numerous television shows, playing Norman Wilson in seasons four and five of “The Wire” as well as in “Grimm,” “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” “House of Cards,” and drama “Outcast.”

Cathey won an Emmy for outstanding guest actor in a drama series in 2015 for his work on “House of Cards.” He was previously nominated in 2014 and received another nomination in 2016 for the same role.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/obituaries-people-news/reg-cathey-dead-dies-the-wire-house-of-card-1202694366/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Damn! He was a fine character actor and such an amazing voice. Loved him in The Wire and his short stint in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Man, that’s a real tragedy. His soundtracks to Arrival and particularly Sicario were a big part of why those films packed the punch they did. Sicario’s propulsive percussion was the kind of thing cinema surround sound was designed for. RIP.

John Gavin, a Hollywood veteran who appeared in classic films Psycho and Spartacus, has died aged 86.

The American actor who once served as US ambassador to Mexico under Ronald Reagan, died Friday morning (9 February) after a battle with leukaemia.

Gavin - real name John Anthony Golenor - enjoyed a high profile in Hollywood following his debut lead role in Douglas Sirk film A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958), a melodrama revered for its depiction of Germans towards the end of WWII made just 14 years after it ended. Gavin starred in Imitation of Life a year later alongside Lana Turner and Sandra Dee.

He followed that up with a role in Alfred Hitchock's horror Classic Psycho, in which he played Sam Loomis, the boyfriend of Janet Leigh's doomed Marion Crane, and Stanley Kubrick's Oscar-winning epic Spartacus as Julius Caesar opposite Kirk Douglas' titular slave.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/john-gavin-dead-psycho-imitation-of-life-james-bond-a8203996.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jóhannsson is a huge loss. One of the most promising composers to emerge in the last decade. And he was just starting to spread his wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Marje wrote: »
    Actor Reg E. Cathey, who played Freddy on “House of Cards” and appeared in “The Wire,” has died. He was 59.

Known for his distinctive baritone voice, Reginald Eugene Cathey began acting in 1984 in a television movie called “A Doctor’s Story.” He guest starred on numerous television shows, playing Norman Wilson in seasons four and five of “The Wire” as well as in “Grimm,” “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” “House of Cards,” and drama “Outcast.”

Cathey won an Emmy for outstanding guest actor in a drama series in 2015 for his work on “House of Cards.” He was previously nominated in 2014 and received another nomination in 2016 for the same role.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/obituaries-people-news/reg-cathey-dead-dies-the-wire-house-of-card-1202694366/

Reginald E. Cathey also appeared briefly as "Al" in American Psycho. A memorable scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Reginald E. Cathey also appeared briefly as "Al" in American Psycho. A memorable scene.

Very sad. I'll always remember him for his excellent turn as Martin Querns in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BeginAgain

Ren Osugi

Japan Times
    Japanese actor Ren Osugi, best known for his supporting roles in director Takeshi Kitano’s yakuza films, died Wednesday from a heart attack, according to TV Tokyo. He was 66.

According to the network, Osugi had complained of stomach pain on Tuesday after shooting scenes for the TV drama series “By Players.” He was taken to hospital later that night and died early the next morning.

Osugi appeared in numerous movies and TV dramas and was well-known as an outstanding actor having played a wide variety of characters, with roles ranging from a gangster to a family man.

The Tokushima Prefecture native joined a theatrical company in 1974 and made his film debut in 1980.

His film credits include roles in Kitano’s “Sonatine” and “Hana-bi,” as well as “Postman Blues” directed by Sabu, and Yoichi Sai’s “Inu Hashiru.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Emma Chambers from Notting Hill dead at 53

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43183354

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Have never seen Notting Hill, but I've seen a good bit of the Vicar of Dibley over the years, in which she was great fun. Fifty three is no age.

Bud Luckey, Oscar-Nominated Animator Who Designed Woody for 'Toy Story,' Dies at 83.
    The early Pixar employee also created counting cartoons for 'Sesame Street' and voiced characters in 'The Incredibles' and 'Winnie the Pooh.'
    Bud Luckey, the Oscar-nominated animator whose charming Sesame Street cartoons taught generations of children how to count and who is credited with coming up with the cowboy design for Woody of Toy Story, has died. He was 83.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bud-luckey-dead-oscar-nominated-animator-who-designed-woody-toy-story-was-83-1088229

