Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zenfone 6 - 855 cpu, 5000mah battery, $499

Comments

No notch, tiny bezels
    Heaphone jack
    Good camera
    Dual sim and sd card slot
    5,0000 mAh big battery - pretty unique
    Nfc, fast charging q.c 4.0 and sd 855

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Really was ready to write this one off and just get the next Poco for another year until I read a hands-on and see they seam to have hit every single one of the things I want(ed) in my next android phone! and that's before we even talk about the 855 Chipset/SD card/two sims/6+RAM on board!

Dedicated (and customisable) button for the google assistant:
    Love that it will start the search as soon as you let the button go and not stay sitting there with the mic turned on while its getting confused by the noise going on behind you while I'm wishing it would just do the darn search already! ...and give me back the audio via the earpiece if I want it

Auto-adjusting ringer volume:
    Hooray! in work I go from loud noise places to very quite office space may timea a day and my phone often blasts out for the whole office to hear and I get the stinkeye from many of them. Motorola had something like this a few years back, surprised its not a standard in android by now.

A full screen: (That's 600 nits bright LCD)
    No frigging notch here! But still a camera for the very rare times I would want one anyway and no screen burn in as I used maps for hours every day.

5000 Mah Battery:
    ... It's got a 5000Mah battery People! oh and QC4.0 to boot!

Darkmode:
    Yep thats right! Out of the box on day one. Even better andriod(s) 10 and 11 updates already confirmed! (I'm calling it now people! google will stop with the food names and start with numbers from this point on.

Headphone Jack:
    yep I have on but I want my next phone to have one too: #BringBackTheHeadphobeJack

Price won't break the bank!:
    Looks to be around the 500euro mark, nice if it holds to that :)

All those reasons (and a few more) I wanted/seen on other phones over the last year and wished one phone just had them all. Even if the camera is s£it but 'OK in good light', I'll probably still want/buy it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

This certainly looks like a great phone, the one concern I would have is with dirt, grit and pocket lint getting into the flip up camera mechanism.

Would be interesting to know how robustly they have tested the mechanism.

invest4deepvalue.com

From the asus unvailing video one of the speakers gave it to his son and that kid really gave the camera mechanism a good going over (for about 10 minutes) real world, MKBHD say it doesn't feel that robust.

Suppose we have to wait and see for Samsung fold levels of braking news...

EDIT: Camera samples hear: (Vs P30Pro) : Remember, this was from a Pre-production unit vs a 'Flagship' device... that costs twice the price

https://www.androidauthority.com/asus-zenfone-6-camera-review-987641/

For anyone interested, some more cam test shootouts. (3 min-videos)

Asus Zenfone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Camera Test Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV40wa3GwGQ

Asus Zenfone 6 vs OnePlus 7 Pro Camera Test Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qfnbKZSQ0

• Advertisement

Interesting extra capabilities of the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Where would be the best place to buy this phone? I really like the look of it. I was going to go for a One Plus 7 pro but I cant justify forking out that much money.

gazzer wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to buy this phone? I really like the look of it. I was going to go for a One Plus 7 pro but I cant justify forking out that much money.

not much availability yet

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-asus-zenfone-6

may well appear up on eglobalcentral soon or maybe honorbuy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Is this now a game changer? Mi9 seemed to have the flagship market cornered and was coming down in price since its release. With a 3rd slot on the Zen you now have up to 1TB of expandability albeit without the wireless charging but the 5000mah battery goes a long way to make up for that. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

I've had the lower spec Zenfone 5 for coming up to a year & am pretty happy with it. Got updated to Android 9 very early compared to other phones. The 6 could tempt me later on in the year once there are some reviews of it knocking around.

• Advertisement

The best thing about the 6 is they have cut right back on the add on apps and made the whole experience so much more stock now, updates should roll out faster now at least.

Best phone in the $500 price range says Dave Lee

(comparison video)

Mi 9 would probably be in there but doesn't have many US LTE bands so probably why it's not in the list

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks to being Qualcomm it has a top notch radio. Me likey.

Zenfone 5 got the May security update yesterday & was one of the first non-Google phones to get 9.0. Huge difference compared to my previous phone, an LG G4, which was abandoned by LG almost immediately.

opus wrote: »
    Zenfone 5 got the May security update yesterday & was one of the first non-Google phones to get 9.0. Huge difference compared to my previous phone, an LG G4, which was abandoned by LG almost immediately.

Dave Lee said all previous Zenfones were not worth considering.

He knows his stuff.

Any android one phone (non-google phones) get monthly security updates and got Pie quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_6-review-1937.php

I'm sold, if only I could figure out where to buy it. Pre-order on Asus UK store is showing as out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

corwill wrote: »

I'm sold, if only I could figure out where to buy it. Pre-order on Asus UK store is showing as out of stock.

Me too. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Seems like the screen is one sub par aspect on this phone.
    Chris says its an "Okay" LCD ips panel.
    In his review he says the screen is the weak spot.
    Similar to one from a medium phone leaning towards a budget phone.
    Not a deal breaker, but sure no phone is perfect.

Otherwise it seems like a fantastic phone. And one I'm considering too. Although the Mi 9T might personally get the nod.

https://youtu.be/GMplpTGC4vY

• Advertisement

It's becoming hard to find a high-end phone with an IPS LCD screen now that the poco f2/k20 has jumped to over too AMOLED. If your a big user of maps (or youtube) this is probably your best device to get.

For that reason alone I think I'll give the F2 a pass and jump on this one as it's life will be in the car running 3 hours screen on per day... even being 100 euro more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

True, it's rumoured the K20 Pro is tipped to be copied for other models.

Mi 9T, possibly with wireless charging etc

Pocophone F2 - no details yet. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a plastic or metal body, but with 8gb ram plus 128gb as the base model. That's what I'm hoping anyhow.

I quite like listening to the radio sometimes if I'm walking around so the fact it has an FM radio makes it appealing. I know if I had a better data plan then this wouldn't be an issue but getting by on 1Gb/month on a very old Tesco Mobile contract which costs me nothing cause of using clubcard points.

Was only seeing sterling price on the UK site. They say a euro price on most reviews but I dont think we can buy from them in euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

god's toy wrote: »
    Was only seeing sterling price on the UK site. They say a euro price on most reviews but I dont think we can buy from them in euro.

Showing as available on their German site, including the 64gb model, for €499, will only deliver to a German address. Shipping on 11 June.

god's toy wrote: »
    It's becoming hard to find a high-end phone with an IPS LCD screen now that the poco f2/k20 has jumped to over too AMOLED. If your a big user of maps (or youtube) this is probably your best device to get.

For that reason alone I think I'll give the F2 a pass and jump on this one as it's life will be in the car running 3 hours screen on per day... even being 100 euro more...

why is that - worried about burn-in on amoled?

MKBHD had a look round it too.

https://youtu.be/ySMGudnpdXQ

glasso wrote: »
    why is that - worried about burn-in on amoled?

Yep had happened on many phones now. For YouTube it was the bars on the screen (vids were not run full screen) and maps put a dark triangle in the centre on may of my ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Showing as available on their German site, including the 64gb model, for €499, will only deliver to a German address. Shipping on 11 June.

https://www.mailboxde.com/

Haven't used it myself but saw it mentioned on boards previously...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Android Authority review is up. Editors choice too Whoop Whoop! :)

Advertisement