Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

H_Lime wrote: »
    Lol she's in like flynn my mate as well ya know!!
    Anyone doing spark erosion about you? No experience of it myself.
    Time to get out the centre punch and bless yourself!! You'll make a necklace pendant out of the bastard once you free it Galway!:D

Lolz.

Well unannounced visitors meant I only got an hour in the garage at the weekend, and at least there's progress. I killed one brand new bit, and even after resharpening it wasn't going anywhere. Never a shop selling Cobalt bits on a Sunday when you went them :p

this could take a while.....
    1. Aforementioned (now burnt out crater) of a hole....
    2. 10mm dia drill guide, over the hole
    3. 4mm dia drill bush which (just about...) sits in the hole, so centring the bit....
    4. ...sharp intake of breath, cutting fluid everywhere...and get cracking...
    5. new hole, fairly well centred.... but got about 12mm down before the bit cried halt...
    6. ...Tune in Next Week when I get back to the F-er..... :mad
    :

494540.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yer laughin Galway, if you can stay central it's game ball. Nice set up there.
    The hole is blind yeah?

Yer laughin Galway, if you can stay central it's game ball. Nice set up there.
    The hole is blind yeah?

yeah, blind. And tight to the case as as well so the chuck is virtually up against it....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

So I bought a new "cover" for my top box and fitted it today, original was very tired looking, scratches, chips etc. Again I have to commend givi, you can swap the lid and change the colour of your top box lid on the V46 for 20 bucks, who knew.

494584.jpg

494585.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

zubair wrote: »
    So I bought a new "cover" for my top box and fitted it today, original was very tired looking, scratches, chips etc. Again I have to commend givi, you can swap the lid and change the colour of your top box lid on the V46 for 20 bucks, who knew.

494584.jpg

494585.jpg

Nice lights on the top box

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    yeah, blind. And tight to the case as as well so the chuck is virtually up against it....
    ......So.....:eek:?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Nice lights on the top box

Any links to where you get them

emo72 wrote: »

There was a lad on here before had them on his V-Strom, bought them here if i remember correctly, Deckard Shaw was the username

https://admorelighting.com/

Persuaded the seized in bearing remnants to go to linkage heaven.
      20191103-191827.jpg

20191109-154102.jpg
      Off on their merry way to the coaters

20191111-213031.jpg
      Bits! Gel insert on the way too.

DIY, it cost me around 20 euro. Led strips and a brake light flasher (optional) from amazon. Wiring and connectors from halfords. Duck tape to tidy it all up.

It took about 1 hour to install, my mate and fellow boardie who's good with electrics gave me a dig out, I could have done it myself but would have taken longer. We also set it up so I can add more led strips later.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

zubair wrote: »
      DIY, it cost me around 20 euro. Led strips and a brake light flasher (optional) from amazon. Wiring and connectors from halfords. Duck tape to tidy it all up.

It took about 1 hour to install, my mate and fellow boardie who's good with electrics gave me a dig out, I could have done it myself but would have taken longer. We also set it up so I can add more led strips later.

Was actually thinking of the givi replacement lid itself.

Was actually thinking of the givi replacement lid itself.

Ah, sorry.

https://www.motoabbigliamento.it/en/

20191116-171644.jpg
      Eight bearings seven bush's, chain buffer, powder all in just under 250 squid:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

20191116-171644.jpg
      Eight bearings seven bush's, chain buffer, powder all in just under 250 squid:)

Lookin well, haven't been following, have you done anything with the rest of it and what is it?

EDIT: Fully floater - is that Suzuki?

......So.....:eek:?

Not going well. Might have to Go Nuclear with it.

Brand new bits, incl Carbide, got me about 10mm down....and we're just creating heat atmo. Another 10mm needed.

So, Plan A (revised for now), is fix the other MF engine on the bench and come back to it when I get time. On principle alone I won't give up yet.

So, for now I'm at this instead :

495554.png

Ode To The Motorist

Brand new bits, incl Carbide, got me about 10mm down....and we're just creating heat atmo. Another 10mm needed.

So, Plan A (revised for now), is fix the other MF engine on the bench and come back to it when I get time. On principle alone I won't give up yet.

495554.png

Single cylinder maxi scoot of some kind Galway!? What's needing doing?

Bastard stainless fastener eh! No doubt you'll drill grind or erode it to hell and back;)

495554.png

Are you fitting one of those scooter engine upgrade kits? (Genuine Question)

Single cylinder maxi scoot of some kind Galway!? What's needing doing?