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lewis Gilbert has died - best known for James Bond, esp Roger Moore era and two great Michael Caine films - Alfie and Educating Rita.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/27/spy-who-loved-me-alfie-lewis-gilbert-dies-michael-caine-james-bond

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Lewis Gilbert has died - best known for James Bond, esp Roger Moore era and two great Michael Caine films - Alfie and Educating Rita.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/27/spy-who-loved-me-alfie-lewis-gilbert-dies-michael-caine-james-bond

Good innings for him. Directed his last film 15 years ago at 82. He did 3 Bond films, You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Film Producer Benjamin Melniker died aged 104.

https://batman-news.com/2018/02/27/batman-film-producer-benjamin-melniker-has-died/

Film Producer Michael Uslan left this tribute for him on Facebook.
    It is with such sadness that I tell you of the passing of my Batman partner, the legendary Benjamin Melniker (1913-2018).

“Legendary” is the only word capable of describing the man who started work at MGM in late 1939 and came to be known as “The MGM Lion” for his forcefulness in negotiating the deals for the studio while building his reputation for integrity at the same time. It was Ben who taught me, “The only thing you get to take with you when you die AND leave behind is your good name.”

Ben ascended at MGM, becoming sole Executive Vice President and all divisions reported to him. He was also Chairman of the Film Selection Committee and a member of the parent Loews board. Ben put together the deals for Ben-Hur, Dr. Zhivago, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Gigi and their musicals of that Tiffany era of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. He was invited to the White House by LBJ along with Lew Wasserman, Arthur Krim, and the other studio heads to form the MPAA. Ben negotiated the Paramount Consent Decree of 1948 in which the government ordered the split between Loews and MGM. He appeared before the Supreme Court with also legendary lawyer, Louis Nizer. In the 1970’s, Ben invented the Canadian Tax Shelter deal used to finance many movies of that era.

In 1979, Ben believed in me and in my outlandish idea to buy the rights to Batman in order to show the world the TRUE” Batman as created in 1939 by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, a creature of the night who stalks disturbed villains in the shadows, in a series of dark and serious movies. Ten long years later, thanks to the relentless efforts of Ben, we succeeded, changed the comic book industry, changed the movie industry, and changed history.

Ben was a humble man, never wishing attention. He turned down endless requests to write his book or do interviews about The Golden Age of Hollywood, especially in his latter years as he became the last mogul standing from that era. He told me that he knew all the stories of what transpired behind the curtain at MGM in those decades, but would never reveal things that could negatively impact those people, their children or their grandchildren. Ben was a mensch.

He owns the Hollywood record books as far as I can tell. He actively worked in the industry over nine decades, and this year will still receive on-screen credit past his 105th birthday. Not only was he active in the industry for 79 years, he was sharp right up until the last day.

I’ll finish my tribute with a story. Back in the early 1990s, Ben and I set up a deal at Hanna-Barbera. The executive there informed us that Joe Barbera was in his office that day and asked if we would like to meet him. I was excited. Ben didn’t say a word. As we walked into Joe Barbera‘s office, he looked up, ran over and gave Ben a bear hug as tears were streaming from his eyes. He turned to me and said, “If it wasn’t for this man, there would have been no Hanna-Barbera… No Flintstones, no Jetsons, nothing!” He went on to explain that it was Ben who pushed Fred Quimby to hire Joe and Bill Hanna initially in the MGM animation unit. When MGM was closing the animation unit, Joe and Bill went to Ben and explained they were going to leave to try to set up their own company. As a thank you to them in appreciation for all their hard work, he said Ben arranged for them to have the rights to “Tom and Jerry” for an upfront payment of $10 in order to help them start their business.

That was Ben. “The MGM Lion” had a soft side and at the end of the day it was all about integrity.

He was my partner. He helped make my dreams come true. He was my second father. I always knew this day had to come, but after 105 years, I never thought it would.

“Benjamin Melniker.” Remember the name. He has left it behind for all the rest of us to aspire to.

10584109_1751485604914553_825567901852578738_n.jpg?oh=5d62a1bfa32907efc0604e88b40803ca&oe=5B0A5FDC

https://www.facebook.com/TheMichaelUslan/photos/a.654623804600744.1073741825.385460978183696/1751485604914553/?type=3

Fine age. He certainly lead a wonderful career. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

David Ogden Stiers , most notably known for playing DR. Charles Winchester III in M*A*S*H (October 31, 1942 - March 3, 2018), of bladder cancer
    http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/david-ogden-stiers-dead-dies-mash-1202716860/

Advertisement