Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs to open on Good Friday

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

We did what now exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Cue the annual "Should pubs be closed on Good Friday?" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Pubs are open one more Friday of the year.
    Woohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Looks like half the country gonna rise from the dead the next day so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ah, probably won't bother stocking up or having a drink this year then.
    Is meat still banned? As long as I can still enjoy my sacrilicious BBQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thats my day off work ****ed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Every Friday is a good Friday, but next good Friday will be a good good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'll be a mad sesh this year and then that'll be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

St Patrick's Day #2 here we go fuckin yes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

seamus wrote: »

Arthur's day part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Thats my day off work ****ed now.

Only day off in the year is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

seamus wrote: »

Nope
    Paddy’s day was drink banned and look whatvhappened there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Oh dear, no more drama anymore and people who normally have a few drinks at home on a Friday anyway making a big deal of having to 'stock up' on cans at 10pm on Holy Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

I completely disagree with closing a business because of religious purposes. But seriously, it’s one day a year to let the staff have a Friday off. They work unsociable hours all year, the one day a year was a deserved break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The airport and train stations will be empty now as the alcos can go hang at the end of their usual bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The power of lobbying.

There was a lot of 'will someone think of the poor tourists.... God love them'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Phew - the publicans are saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Means Good friday is becoming another regular day in the calendar. All us non public sector workers will now lose our unofficial day off.....just like 6th december.

Careful what you wish for boardsies. Law of unexpected consequences at work here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Pints before and after the stations of the cross, lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Phew - the publicans are saved!

But the off licences are screwed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Only day off in the year is it?

It used to be a nice little 4 day weekend for hospitality staff the same as it is for a lot of other workers in the country.
    But not any more.
    But hey! As long as we stuck it to those evil archbishops then that’s the main thing...isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

daheff wrote: »
    Means Good friday is becoming another regular day in the calendar. All us non public sector workers will now lose our unofficial day off.....just like 6th december.

Careful what you wish for boardsies. Law of unexpected consequences at work here

I have never had Good Friday off. In office work and labouring on sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"eugh can Irish people just not drink for one day"

Sure. Depends on who's asking us not to, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

splinter65 wrote: »
    It used to be a nice little 4 day weekend for hospitality staff the same as it is for a lot of other workers in the country.
    But not any more.
    But hey! As long as we stuck it to those evil archbishops then that’s the main thing...isn’t it?

But they'd be working the other 3 days anyway??

One thing i would have done is to extend the Christmas day closure until 12.30pm on Stephens Day to stop the ridiculous nonsense that happened in Donegal of nightclubs opening just after midnight. The workers in that case should have had the right to fully enjoy their day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

splinter65 wrote: »
    But not any more.

Nothing stopping a bar or hotel from closing for a day or two to give their staff a day off

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

whiskeyman wrote: »
    But the off licences are screwed!!
    I think we should boycott pubs on Good Friday for the craic now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think we should boycott pubs on Good Friday for the craic now

Whaaat??? But what about all the people who want to make a point by going to the pub on Good Friday, whether it really suits them to go or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

daheff wrote: »

WTF falls on Dec 6th?

Advertisement