Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winning lotto ticket

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'd conclude that life will never be the same again, just probably buy something like a nice shirt on Saturday.

Call in sick on Monday, head up to Dublin on the bus as early as possible.

Have a coffee and breakfast in the city centre, when I feel like it head to lotto headquarters, get my cheque then lodge in the bank.

Get 60 k in cash, obviously they'll be delighted to give it to me.

After that I don't know what..

cjmc wrote: »
    Sign it as cjmc alone owns this ticket.
    I wouldn't do that if you plan on gifting money to family or friends.

For example if you want to give 100k to your favourite nephew or niece, the taxman will take over 20k.

Its much more efficient to divide up the money by making it a syndicate in retrospect - apportioning shares of 0.01%, 0.5%, 1% and so on, as you see fit. That way the gifts are not liable to Capital Aquisitions Tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I never have to worry what I would do because I'd never win it,heh.As that saying goes if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For example if you want to give 100k to your favourite nephew or niece, the taxman will take over 20k.

Its much more efficient to divide up the money by making it a syndicate in retrospect - apportioning shares of 0.01%, 0.5%, 1% and so on, as you see fit. That way the gifts are not liable to Capital Aquisitions Tax.

can you retrospectively create a syndicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

I dont think so. Once you go in with it signed then thats the winners.

I also dont think you can say Uncle Joe gets 0.1% etc

Whoever signs the ticket gets an equal share.

Read that the last time there was a big jackpot

• Advertisement

aktelmiele wrote: »
    I dont think so. Once you go in with it signed then thats the winners.

I also dont think you can say Uncle Joe gets 0.1% etc

Whoever signs the ticket gets an equal share.

Read that the last time there was a big jackpot

feck that so i'll be signing it on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭RichT

I'd put the ticket in an 'extremely safe place', and then go drinking heavily!

I'd while away the rest of the weekend, whilst waiting for the lottery office to open, by trying to find the 'extremely safe place' :o

The only reason I know that is because a representative of the National Lottery was on the radio a couple of years back (Mooney Show RTÉ Radio 1) and said that this is what they advise people to do (create a syndicate in retrospect, on the basis of small shares)

A syndicate is created when the owners sign the back of the ticket, presumable with their 0.5% or 0.1% share stated beside their names.

I do remember thinking it strange that a semi state organisation would be helping people avoid taxes, but I guess they're just being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

We spoke about this in the last thread. If 10 people sign it they're all entitled to 10%.

It may be a nice idea but what happens when your niece realises that the €100k is nice and all but what about €19m? Nothing like money to break up a family.

There was a case of someone letting her son-in-law sign a ticket like this to save some tax and then he brought her to court claiming he was part of a syndicate with her.

Just let them pay the tax, they're still getting free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are no savings products which could accommodate this amount of money. It is not shown here but since 13 July the ordinary Post Office account has put an upper limit of €250K. Credit Unions have limits now as well. Interest rates are very small, and will probably soon be negative for large amounts.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/savings-best-buys.90481/

So living off the interest in the old way will not be possible. But there are lots of other ways to invest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Nail ticket to wall and not leave the ticket for even a second.
    Keep cat away from ticket and no rubbish to go outside.
    Order pizza delivered through window from a fancy restaurant I can't afford- all weekend yum ;)

I'd plan how to hide it was me that won.
    Plan how to donate money to friends and family without them knowing it is me.

Enrol in a college course that I can't afford to do. It is the only reason I do the lotto :D

I'd then moan to myself and others that e190 million is too much money to win. not.

There are no savings products which could accommodate this amount of money. It is not shown here but since 13 July the ordinary Post Office account has put an upper limit of €250K. Credit Unions have limits now as well. Interest rates are very small, and will probably soon be negative for large amounts.

So living off the interest in the old way will not be possible. But there are lots of other ways to invest.

government bonds.

You'd be crazy to keep that kind of money in cash. I assume the Lotto advises people to buy into German Bunds, which although it has negative yield, offers stability that cash deposits cannot. Even with the DGS.

