Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Gallagher could do with toning down the antics though until he actually starts fighting good opponents.
    No point calling for a title shot when all you're fighting is low level guys.

That's exactly it though. Nobody would complain if Gallagher was slowly working up, earning his fights, being fed some lower level opposition to build a deserved reputation.

Thats not what is happening though. Bellator are marketing him hard, portraying him as something big. And Gallagher himself is not only playing to that hype, making the "belt around the waste" gesture after beating some absolute bums, he is also irritating the hell out of people with his absolutely cringy McGregor impersonation.

So it's not the fact that he's being fed bums, it's the fact that both Bellator and Gallagher are pretending that it isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Beersmith

So the bellator 227 dublin card is only starting at 1am here? Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Beersmith wrote: »
    So the bellator 227 dublin card is only starting at 1am here? Is that right?

Nope it starts at 4pm

ASOT wrote: »
    Nope it starts at 4pm

Is that not the bellator Europe start time ie the Gallagher part. The hendo jury card is what I'm wondering about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Is that not the bellator Europe start time ie the Gallagher part. The hendo jury card is what I'm wondering about!

WTF are you talking about?

Where the hell do you think anyone is going to get permission to run an MMA event that runs to 3-4am in Ireland?

Gallagher is the main event in Bellator 227, Henderson vs Jury is like 4th or 5th on the card.

The entire event will be finished by 9.30 pm.

Edit:

Henderson vs Jury is actually 6th on the card at the moment.

• Advertisement

WTF are you talking about?

Where the hell do you think anyone is going to get permission to run an MMA event that runs to 3-4am in Ireland?

Gallagher is the main event in Bellator 227, Henderson vs Jury is like 4th or 5th on the card.

The entire event will be finished by 9.30 pm.

Edit:

Henderson vs Jury is actually 6th on the card at the moment.

MMA junkie have the ain Gallagher card at 5pm ET (US eastern time i take it as) and hendo at 9pm ET!

Any other source that clarifies things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

MMA junkie have the ain Gallagher card at 5pm ET (US eastern time i take it as) and hendo at 9pm ET!

Any other source that clarifies things?

If that's the time it's airing in armerica, then it is being shown on tape delay, the prelims will probably start late afternoon / early evening, Main card around 7 or 8, and all done by 11pm latest.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    If that's the time it's airing in armerica, then it is being shown on tape delay, the prelims will probably start late afternoon / early evening, Main card around 7 or 8, and all done by 11pm latest.

Im not trying to be obtuse but what is the main card? Seems like bellator dublin (Gallagher) is the first main card followed by the 227 (hendo). Is is very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Im not trying to be obtuse but what is the main card? Seems like bellator dublin (Gallagher) is the first main card followed by the 227 (hendo). Is is very confusing.

There is no separate card, Henderson and Jury is one fight on bellator 227. The Gallagher fight is another. Both will be on the main card, which will probably start some time around 7pm. I would imagine that the Gallagher fight will be the main event due to it being in Ireland, its definitely being promoted in that way here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That's exactly it though. Nobody would complain if Gallagher was slowly working up, earning his fights, being fed some lower level opposition to build a deserved reputation.

Thats not what is happening though. Bellator are marketing him hard, portraying him as something big. And Gallagher himself is not only playing to that hype, making the "belt around the waste" gesture after beating some absolute bums, he is also irritating the hell out of people with his absolutely cringy McGregor impersonation.

So it's not the fact that he's being fed bums, it's the fact that both Bellator and Gallagher are pretending that it isn't the case.

Exactly. Its Bellator trying to market him as some kind of World beater when he isn't and Gallagher's Discount Conor act talking about how he's the uncrowned Champ while beating the MMA equivalent of jobbers. Plus the little turd nearly **** himself with fear and nearly quit the sport with his last fight. When its time to fight real competition he really will run for the hills with a trail of piss and **** following him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Bellator honestly shouldn't bother. I don't think anyone (other than James' close friends and family) give a **** if he is fighting on the card or not.

I'm going and I have zero interest in his fight.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Bellator honestly shouldn't bother. I don't think anyone (other than James' close friends and family) give a **** if he is fighting on the card or not.

I'm going and I have zero interest in his fight.
    Yeah im planning on going but was also going to leave just before that fight.

dashoonage wrote: »

Why do I feel like Bellator pulled the old Bait and Switch? Promote a fight with Discount Conor against someone worth a damn only to have them pull out mysteriously while getting a total can for him to pad his record while keeping the Main event spot.

This is why I've soured on MMA lately. Too much acting like they're prowrestling promotions instead a sports promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kessler3000

Just on people asking about the time, I expect it to be similar to the London show in June whereby they're billing it as two different cards (227 & Dublin). It's all the one show but they present it as two different shows for TV. The 9-10pm bit from London had two fights and aired on Sky Sports. The 10pm - MIDNIGHT timeslot was 4 fights on Channel 5/Virgin Media Sport. They change around some of the announce team between the two shows.

