Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half price digital sub to Irish Times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Nesser wrote: »
    Lots of newspaper websites have limits on number or articles that can be read on free version. Usually 10 per week. In practice if you are getting your news from multiple sources you will go nowhere near this limit.

Yep. I have a few apps for newspapers and the Zinio app which I use in conjunction with my library membership gives an even further spread of papers and magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Nesser

adox wrote: »
    Because it isn't available for free.

Oh yes it is. I hope you didn't pay before you realised that it was available for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Oh yes it is. I hope you didn't pay before you realised that it was available for free.

I didn't sub to it but you don't have unlimited access like the subbed version from what I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭clevtrev

you are limited to 15 articles per week with the free app and 10 articles on your PC which is probably enough for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

You are factually incorrect. Access to more than 15 articles requires payment. Access to epaper also requires payment.

Also limited access has been applied to independent.ie (and some U.K. Papers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

HonalD wrote: »
    You are factually incorrect. Access to more than 15 articles requires payment. Access to epaper also requires payment.

Also limited access has been applied to independent.ie (and some U.K. Papers)

Ah yes - but the Indo is pure muck. Thanks for the BA OP - signed up yesterday. There's an ePaper app for iPhone in case anyone likes their news the older fashioned way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

clevtrev wrote: »
    you are limited to 15 articles per week with the free app and 10 articles on your PC which is probably enough for a lot of people.

If you open each article in a private tab it's unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

There could be a limit but I found that if you open an article directly from google then it will always display. But good to have someone support these enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pm1977x wrote: »
    If you open each article in a private tab it's unlimited.

whats a private tab? An extension on Firefox/Chrome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Mariana Wet Prison

€8 for 12 months(0.15 cent per week) doesn't even seem the hassle of workarounds.

Thanks OP.. Bought

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    whats a private tab? An extension on Firefox/Chrome?

No, private browsing/incognito mode, just click settings and you'll see it there somewhere though Im surprised if thats all it takes to get by them counting how many articles you've viewed.

€8 for 12 months(0.15 cent per week) doesn't even seem the hassle of workarounds.

Thanks OP.. Bought

I thought it was 8 per month?
    Your subscription will be billed €8 per month for the first 12 months and €16 per month thereafter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks OP.. Bought

To be clear, the half price offer seems to be €8 per month for 12 months (i.e. 96 euro in total) rather than €8 for the full 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Nesser

Still puzzled as to why people on this thread consider paying €96 for something that is available free to be a "bargain" And saying stuff like "But it's not unlimited if I don't pay €96 " (when it kinda is and they would never use the theoretical limit anyway)
    To be frank I think they're suckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Mariana Wet Prison

penguin88 wrote: »
    To be clear, the half price offer seems to be €8 per month for 12 months (i.e. 96 euro in total) rather than €8 for the full 12 months.

My bad..I missed the small print:)

Still at €2 a week it's still a deal. I'd normally buy one or 2 newspapers a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

Still puzzled as to why people on this thread consider paying €96 for something that is available free to be a "bargain" And saying stuff like "But it's not unlimited if I don't pay €96 " (when it kinda is and they would never use the theoretical limit anyway)

The main advantage of a subscription is that you get the e-paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is limited if it is 'free'. Some people a newspaper cover to cover. If you read all the business articles for a day, you have used up your weekly allowance.

If people want quality journalism, you are going to have to pay for it. Other we will only be left with the likes of thejournal.ie or a paper owned by a certain billionaire with everything robbed off another paper or heavily edited to suit the 'shareholders values'. I personally think supporting an independent news source for €8 per month is a bargain. Otherwise we might be left with no independent newspapers

So have they reported anything anybody else didn't this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

yoppy wrote: »

This year is only a day old, give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

yoppy wrote: »

It's not always about the exact story that's reported, they tend to have much better analysis of social and political issues than other papers. The debate that's spawned from that very often sets the news agenda as much as the "breaking headlines". I think most people who read the IT look to it for that more than for novel news stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

It's not free... there is a huge difference between the free app and the actual e-papers the e-paper is exactly the same as the physical paper you purchase in shop including all magazines and sports highlights which can be watched from a tab in the sports section... this is a very good deal the Sunday paper is 3 quid alone...and I find the sports coverage excellent...with the E paper you have to download the content each morning with a different app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

harr wrote: »
    It's not free... there is a huge difference between the free app and the actual e-papers the e-paper is exactly the same as the physical paper you purchase in shop including all magazines and sports highlights which can be watched from a tab in the sports section... this is a very good deal the Sunday paper is 3 quid alone...and I find the sports coverage excellent...with the E paper you have to download the content each morning with a different app

I was about to post this same thing, I can't believe people can't see the difference. The app versions of the Irish Times, Independent, etc are nowhere near the same as the digital versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

It's not always about the exact story that's reported, they tend to have much better analysis of social and political issues than other papers. The debate that's spawned from that very often sets the news agenda as much as the "breaking headlines". I think most people who read the IT look to it for that more than for novel news stories.

The debate and trending sections are available on the free app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I get the saturday paper delivered and have epaper access. Its absolutely fantastic. Until someone shows you the actual epaper on a tablet/phone, you wont realise how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Site says "Voucher valid until June 30th 2017"

Might look at taking this up in June as thats when my sub to english Times runs out. E-Paper is the best way to read a paper when travelling by Plane or Train or Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Sub is free for students or if you still have your college email address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Sub is free for students or if you still have your college email address

do you have a link to that - can't see it mentioned on the sub page of the irish times?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

I had it for a few months on the cheap last year and it was excellent. Completely different than the app. If I could find a way to get the sunday Times along with the weekly epapers I might resub. Cant seem to see the Sunday epaper on offer, only the Sunday roundup of the weeks events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Subbed.
    thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

ablelocks wrote: »
    do you have a link to that - can't see it mentioned on the sub page of the irish times?

2nd result on Google... https://www.irishtimes.com/student-hub/signup

Advertisement