Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to read Chinese - any structure?

• 07-04-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all

I was just wondering whether there is any structure that should determine the order to learn "han zi" . Should I just google the most common words and start to learn them? or are there building blocks that once I understand them, I can use to learn others?

I just fear the only way to learn to read or right is to try and learn the 600 or so symbols that make up about 80 or 90% of the language.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

Despite not speaking a word of Chinese, the only way to learn is to look at the symbols and revise them. Get an app like Anki or Memrise that will help you to remember the words and their shapes. Also with some symbols you can try to think of something that the symbol looks like. Like a symbol may look like a stick-man or something.

Advertisement