This will likely be similar so don't be expecting the show to finish til at least 11:30pm. I could be wrong but, from looking at the current lineup, I'd guess their plan is for Henderson to headline the Sky card with Kiefer being the fight before it. Then you've got McCourt, Queally, MVP and Gallagher for the card starting at 10:05pm. They could air some on tape delay and swap around the fight order but I doubt they will.

Start time will probably be 4:30-5pm range, depending on how many fights they end up with come weigh in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Just on people asking about the time, I expect it to be similar to the London show in June whereby they're billing it as two different cards (227 & Dublin). It's all the one show but they present it as two different shows for TV. The 9-10pm bit from London had two fights and aired on Sky Sports. The 10pm - MIDNIGHT timeslot was 4 fights on Channel 5/Virgin Media Sport. They change around some of the announce team between the two shows.

This will likely be similar so don't be expecting the show to finish til at least 11:30pm. I could be wrong but, from looking at the current lineup, I'd guess their plan is for Henderson to headline the Sky card with Kiefer being the fight before it. Then you've got McCourt, Queally, MVP and Gallagher for the card starting at 10:05pm. They could air some on tape delay and swap around the fight order but I doubt they will.

Start time will probably be 4:30-5pm range, depending on how many fights they end up with come weigh in time.

The cut off for 3 arena is 10:45-11

it should all be over for then, big fine if it goes over that I think (charge per minute comes to mind but i could be totally off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

fitzparker wrote: »

it should all be over for then, big fine if it goes over that I think (charge per minute comes to mind but i could be totally off)
    €1000 per minute is my understanding of it. When Eddie Vedder played there a few years ago he was enjoying it so much that when his allotted time was up he walked off the stage, signed a cheque for €25000, gave it to his manager to deal with and walked back on to the stage to keep playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

James Gallagher's new opponent is Roman Salazar. The fight will be a catchweight fight at 140 pounds.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/24347-roman-salazar

Guy Person wrote: »
    James Gallagher's new opponent is Roman Salazar. The fight will be a catchweight fight at 140 pounds.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/24347-roman-salazar

Wow. 13-9 and coming off a loss. They found nothing but the best for Discount Conor. Discount Conor won't make the same money as Conor while fighting nothing but cans and gimme fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Kessler3000

fitzparker wrote: »

I've always assumed similar based on gigs and obviously someone else mentioned the price but the first Bellator show here ran til just after midnight. The one with King Mo in the main event. It had a Bamma undercard that wrapped up just after 9pm. The Bellator part of the card was 4 or 5 fights. It was airing on a few hour tape delay but was taped "as live" scheduled for 10pm so, even with having nearly an hour between the end of Bamma and start of Bellator, they still waited til 10pm for the intro video etc for Bellator and previewed fights with the announcers in the arena for the TV portion of the show. It was odd being live as there was an hour between fights but that's how they had it set up. A fair portion of the crowd left before the main event as it was a long night and was the Friday before Christmas so people were probably heading out etc, depending on the state by that stage! This was known to the arena beforehand as a staff member told me at the start the bar would be open until 11:30pm with the show scheduled to finish at midnight. I think it went til around ten past by the time everything was done (decision if I remember correctly). Anyway, maybe they'll tape delay the fights for TV this time but they have done it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Wow. 13-9 and coming off a loss. They found nothing but the best for Discount Conor. Discount Conor won't make the same money as Conor while fighting nothing but cans and gimme fights.
    Out of curiosity, what record would his opponents to have?

No idea who Salazar is. Anywhere that I can bet on him missing weight?

Mellor wrote: »

No idea who Salazar is. Anywhere that I can bet on him missing weight?

Its catch weight

Its catch weight
    I know. 140lbs
    I think he misses weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Cant say i know much if anything about the technicals of mma but is gallagher not too feather fisted to make any impact on the world stage, his fights are also incredibly boring to watch again maybe due to my lack of knowledge.

Someone on a winning streak atleast. Time for Discount Conor to earn his main event push.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Someone on a winning streak atleast. Time for Discount Conor to earn his main event push.

Agree a win would be better for hyping a main event. But I was asking about record generally. What kinda guys do you (or anyone) expect Gallagher to be fighting - if Belator weren’t into their nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Agree a win would be better for hyping a main event. But I was asking about record generally. What kinda guys do you (or anyone) expect Gallagher to be fighting - if Belator weren’t into their nonsense.

For the push they're giving him, 10 fights deep on a pro career, he should be fighting ranked guys or they should stop the hype job.

For the push they're giving him, 10 fights deep on a pro career, he should be fighting ranked guys or they should stop the hype job.
    He's 10 fights deep as you said. He should be fighting guys with similar or slightly more experience imo. Belator isn't the deepest talent pool though.

They definitely shouldn't be hyping him like they are. But that's not really relevant to my question. And the solution is to stop hyping him, not feed him to Horiguchi.
    As flakey as the UFC rankings are. Something similar would clear up the mess of Belators match making

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have a spare ticket for this event.

Block P , Row 35. Face value (€62). PM me if interested.

Advertisement