Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Really Scared You As A Child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Wurzel Gummage. The c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Happy Haloween Silver Shamrock scared the living day lights out of me.

"It's still running on Chanel 3, stop it, stop it, stop it. "
    I was literally praying for them to stop the add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Skull from The Last Unicorn. The sound of his bones and him "drinking"... Used to terrify my in my dreams. Wasn't helped that I suffered from Glandular Fever once a year when I was younger, and during the bouts of hallucination, this coont was always standing above me, touching my arms, laughing. I could feel the roughness of his bones... Even now I shudder at the thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the thoughts of a flu like pandemic, that the government got complete control over the people and told them what to do, while drip feeding information to keep the public scared of something, that 90% of people dont need to worry about...

that was just me though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Soviet Union.
    How did that old Intourist slogan go ?

"Visit the Soviet Union, before the Soviet Union visits you"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Doctor Who - Cybermen (1970s type) :(

Daleks didn't scare me so much, but the Cybermen had me checking under the bed and hiding behind the sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Feenix wrote: »
    Wurzel Gummage. The c**t.

That bugger scared the bejesus out of me as a kid. I remember seeing a box set in some video shop in Dublin about twelve years ago and almost had 'Nam like flashbacks to hiding behind the couch as a kid whenever that came on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This bastard...

billy-goats.jpg

The bane of my single figure childhood. Every nightmare he infected and the only way I could get rid of him was with a loud scream. He became a kind of fixation for kid me, cos I knew that when a dream turned bad, he'd be showing up soon.

emo72 wrote: »
    Space 1999 dragons domain episode. How the **** did this pass the censor for children's TV. Oh yeah we had to censor out the suggestion of a nipple on TV, but tentacled life force flesh stripping aliens? Yeah that's fine.

https://youtu.be/tvyWfwT5nwU

I remember that. I also remember these buggers...

alienblob.jpg

LOL, Saturday morning with the parents in bed and me on me tobler, watching 'Space 1999', shitting myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ghostwatch. Was a little older than a “child” though.
    the pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Gorn from Star Trek
    StarTrek-Gorn.jpg
    Especially when he walks right into the camera. I almost ruined me Y-Fronts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I nicked one of my brothers Stephen King books when I was 11. I was a bright kid so the words and descriptions flowed over me with instant understanding. What I wasn't prepared for was the indelible impression his words would have on me as I read the first 100 pages of Salem's Lot, a novel about vampires living in a modern American small town.

I was full of bravado about all the minor scares up to that point, but the scene where the gravedigger is filling in the grave of a 12 year old boy who was found dead with most of his blood removed, stayed with me forever: the chap was working alone and dusk was rapidly spreading over the empty graveyard. He couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching him from inside the coffin. The feeling grew as strong and as fast as night was creeping in. Unable to bear it anymore, he throws away the dirt of the half filled grave, busts the lock open on the coffin and lifts the lid. And looks directly into the wide-eyed, smiling boy who was indeed watching him all along.

I slammed the book down and fled the room, despite it being the middle of the day! Couldn't sleep with the light off for weeks, was terrified of going to the toilet alone in the night and generally prayed for a time machine where I could revisit a world where I didn't read that chapter. Its a testament to how talented the man is to describe scares so skilfully and vividly but ill never forget how scared it made me!!!

I nicked one of my brothers Stephen King books when I was 11. I was a bright kid so the words and descriptions flowed over me with instant understanding. What I wasn't prepared for was the indelible impression his words would have on me as I read the first 100 pages of Salem's Lot, a novel about vampires living in a modern American small town.

I was full of bravado about all the minor scares up to that point, but the scene where the gravedigger is filling in the grave of a 12 year old boy who was found dead with most of his blood removed, stayed with me forever: the chap was working alone and dusk was rapidly spreading over the empty graveyard. He couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching him from inside the coffin. The feeling grew as strong and as fast as night was creeping in. Unable to bear it anymore, he throws away the dirt of the half filled grave, busts the lock open on the coffin and lifts the lid. And looks directly into the wide-eyed, smiling boy who was indeed watching him all along.

