Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

groom wrote: »
    What will be different about it (other than the optional plug)?

Nothing afaik, just they will start selling it in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

On sale in UK now, you can buy it on Amazon for £30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

shockwave wrote: »
    On sale in UK now, you can buy it on Amazon for £30.

Spotted on Hukd, get £5off
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/socialmedia/promotions/anc_mothersday2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Just ordered one, came to £25.75 with the discount (around €31) :).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Can someone link the chromecast on amazon, not coming up on my search?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

By the way the Chromecast does not work with all routers... you may want to check that your router will support it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭droidman123

Will this work on a "non smart" TV once the TV has a HDMI connection,or does it have to be a smart TV? Sorry if this has been addressed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Will this work on a "non smart" TV once the TV has a HDMI connection,or does it have to be a smart TV? Sorry if this has been addressed before.

Tis one of the main reasons to purchase chromcast...to make a dumb TV smart. So Yes, is the answer to your question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭droidman123

Tis one of the main reasons to purchase chromcast...to make a dumb TV smart. So Yes, is the answer to your question

Thanks,I,m definitely gonna get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

This looks really interesting.
    But i'm mightily confused with all these newfangled gizmos. I'm generation X, not a skinny-jeaned milllenial so barely know what netflix is, :D:pac: so be kind.

Seriously though, we're talking about streaming content from Chrome browser (have) from a smartphone (i have)/tablet (have)/PC with Windows 7 (have) to a hd TV (not sure if i have, how do i check this, i have a hdmi slot on my TV).

But where is the content from.
    What app do i need to install.
    Or is it an addon for Chrome.
    Is it free (It's Google so i'm hoping yes).
    What cool stuff do you recommend to stream (movie services, music etc) with this.

I need to lie down. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Just FYI, Plex now works without Plex Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Can anyone confirm if xbmc can be installed/run on the chromecast independently or only streamed to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

akamossie wrote: »

An extra tenner though, may as well just go with Amazon.

An extra tenner though, may as well just go with Amazon.

£30 is €35 - this is including shipping. i am sure with amazon you will have to pay something.

i'd say it could be around the same price at the end.

akamossie wrote: »
    £30 is €35 - this is including shipping. i am sure with amazon you will have to pay something.

i'd say it could be around the same price at the end.

You can get it for £25 on Amazon with the Facebook promotion they're doing at the moment. And it qualifies for super saver delivery so no need for parcel motel. It'll end up costing about 30.

You can get it for £25 on Amazon with the Facebook promotion they're doing at the moment. And it qualifies for super saver delivery so no need for parcel motel. It'll end up costing about 30.

Thanks for the clarification TheTechGuy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

Can't see that promotion any more, any other 5 quid off ones working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

VikingG wrote: »
    By the way the Chromecast does not work with all routers... you may want to check that your router will support it first.

What about the UPC standard one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well stuck in an order last night for a chromecast off amazon, will be interested to see what we can and cannot do with it. I doubt I'll have it before next week as picked free shipping and sent to parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Well stuck in an order last night for a chromecast off amazon, will be interested to see what we can and cannot do with it. I doubt I'll have it before next week as picked free shipping and sent to parcel motel.

There is no need to Parcel Motel Amazon super saver delivery stuff as orders over £25 include free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

kn wrote: »
    There is no need to Parcel Motel Amazon super saver delivery stuff as orders over £25 include free delivery.

As mentioned by another poster it suits me as there might not be anyone in to take the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

£29 in Dixons in Heathrow, loads of availability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

What apps can we use over here, in the republic, apart from the standard youtube, chrome etc. without the need for rooting the stick or using proxys etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Piliger wrote: »
    What about the UPC standard one ?

Works fine with mine - Cisco EPC3925.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

got mine today, I had netflixed my tv in the bedroom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Tinie wrote: »
    What apps can we use over here, in the republic, apart from the standard youtube, chrome etc. without the need for rooting the stick or using proxys etc.?

There's a free one called Localcast for Android on play store that always you to stream video, music and pics from your droid device, works quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

As mentioned by another poster it suits me as there might not be anyone in to take the delivery.

If its not registered post. My postman just drops it on the door step

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Will this work on a monitor with HDMI support ??

Advertisement