Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFO, or the Russians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

It's an interesting one, I listened to the ATC chatter and it seems that multiple sightings were of a light that accelerated at speed from the withnesses left to right, one of the aircraft reported multiple lights and not just a singular one that the other pilots reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yeah, i was listening to that as well. too high for military drones (Preditors max out at 25,000ft) and natural light doesnt zoom off in a different direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Strange there isn't a better description other than 'two bright lights', assuming it came alongside their plane.
    Was there not a mention of hue/colour/shape, or was it simple non-flashing white lights, in uniform pattern.

But interesting mention of bank right and climb at speed (Mach2 is 1534.54 mph in old money)

Wasn't there mention of red light aound Shannon area last month?
    https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/1418450360/2013/04/1418450360_2318626708001_UFO-s-flying-in-formation-over-Cork--Ireland.mp4

Saw a red light(s) behaving strangely, but over on the East coast, few miles offshore about 2mths ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Strange there isn't a better description other than 'two bright lights', assuming it came alongside their plane.
    Was there not a mention of hue/colour/shape, or was it simple non-flashing white lights, in uniform pattern.

But interesting mention of bank right and climb at speed (Mach2 is 1534.54 mph in old money)

Wasn't there mention of red light aound Shannon area last month?
    https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/1418450360/2013/04/1418450360_2318626708001_UFO-s-flying-in-formation-over-Cork--Ireland.mp4

Saw a red light(s) behaving strangely, but over on the East coast, few miles offshore about 2mths ago.
    There was a report of odd lights over Kerry last month or two the night there was a power outage, henace my previous post in this board but haven't gotten much more on it since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

maccored wrote: »
    yeah, i was listening to that as well. too high for military drones (Preditors max out at 25,000ft) and natural light doesnt zoom off in a different direction

Predator are only one type of drones the US and others have low observable UAV or UCAVs that can fly above and beyond predator in ceiling and speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    Russians

Meteorite is the official explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

youtube! wrote: »

Meteorite is the logical explanation.

I can't imagine advanced alien life has nothing better to though than troll aircraft off the coast of Kerry. Esp when they could be enslaving us instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If it was going at mach 2 I am amazed nobody of the ground heard the sonic boom.

There is no way it was the Russians. They don't have the capability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Klingons on the starboard bow I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Hopefully we have a journalist decent enough to follow up with the multiple pilots and get the eye witness accounts. Then compare them against the theories.

i'd go with the meteor theory if they would come out and explain how it could shoot off in a different direction in mid air. I have no idea about meteorites so if they can do it, I'd love to know more. I'd say the pilots saw something and thats its military testing.

Does science say aliens cant exist? I dont think it does. highly unlikely they'd be buzzing around aeroplanes all the same ... not unless they'd been reading douglas adams .. but highly unlikely doesnt mean life cant exist elsewhere.

i'd go with the meteor theory if they would come out and explain how it could shoot off in a different direction in mid air. I have no idea about meteorites so if they can do it, I'd love to know more. I'd say the pilots saw something and thats its military testing.

Does science say aliens cant exist? I dont think it does. highly unlikely they'd be buzzing around aeroplanes all the same ... not unless they'd been reading douglas adams .. but highly unlikely doesnt mean life cant exist elsewhere.

Science argues that in all probability alien life does exist. The universe is too big to just be us. All those aircraft were in different places some heading east, others west. We only have thier eyes and a voice recording to go on. Its hard to know what they seen but again, the US wouldn't test military gear off the coast of Ireland. Not out of respect but practically. If it crashes its lost in the ocean and they can't figure it! West to east US is the same run length as the Atlantic so they even have the distance required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

youtube! wrote: »

A Russian meteorite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Reati wrote: »
    Science argues that in all probability alien life does exist. The universe is too big to just be us.

Aliens probably drive by, lock their doors and speed away.

Earth, the ghetto of the galaxy.

Science argues that in all probability alien life does exist. The universe is too big to just be us. All those aircraft were in different places some heading east, others west. We only have thier eyes and a voice recording to go on. Its hard to know what they seen but again, the US wouldn't test military gear off the coast of Ireland. Not out of respect but practically. If it crashes its lost in the ocean and they can't figure it! West to east US is the same run length as the Atlantic so they even have the distance required!