I slammed the book down and fled the room, despite it being the middle of the day! Couldn't sleep with the light off for weeks, was terrified of going to the toilet alone in the night and generally prayed for a time machine where I could revisit a world where I didn't read that chapter. Its a testament to how talented the man is to describe scares so skilfully and vividly but ill never forget how scared it made me!!!

I found the baby vampire particularly creepy. Also there was a special edition with extra content in it and there is a part where the grumpy school bus driver gets his commupance, really terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Tony EH wrote: »
    This bastard...

billy-goats.jpg
    Looks like:

Bertie-Ahern.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

^^^ uncanny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Jaws really scared me because the shark seemed to just pop up everywhere. The characters kept getting attacked by JAWS who would jump out of any dark hole or behind some rock or weeds it seemed like they were never safe from him lurking. I was terrified that he would jump up through the floorboards of my house and swallow me, my babysitter assured me that I was safe due to the lack of water under my house but still did nothing to comfort me.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

The film Neverendiing Story.

When the horse died in the quick sand- I have never got over it.

Either have I. Cannot watch it, even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The TV programme, Garda Patrol.

It convinced me that Ireland of the 80's was full of murderers, miscreants and sheep stealers.

Looks like:

Bertie-Ahern.jpg
    Very apt as Bertie trolled the entire nation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

When I was a kid there was nothing that freaked me out more than the tongue twisters on Bosco.

I used to run out screaming when they came on apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

The night before I started 6th class I watched the first Paranormal Activity movie with my cousin who was was a few years older than me.

Scared **** less doesn't even come near it. I was sleeping with my parents for a month.

Looks like:

Bertie-Ahern.jpg

I think the troll had a bank account though.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Jaws really scared me because the shark seemed to just pop up everywhere. The characters kept getting attacked by JAWS who would jump out of any dark hole or behind some rock or weeds it seemed like they were never safe from him lurking. I was terrified that he would jump up through the floorboards of my house and swallow me, my babysitter assured me that I was safe due to the lack of water under my house but still did nothing to comfort me.

I used to be terrified to use the toilet at night in case Jaws got me. :pac:

Can you imagine...a 25ft great white hiding in a jacks waiting for a 6 year old to have a pee at 4 in the morning.

He'd be looking at the watch on his flipper, "...any minute now..."

Great white sharks are known for their epic patience.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tony EH wrote: »
    I used to be terrified to use the toilet at night in case Jaws got me. :pac:

Can you imagine...a 25ft great white hiding in a jacks waiting for a 6 year old to have a pee at 4 in the morning.

He'd be looking at the watch on his flipper, "...any minute now..."

Great white sharks are known for their epic patience.

I’ll just leave this image here then so... :D:pac: I had Jaws 2 on VHS recorded off the telly as a kid - loved the scary bits!

11417_21ux2nbzvnlpiuzl.jpeg

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I’ll just leave this image here then so... :D

Well, they don't bother me any more. :D

I kinda became a bit fascinated by sharks a little later in life. Very interesting and very misunderstood creatures.

Ray Bradbury had a short story about clowns. Whenever a child got lost at the circus they would grab them, take them to their tent and eat them :eek:
    It wasn't just a few bad-eggs, according to Mr B all clowns do it!

Another of his books, 'something wicked this way comes' was about a creepy circus and it had a horrible fortune teller/witch in it who was terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭sbs2010

My brother told me if you looked into a mirror at midnight you would see the Devil. Freaked me out for years when it started to get late.

Still get a bit edgy at 11.59

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

A series called 'Space 1999' was one of my favorites as a child in 1975. But the episode 'Dragons Domain' freaked me out.

Go to 25:48
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvyWfwT5nwU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I lack the words to explain this properly but with gaps in it that I could potentially fall through, e.g. cattle grids, those grid usually over the cellar outside a pub, stairs where you could see through the steps etc.

Despite being too big to fail through any of them, they really really terrified me. I was a weird child.

Advertisement