I hate credit cards, I refuse to own one. But if I won the lottery, I think I'd probably keep a relatively small amount of cash on deposit for emergencies, and just rely credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

government bonds.

That is one of the other ways. I did not bother making a list. I only posted the information because I saw a post about living off the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Anyone planning on heading to Dublin on Monday will have to hang around there for a few days- takes about a week before Euromillions cheques are issued.

Regarding hiding tickets...I'd just put it the same place as I did with the last one :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd spend the weekend grumbling that I have to go "the whole way up to Dublin" for some menial administration thing. When I'd be back in work I'd be asking around does anyone know who won the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You could nearly live off the interest anyway.

I wonder how much interest you even get for 5million

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sign ticket. Put ticket into a ziploc bag. Seal bag. Stick bag in bra. Keep wearing that bra until I get to the lotto office.

Sure, I might smell, but the ticket will be safe.

It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was looking on Google play for the app. I cant see it .
    What's its name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone planning on heading to Dublin on Monday will have to hang around there for a few days- takes about a week before Euromillions cheques are issued.

Regarding hiding tickets...I'd just put it the same place as I did with the last one :cool:

At least, I think it can be up to 10 working days - ie two weeks with the very big jackpots. By which point everyone will have worked out it's YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭ Cara Hollow Verdict

You could nearly live off the interest anyway.

Interest rates are now so low that if you now put your money in some kind of deposit account, the real value of the money may fall due to inflation, even if you touch neither it nor the (negligible) interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

Shelflife wrote: »
    So you've won the Euromillions on Friday night all €190m of it !

Youre sitting on your couch, its 9.30pm and you have the winning lotto ticket in your hand.

The lotto offices dont open until Monday at 9am.

What do you do next ? Where do you put the ticket ? do you think you'll sleep over the weekend ?

will you drive to Dublin or take the Train/Bus ?

Not interested in what you do after handing in the ticket just what happens beforehand !

Walk to the pub, drink 7-12 pints, wake up on Saturday morning, hungover, and pray that it wasn't all a winning dream:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Look up the cost of villas in Spain and Portugal and buy one, preferably Portugal

Price a worldwide cruise and book it

Work out how many friends and relatives I actually have.

Buy a site and get Dermot Bannon to design and oversee a modern, A rated Bungalow ( who want stairs over 60)

Make a new will

Enjoy the win

I posted before that I 'felt' I was going to win the big one Dolores Keane won. I was so confident I was going to win it. I got a call that morning to tell me I'd won a all expenses trip to China. Never has someone sounded so disappointed to win a prize like that .
    No 'feeling ' about this one though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.

It is. You pick a few spots to use as your playground like Monaco. You can do lots of things by proxy as well. If you want to go to Portumna in a 60ft yacht it better be one thats about 30 years old. Save the new one for some place nobody knows you. Don't be seen with too much wealth in any one spot

That won't be happening. Flip them . Ways of buying stuff for them without paying 20% tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Wouldn't tell anyone.

Not even closest family.

I'd collect the money, quit my job and go abroad straight away (I literally could too).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It will be won in France. ;)

It's too much for one person really. But we have no say in that.

I don't get this thing about never being able to live a private life ever again. There have been lots of Irish Lotto winners and I cannot remember one of them. Same for euromillions. People move on even if they know who won. Irish people generally respect neighbours privacy apart from RIP.ie etc.

Walked over Howth Head today, glorious day to be alive, and there are some seriously big and mahoosively expensive gaffs up there. Bet one or two won the lotto!

Best of luck everyone, I would love if it was won here, but the populations of other countries might shift it in their favour. Anyway, it's a bit of excitement waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Getting distracted here folks ! Not interested in what you’d do with the money , more what you’d do with the ticket worth €190m !

Personally I think I might go a little mad as I’d be thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong with where I’d put the ticket for safe keeping .

I’d be checking it more often than a first born just home from hospital!

Advertisement