Lots of UFO reports in ireland and britain in the late 80s. ended up being the stealth bomber being tested by the americans

Lots of UFO reports in ireland and britain in the late 80s. ended up being the stealth bomber being tested by the americans

lol fair enough. I stand corrected! :) Must not have been very stealthy though if people were seeing it :D

lol fair enough. I stand corrected! :) Must not have been very stealthy though if people were seeing it :D

people were seeing black triangles in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rider66

Meteorite is the logical explanation.

I can't imagine advanced alien life has nothing better to though than troll aircraft off the coast of Kerry. Esp when they could be enslaving us instead.

Meteor is the probable explanation. The shape of a rock will affect its trajectory under certain conditions. Why choose a certain shape stone to skip it through water? The fluid dynamics of the interacting layers in our atmosphere, especially disturbed by aircraft, and over coastline... well, they're beyond me, but it is very complex.

I could easily accept this sighting to be caused by natural phenomena.

But I can't help but wonder...why assume that non-terrestrial life would be cruel, even if humanity is considerably less advanced. I also can't help but wonder why we assume that extraterrestrial visitors are interested in humanity. Just a thought.

Klingons on the starboard bow I would think.

You've started an earworm...!

• Advertisement

rider66 wrote: »
    Meteor is the probable explanation. The shape of a rock will affect its trajectory under certain conditions. Why choose a certain shape stone to skip it through water? The fluid dynamics of the interacting layers in our atmosphere, especially disturbed by aircraft, and over coastline... well, they're beyond me, but it is very complex.

I could easily accept this sighting to be caused by natural phenomena.

But I can't help but wonder...why assume that non-terrestrial life would be cruel, even if humanity is considerably less advanced. I also can't help but wonder why we assume that extraterrestrial visitors are interested in humanity. Just a thought.

they'd be more interested in the natural resources of the earth than humanity, if they were to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

they'd be more interested in the natural resources of the earth than humanity, if they were to appear

Unless we are one of their petri dishes :)

Peatys wrote: »
    Aliens probably drive by, lock their doors and speed away.

Earth, the ghetto of the galaxy.

Aww, we aren't ALL that bad. The ones in top governments, yes. Some might make great pets.

I'd really hope that humanity, and the plethora of life on this 'pale blue dot', offers enough hope to gain the interest of the curious, and kind sort of ET. But considering our history, humans have had a very troubled childhood! I'm not even sure we've made it to adolescence yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Someone caught the recent sighting up on the north coast (Coleraine, circa 4-500km away), on their dashcam just 3mins before it was seen by the pilots at the other end of the country.

Either they were moving very fast, shifted altitude (or both).

The one thing the little green/grey men seem interesed in is cows (mutilation and dna testing).
    Afterall with 4 stomachs and the ability to turn grass to milk, might be useful for a genesis project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

If it was naturally occurring why didn't the naturally occurring object appear on Radar? Also if it was going 2X mach speed. Why wasn't there a sonic boom?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Have to laugh at people, "the Russians"...it's like 1960 all over again. Propaganda alive and well in the 21st century it seems, someone forgot to change the record though :D

"The BA pilot, flying from Montreal to Heathrow, describes how the UFO came up along the left-hand side of the aircraft, “then rapidly veered to the north”." - Source

"“two bright lights that seemed to bank over to the right and climb away at speed at least from our perspective.” - Source

Hell of a meteor to change direction mid flight. Not saying it wasn't one, but some of the accounts don't quite tally up with what you'd expect from a meteor vector. These are trained, professional pilots...not two people coming out of a Bingo hall on a Saturday night looking up at the sky. My guess would be if not a meteor, then some kind of black budget classified stealth craft.

Military craft for me unmanned, just like the stealth crafts of the early 80's this is probably the next generation.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    If it was naturally occurring why didn't the naturally occurring object appear on Radar? Also if it was going 2X mach speed. Why wasn't there a sonic boom?

Genuine questions :

If it was small and fast enough is there the possibility it would not be picked up by radar?

Who says there wasn't a sonic boom further out to sea, ie unheard?

Could it have bounced off an air pocket like a stone being skimmed off a wave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Could it have bounced off an air pocket like a stone being skimmed off a wave?

I don't think anything travelling at Mach 2 is going to bounce off of an air pocket to be fair.

Advertisement