Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti bark electric shock dog collars

Options
  • 16-11-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily a vegetarian issue but I don't think it's too much of a generalisation to say that veggies love animals soooo.......what do you think of a product like this?
    I live with a bunch of girls who own a husky dog. They've recently got this for him and I really don't like it. The dog is a few months old and they have been more than lazy with training him properly. So far he has been kept in the house, was tried outside at night once or twice, never for a whole night though due to neighbours complaints. He really hasn't been given the chance to get used to being outside on his own. The idea of this thing is clearly to keep him quiet so the neighbours don't complain.
    'It doesn't hurt him' apparently, 'about as much of a shock as you'd get off a car door'.
    So do you think this is lazy training, are you more sensitive to an issue like this as a veggie?

Here are some reviews from amazon....
    I bought one of these for each of my four dogs who set each other off barking and its hard to stop them. The collie got the message straight away and now only needs to hear the sound and she stops unfortunately the 3 cocker spaniels don't respond well after the first shock one started yelping at the pain which meant she kept on getting shocked this started the other dogs off who were making her collar shock even more, really scary I thought she would have a heart attack.

Dangerous. Should not be sold. My dog got it at the first time but a little while later she was playing with a squeaky toy. It was set of but didn't stop. The buzzer bit kept on going and in the rush to get it off, while she was yelping like crazy, she bit my son and crushed his finger. It was a horrible sight, to see a dog in so much pain and this collar should not be allowed to be sold. This product is dangerous, cruel and inhumain. Do not buy this!!!!!!!!!!!! worst buy ever.
    These collars are only good if in the hands of a professional trainer and then only used in very extreme circumstances. I have seen first hand the pain and burn marks these collars can cause. They are now banned in Wales and should be everywhere. BEWARE!

Personally I HATE electric shocks, growing up on a farm *banjo music here* I got A LOT of them and they damn hurt and I've feared them since :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jesus ****ing christ. That is horrendous. Barking is the most natural thing for dogs to do. I dunno. Human beings are just *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Your housemates need to be left out the back, idiots.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I think it's fairly sickening to resort to that type of thing, all because they are too lazy to train the dog themselves :mad: I'm gonna agree 100% with Absurdum...they need a few nights out in the cold to teach them a lesson, while they learn to hammer that collar into a million pieces.

I wonder if they've ever been shocked before...

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

If they feel they need something like this then maybe they shouldn't have a dog...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Jim wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing christ. That is horrendous. Barking is the most natural thing for dogs to do. I dunno. Human beings are just *****.

Ye you can imagine how frustrating that must be for the dog. I could see him earlier trying to scratch at his throat and making gestures to bark but holding back, imagine having a tickle in your throat and not being able to cough it up.
    Absurdum wrote: »
    Your housemates need to be left out the back, idiots.

oh christ no, the rats might get them :P
    I think it's fairly sickening to resort to that type of thing, all because they are too lazy to train the dog themselves :mad: I'm gonna agree 100% with Absurdum...they need a few nights out in the cold to teach them a lesson, while they learn to hammer that collar into a million pieces.

I wonder if they've ever been shocked before...

He's not even an annoying dog, they just have him spoiled and don't know how to look after him properly. On one hand they're all worried about putting him out in the cold (even though he's a husky :pac:) yet they don't see any harm in shocking him into silence :confused:
    They keep feeling the need to say it doesn't hurt him that much, yet in the next breath one is saying how they hate those car shocks and the others don't hesitate to reiterate this. The mind boggles.
    Nature Boy wrote: »
    If they feel they need something like this then maybe they shouldn't have a dog...

I definitely don't think they should have a dog, there's no point in me even bringing up anything about this to them, I've heard enough of them oggling expensive dogs and criticizing 'ugly' dogs, waste of breath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm no expert on breeds but I'd imagine that huskies require a lot of excercise. If they can't look after the dog then he should be taken away to someone who will look after him or her!

Absurdum wrote: »
    I'm no expert on breeds but I'd imagine that huskies require a lot of excercise. If they can't look after the dog then he should be taken away to someone who will look after him or her!

I'm definitely not saying that they don't exercise him, they do love the dog, he's spoiled with toys etc, I just find their attitude towards animals a little strange. It's a bit bewildering to me to only like expensive dogs :confused: and then freak out over seeing a rat out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Dogs bark to express themselves. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the only reason they bark at all is due to their close relationship with humans. They don't bark at other dogs.

If the huskey is barking a lot it could be for any number of reasons. One reason is that he/she could have some sort of emtional or physical want or need that it is trying to communicate. Shocking it for trying to commicate this is just like shocking humans for screaming/yelling in response to pain. It's just something natural. "Oh it's fine, we spoil him, he has everything he could possibly want!" How do you know what the **** he wants. If you have a device to shock him into not barking then you have no idea. I love when people attribute human emotions and needs onto animals.

If they are only interested in the dog because it is "expensive" then they are the last people who should be looking after a dog. ****ing fashion accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

shocking:D, very harsh alrite, get them to buy the collars that let out a high pitched noise when they bark instead. can only be heard by dogs, you can buy em in connolys stores approx e30, got mine in the bagenalstown store, carlow. work well no shock to dog etc

Dogs bark to express themselves. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the only reason they bark at all is due to their close relationship with humans. They don't bark at other dogs.

If the huskey is barking a lot it could be for any number of reasons. One reason is that he/she could have some sort of emtional or physical want or need that it is trying to communicate. Shocking it for trying to commicate this is just like shocking humans for screaming/yelling in response to pain. It's just something natural. "Oh it's fine, we spoil him, he has everything he could possibly want!" How do you know what the **** he wants. If you have a device to shock him into not barking then you have no idea.

It's not that he's even barking a lot like some dogs, it's just that we've had the neighbours complain a few times about his barking, during the day I might add. Personally I would have told them where to go, it's only natural the dog is going to take some time to get used to being outside after being spoiled inside for so long. He often barks inside with us as his way of 'talking' to us, this is something they've encouraged if anything, I could tell he was trying to the other day and then got a bit distressed that he couldn't which isn't nice to see.
    I love when people attribute human emotions and needs onto animals.

I have to laugh at them worrying about him getting cold, huskies are supposed to be in the snow!
    If they are only interested in the dog because it is "expensive" then they are the last people who should be looking after a dog. ****ing fashion accessories.

I get pretty sick of them looking up other dogs they want to get and dismissing some because the price is too low, i.e. there must be something wrong with it.
    hadepsx wrote: »
    shocking:D, very harsh alrite, get them to buy the collars that let out a high pitched noise when they bark instead. can only be heard by dogs, you can buy em in connolys stores approx e30, got mine in the bagenalstown store, carlow. work well no shock to dog etc

:D
    Those sound good, I wonder would some dogs react in the opposite way that you'd want to the noise though but definitely a nicer option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement