Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the pros Met Eireann are hiring.

• 06-09-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭

For the professionals out there who want to improve the Irish forecast or get to the bottom of the Shannon radar issues.
    Met eireann are looking for a
    A Hydrometeorologist (a flood expert). I didn't know such a thing existed.

And a normal forecaster.

Details on publicjobs.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id work for Met Eireann for free.

My whole day is spent looking at weather anyways.

Would have needed a Hydrometeorologist this evening. Absolutely poured for 10 minutes and flooded the whole garden even though the radar showed showers in Ulster only!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Looks more like a flood forecaster hydrologist than what's usually meant by a hydrometeorologist I'd say.

Like most ME jobs, money is crap for what they want you to have and Irish conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you have to be accurate?
    Most of the stuff I've read on the ME site in recent times has been off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The country will see some sunshine, other areas will see rain, other areas will be overcast but generally nice, some strong winds expected along the west (throw in a few other meteorological terms and pointy figure at a map of Ireland)

Do I get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Unless you're an existing public servant or working in certain public bodies, appointees start at the beginning of the incremental scales. Guess how I found this out :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Unless you're an existing public servant or working in certain public bodies, appointees start at the beginning of the incremental scales. Guess how I found this out :(

It's really limiting the applicants I reckon.. it's grand for Irish people maybe but anyone international (which is sort of necessary when flood forecasting isn't a big thing in Ireland) who has that much knowledge and experience will earn much more money by going to work for a consultancy or insurance company in London or the Netherlands

Advertisement