Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2018 / 2019 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

Rather amusingly, GFS is going for more or less a repeat of the snow event last Sunday, for next Monday night. It wants a rapidly developing low pressure system to cross across the very south of the country and with almost the same trajectory as last Sundays event. More or less a carbon copy of last Sundays event except in this case, snow would be falling at night which would result in a rush hour disaster the next morning. Take this with a massive pinch of salt as it's unlikely to become reality. Having said that, it happened a few days ago!

anim_bqs1.gif

anim_kmz7.gif

anim_pom4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

99.9999% won't happen but imagine if this perturbation came off

2dGMA4o.png

Artane2002 wrote: »
    99.9999% won't happen but imagine if this perturbation came off

2dGMA4o.png

Is it just me who can't see it?

Surprisingly, the 12z GFS run continues the theme with a low pressure deepening extremely rapidly as it passes from SW to NE, just off the south coast. It's track is a bit further south in this latest run but that's probably not a bad thing as GFS tends to correct low systems further north as T -0 gets close, especially when it concerns such a rapidly developing system on the approach.

anim_cbe8.gif

850 hPa temps look good for Ireland:
    anim_geh3.gif

Low level winds look about as favourable as can be for most parts, especially considering the power of the rapidly developing storm. The wind pattern looks remarkably similar to what we had for the snow event last Sunday:

anim_uik6.gif

Temperatures look very similar to last Sunday too. Could be a rain/snow mix at times but potential for a decent bit of wet snow:
    anim_dxc4.gif

Forecast Precipitation, including the hatched areas where there is a risk of snow:
    anim_rpt6.gif

And finally, projected snow depths. Kinda pointless looking at any sort of detail with these this far out. In fact, don't take any of this particularly seriously. I just find it fascinating how remarkably similar the forecasted event looks to last Sunday.
    anim_swv3.gif

highdef wrote: »
    Is it just me who can't see it?

It's working for me. It's GEFS Perturbation 14, showing a very extreme wind event. I'll repost it to see if it will work now

Wbh1Auk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It's working for me. It's GEFS Perturbation 14, showing a very extreme wind event. I'll repost it to see if it will work now

It was working fine for me on my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ECM also chiming in, funnily enough I looked at its 14th member instead of GEFS by total accident, but it seems to be the strongest of all ECM. Coincidence or are GEFS/ECM related?

2b19f085f6783abe462ebc3ca21151ad.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

T120 + hrs ? ,

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I was just having a look at my windy app & it's showing multiple days of 90km gusts Sunday - Thursday, it seems from Saturday onwards the jet is in full force.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tonights GFS run shows no let up in the unsettled conditions right up to the end of FI.

The next week looks very windy and potentially stormy at times. UKMO in particular looks very windy on Tuesday with more of a direct hit for Ireland.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

UKMO +144hrs

U144-21UK_ohm1.GIF

ECMWF +144hrs

ECU1-144_kmc9.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Meant to be flying at 10am Tuesday. Could be fun!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

as is typical of this time of year the battle begins next week between winter finishing and spring starting. I'd say by Paddys day we'll see spring in charge weather wise. I wonder will we get an April Easterly this year?

Well I posted in the Spring discussion thread that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for those who would like some drier and warmer conditions.

There continues to be these signals starting next week with high pressure ascending from the south though timing and position will obviously be impossible to tell.

GFS 18z shows the high pressure just to the south of us at times but at other times over us with the jet stream being pushed northwards if maybe a bit close for comfort to delivering great sunshine to the north.

Chart for +210 hrs away showing high pressure centred around the Bay of Biscay drawing in milder west to southwesterly winds over Ireland and maybe a fair amount of cloud at first. These winds become more southeasterly a few days following it and the run has a lot of high pressure after this.

LbiZDKB.png

ECM 12z delayed the ascendance of the high to our shores but it gets there in the end with the prospect for good spells of sunshine and mild/warm temperatures.

CSRASvw.gif

CFSv2 continues to project high pressure dominating during the final week of March and into April.

It's all a long way off and this is the Fantasy Island thread after all so pure speculation. If these signs continue though, we should see the weather ushering in a drier and calmer spell towards the second half of this month. As the saying goes, March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is a Winter FI charts thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Noticed that myself and let out an internal yelp of delight while telling myself it'll probably be gone by this time tomorrow! :) Please be true, I need to get gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Its been a dreadful first half to the month here, hasn't stopped raining for more than a few hours since the start of the month, should be seeing a stretch in the evenings by now but street lights are still coming on around 5pm most evenings with the constant dark, wet conditions. Seriously craving some bright sunny weather now

More signs of the weather settling down by this time next week onwards from the ensembles of both the GFS and ECM.

ECM clusters show high pressure establishing over us is currently the most favoured option (cluster #1) with cluster #3 also similar but maybe much more of a chance of sunny spells with #3 as #1 looks cloudy in nature. Cluster #2 is more unsettled but not a total washout and similar to M.T.'s forecast. Cluster #3 looks like one that would produce unusually warm temperatures if it were to verify but that's the least likely option out of the 3 right now.

GlCiDMA.png

GEFS looks like a cloudier scenario with the jet stream fairly close by but conditions generally on the dry side with high pressure laying just to the south of us.

NLavnY4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

sryanbruen wrote: »
    More signs of the weather settling down by this time next week onwards from the ensembles of both the GFS and ECM.

ECM clusters show high pressure establishing over us is currently the most favoured option (cluster #1) with cluster #3 also similar but maybe much more of a chance of sunny spells with #3 as #1 looks cloudy in nature. Cluster #2 is more unsettled but not a total washout and similar to M.T.'s forecast. Cluster #3 looks like one that would produce unusually warm temperatures if it were to verify but that's the least likely option out of the 3 right now.

GlCiDMA.png

GEFS looks like a cloudier scenario with the jet stream fairly close by but conditions generally on the dry side with high pressure laying just to the south of us.

NLavnY4.png

Some week I picked for the South of Spain. If this comes off then it'll probably be a wash out down there

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

While it’s lovely to get nice weather in March...If I had to choose between a high pressure in March or one in June/July, it’d pick the summer every time. I don’t think a settled spell in late March bodes well for the summer going on previous years...but I am open to being corrected on that 🀔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't mind unsettled muck between now and mid May. Let the cold and snow wait till next December and let the settled high pressures and southerly winds/plumes wait for the Summer.

Carol25 wrote: »
    While it’s lovely to get nice weather in March...If I had to choose between a high pressure in March or one in June/July, it’d pick the summer every time. I don’t think a settled spell in late March bodes well for the summer going on previous years...but I am open to being corrected on that ��

It does not bode well if it's a significant high that either lasts for a prolonged period of time or produces some unusual warmth most years (March 1990 is one exception that comes to mind).

Keep in mind, clusters #1 and especially #2 could have a lot of cloud producing drizzle as the air mass looks mild and moist, despite #1 looking high pressure dominated initially. Cluster #3 is the kind of scenario that would deliver that I described above.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't mind unsettled muck between now and mid May. Let the cold and snow wait till next December and let the settled high pressures and southerly winds/plumes wait for the Summer.

I don't want to derail the thread but I wouldn't mind more of this weather until mid or late April. It's the most interesting weather we've had since November in my opinion. If we can get more northwesterlies then great.

To make this sort of on topic since we're talking about summer a bit, at the moment I think it's going to be front loaded, we are seriously overdue a notably good August though... we have had some slightly better than average ones but nothing that stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »

If only the weather Gods agreed with you. I knew we would pay for the unusual warmth in February come March.
    Personally i hope we get a summer, which has frequent visitors from the Bay of Biscay. We have not had decent thunderstorms from this area in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Carol25 wrote: »
    While it’s lovely to get nice weather in March...If I had to choose between a high pressure in March or one in June/July, it’d pick the summer every time. I don’t think a settled spell in late March bodes well for the summer going on previous years...but I am open to being corrected on that ��
    Agree, good summers seem to be extremely rare after warm springs. Hopefully April will be cool and unsettled.
    High pressure in March is like northern blocking in November - you hope its a sign of things to come for winter but deep down you know its coming too early and is just a complete waste! :(

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/archives/2018112000/ECM1-0.GIF?00

looks like we should get a bit of a respite from all the rain soon enough, with slightly less unsettled conditions after this weekend.

Latest ensembles shows Dublin area getting much less rain from Monday onwards with high pressure becoming more of an influence, along with milder temperatures. We could do with a change as this has been mostly a wet, cold and miserable month so far.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-03-14&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

Mod Note: Have closed this thread for now and opened a FI Spring discussion thread.

Thanks

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057967029

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement