Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We really should enjoy him while he's here, he's a once in a generation type player, Martin McHugh in his day is the only one that comes near his talent and influence in my time following the county team.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

K-9 wrote: »
    We really should enjoy him while he's here, he's a once in a generation type player, Martin McHugh in his day is the only one that comes near his talent and influence in my time following the county team.

Spot on, my father went to the County final, his first game in upteen years, brother was home from abroad, so both went to it....but he could not get over the brilliance of Murphy, had a special word for big Neil too right enough..

As for past players, thought Tony Boyle at his best was a joy to behold as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Well there were plenty here telling us that Donegal were a real contender for 2013.
    The league relegation is a big problem for Donegal, and the fact that they did better in the league in 2013 than in 2012 matter not a hoot cos they got relegated in 2013
    Ulster has become more competitive in 2014, Tyrone will improve, Cavan are beginning to build and will learn a lot from 2013, Monagahn may not learn as much but as defending champs they will be competitive.
    So playing against the lesser lights in Div 2 will not be of the same benefit to Donegal as playing Div 1 would be when they get to the summer.
    That being said they could be a Semi Final team come August depending how draws go etc
    Jimmy's commitment to Celtic and his new back room team will have a big baring on how they get on.

Disagree. Cavan will be out first round imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

didnt get to it... was at the FAI cup final but great result for Glenswilly today beating St. Galls. Roslea Shamrocks next up on November 17th, away that weekend tho too, club championship hasnt fallen well for me at all this year:mad:

haha just found St Gall's set sights on Uslter crown
    first hurdle :pac:

Will the Quigleys be back for Roslea? Glenswilly have a real chance of getting to the final. The standard in Fermanagh is poor.

• Advertisement

Donegal have been asked to explain their controversial club fixtures schedule with the GAA's powers that be.

Not a fan of postponing all matches until after the championship, i dont see why we are being pulled up on it though, other counties have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't know why McGuinness is getting stick for it either, my understanding was the proposal was to play 2 club championship games first, the decision to defer all games came with the backing of the clubs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't know why McGuinness is getting stick for it either, my understanding was the proposal was to play 2 club championship games first, the decision to defer all games came with the backing of the clubs.
    yea thought that was a better idea for the players (all around)
    clubs didnt want it tho as the bottom falls out of everything else if they are out of the championship.
    it hurts the other junior/intermediate teams tho as the stronger clubs field nearer their first teams in the smaller competitions to give players run outs while they wait on the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=204679

Sounds very dodgy to me.

An inside job?

An truth in the rumours that wee Grace the outgoing treasurer has been seen about the town wearing a fur coat and a crown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

Anyone headin too club final to support Glenswilly?

should be, have missed the last 2 games for various things & healy park isnt far!

i reckon ballinderry gives them a better shot than kilcoo or a full strength Cross would have, so hopefully we can land our second ulster club crown!
    definitely going to be the toughest match for them by far though...

Good comeback today in armagh. Obviously reading nothing into mckenna cup but still prefer winnin. Banty on radio after bit worried that hes playin his big guns this early. Young mcnialis q impressive by sounds of things

Banty is a blubbering idiot. It's a fitness exercise. No more no less.

I felt MacNiallas done well last week also. Got about the place well, he's probaly more dynamic than Rory Kav and certainly more so than Big Neil, although those two are without doubt our first choice when fit.

what the hell is going on tonight?! Donegal 1-9 Queens 3-0 as it stands!

has the uni/county debate gone too far & queens drafted their other football students?

Pipped by Monaghan. Shame, the other two games could have been useful but not to worry. 3 games under the lads belts in the 'could' will have helped. Have a really tricky league start so hopefully we can follow on from two decent wins put our best foot forward.

Highlights... although not great, only show 2 of the 6 goals altho murphy's is a belter (22 sec)
    also incase anyone has missed it, my hope for a gallagher bonner midfield has already gone up in smoke! row at christmas, at least i warned about his attitude! thought he would have lasted a bit longer tho!
    (ended up on page 1 as a reminder... still hating this redesigned boards that doesnt let you go to the last post you read-well on a pc)

overshoot wrote: »

Highlights... although not great, only show 2 of the 6 goals altho murphy's is a belter (22 sec)
    also incase anyone has missed it, my hope for a gallagher bonner midfield has already gone up in smoke! row at christmas, at least i warned about his attitude! thought he would have lasted a bit longer tho!
    (ended up on page 1 as a reminder... still hating this redesigned boards that doesnt let you go to the last post you read-well on a pc)

Sure it's hardly a surprise. I'm a big fan of Bonner as a player but they guys an idiot.

You would have thought with Jim, what he's missed out on and what he could potentially achieve with this squad would be incentive enough to keep the head down but no.

Our mentality has moved on now, he'd have been a perfect one for the 'Party Boys' era but that has thankfully been consigned to the scraphead.

Pity because we could have done with him you know, our cup is not overflowing with natural attacking talent in our half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Not surprised at Bonner - it was always unlikely that he would fit in. The best of luck to him anyway.
    Odhran McNeilis has done well so far this year and could be a HF option. Christy Toye is back in action too - hopefully he'll survive the league and be pushing for a championship place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the story with the Bonner guy?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's the story with the Bonner guy?

Loads of talent, important member of Glenswilly team (current DL SFC champions), was previously on panel over the years and was dropped from it a few times, issues with the discipline required at IC level.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Loads of talent, important member of Glenswilly team (current DL SFC champions), was previously on panel over the years and was dropped from it a few times, issues with the discipline required at IC level.
    yep, even when he was part of the partyboy panel which says it all! There was still a bit of it left when he was first called up i think
    I remember him having a moment in the county semi last year before ardara got themselves back into it, glenswilly were well enough ahead although the officials missed it (i think). If you cant keep your head when its all going your way....

Not surprised at Bonner - it was always unlikely that he would fit in. The best of luck to him anyway.
    Odhran McNeilis has done well so far this year and could be a HF option. Christy Toye is back in action too - hopefully he'll survive the league and be pushing for a championship place.

Christy hasn't been a starter under Jim. Great one there to have to bring on though.

Yeah not surprised that Bonnar didnt last-youd have to ask why he wasnt involved for last 3 years? Id have similar concerns about Leon Thompson tbh.
    Unfortunately because we re desperate for back up Jim took a risk on them.

harpsman wrote: »
    Yeah not surprised that Bonnar didnt last-youd have to ask why he wasnt involved for last 3 years? Id have similar concerns about Leon Thompson tbh.
    Unfortunately because we re desperate for back up Jim took a risk on them.

Thompsons had his share on injuries hasnt he? From what I've been told he was asked back but needed to get a good year or so with the club under his belt first. Whether that's accurate or not I don't know.

He's a good lad though, Thompson. Wouldn't have any of the concerns id have about Bonner about him. Been involved before and done alright, not really sure if he's up to it though. Similar to Colin Kelly, surprised he didn't get a call. Very good for Glenswilly this year in the games I seen.

Thompsons had his share on injuries hasnt he? From what I've been told he was asked back but needed to get a good year or so with the club under his belt first. Whether that's accurate or not I don't know.

He's a good lad though, Thompson. Wouldn't have any of the concerns id have about Bonner about him. Been involved before and done alright, not really sure if he's up to it though. Similar to Colin Kelly, surprised he didn't get a call. Very good for Glenswilly this year in the games I seen.

Kelly can't commit I believe. Thompson is a bit small - him, Hanlon and Jigger will struggle (have struggled) to break into the team I reckon.

Kelly can't commit I believe. Thompson is a bit small - him, Hanlon and Jigger will struggle (have struggled) to break into the team I reckon.

Really don't know why O'Connor is in there. The kid's a great prospect and will go on to great things but he's only a wean. I've seen a smaller player than him (a minor too) tie him up in knots in the intermediate championship this year, I couldn't see him up against IC players just yet.

The experience and everything of being around the panel will do him good, but I'd be surprised if we got any real change out of him until he's out of U-21s.

I remember being in Carrick in 2007 when Murphy saved the day against Leitrim, Murphy was a man, even back then. O'Connor's not. McBrearty's another one who's physically cut out for it and we haven't had anywhere near a consistent return from him.-yet.

Agree re: Thompson. Remember a few years ago we had him, Wappa and Colin Kelly in a front 3 for a league game. :D And people say there's big men in the hills!

Remember thompson i think against fermanagh and cork in 06 and was very nippy and dangerous. I was talkin to somebody who saw him in club champ last year and said he was brilliant. He did tap over a goal chance against cork that probably woulda won it for us. Remember bonner hittin one of the fermanagh lads a shoulder that nearly killed him. Pity hes such a tosser.
    As for colin kelly he opted out in mcivers time cos he likes to go out every weekend. Guess its his own life

harpsman wrote: »
    Remember bonner hittin one of the fermanagh lads a shoulder that nearly killed him
    was that just after bonner had been (fairly) shouldered off the pitch himself? he came back in from the sideline, gave at least twice what he got and to make it worse, the player had never seen it coming? it was also legal but could be a completely different event, thats just the most brutal one i can remember from around that time!

• Advertisement

Yeah. Thats the one. Fermanagh crowd were going mental but as u say it was legal.
    How u all feelin bout this season. Personally im happy enough to be in div 2. Id prefer to be winning games than losing most in div1 and i think the standard is ok. Hopefully win the division and set us up for tricky trip to celtic park

Advertisement