Bastard stainless fastener eh! No doubt you'll drill grind or erode it to hell and back;)

Yeah, Aprilia Atlantic 500 engine. Oil pump went awol - plastic gear dissolved in petrol-contaminated oil in the sump. Which is a fault on these because the 'stat is set too high and it runs rich/cold mix most of the time and you get borewash which causes sump level to rise.....and the numpty who designed it made the oil pump gear out of.........one step away from cardboard tbh. Junk.

Oh, and, you can't buy shell bearings for it, just new crankcases.....which, if you want a giggle, are on Line 1 here: https://www.ultimateparts.net/aprilia/c.php?n=Crankcase-Aprilia-Atlantic-400-500-Sprint-2005,-2006-Aprilia-Parts-UK,-Worldwide-for-Aprilia-Scooters-and-Aprila-Motorcycle-1992-to-2013&i=22017

Are you fitting one of those scooter engine upgrade kits? (Genuine Question)
      The only way to upgrade this is with a 5" cutting disc....and do this:

495561.png

Then, go buy a T Max.

Seriously.

Ode To The Motorist

Yeah, Aprilia Atlantic 500 engine. Oil pump went awol - plastic gear dissolved in petrol-contaminated oil in the sump. Which is a fault on these because the 'stat is set too high and it runs rich/cold mix most of the time and you get borewash which causes sump level to rise.....and the numpty who designed it made the oil pump gear out of.........one step away from cardboard tbh. Junk.

Oh, and, you can't buy shell bearings for it, just new crankcases.....which, if you want a giggle, are on Line 1 here: https://www.ultimateparts.net/aprilia/c.php?n=Crankcase-Aprilia-Atlantic-400-500-Sprint-2005,-2006-Aprilia-Parts-UK,-Worldwide-for-Aprilia-Scooters-and-Aprila-Motorcycle-1992-to-2013&i=22017

495561.png

Then, go buy a T Max.

Seriously.

Jasus :eek:

newmember? wrote: »
      Lookin well, haven't been following, have you done anything with the rest of it and what is it?

EDIT: Fully floater - is that Suzuki?

Hey, yep it's an 89 dr750 big. Swiss import I bought a couple months back. Giving her a once over.
      So far I've done as per the pic, mated an oem busa exhaust on her ( good mod), wheels bearings, caliper n master rebuild yada yada working my way forwards:)

Tonight's messing made this
      20191117-135419.jpg

Into this
      IMG-20191118-222659.jpg
      Part was on backorder and like 80 some gbp. Feck that!
      Any works in the mix yourself new member?

• Advertisement

495561.png

Then, go buy a T Max.

Seriously.

Mmm is that cut one a donor or did you throw the aprilia out of the pram lol!
      I always question the presence of any plastic reciprocating parts inside the oily bits:(.
      Crazy they run that enriched they wash the oil. If it's any consolation I had a similar thing happen when a couple decades of bst33's doing the leaking needle valve weewe washed the oil and helped wreck the mains
      DSC-1856.jpg
      Overflow equipped floats pleaseeee! :)

Rear calipers a crudfest lol.

20191117-122855.jpg
      Peakaboo dust seal!:)

20191117-124111.jpg
      A shot of air had the pistons out easily thankfully.

20191117-124709.jpg
      Lovely!

20191117-161106.jpg
      Strip it bare ass

20191117-140406.jpg
      And give her a fizz bath.

IMG-20191119-200206.jpg

IMG-20191119-211335.jpg
      Not the best design of a caliper, need everything working a1 to perform but that should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hmm they weren't very generous with the red rubber grease there :)

Life ain't always empty.

You got that right:lol:
      Seems to me certain calipers tend to muck up seal seats with oxidation quicker than others.
      I have wondered if it some were clear anodised or perhaps some are made of an alloy grade less likely to oxidise?
      Either way these were as as bad as chewbaccas arse after a night on the Guinness. If I could fit a two piston opposed type in there I would.

20191117-140406.jpg
      And give her a fizz bath.

ooh, ultrasonic bath - noice !

Tell us about the one you have and what fluid you put in it. I bought a mickey mouse one a while ago and it's useless. Has yours a heating function ? And ever since they banned Freon it's even more useless!

What paint do you put on the calipers btw ? - I have a set of 3 Suzuki ones to do in a while as well.

Ode To The Motorist

..and that grease is harder to buy in qty than you think: nobody will post it.

I got a big tube of it a few years ago for a car I was working on, from a company in Cork.

I have enough now to see out the entire Internal Combustion Age methinks :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Huh?
      Its simple to get.
      https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331841244015

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I got a big tube of it a few years ago for a car I was working on, from a company in Cork.

I have enough now to see out the entire Internal Combustion Age methinks :pac:

Or from sandyford

https://www.eurocarparts.com/en_ie/p/triple-qx-red-rubber-grease-500g-526770270?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiNnuBRD3ARIsAM8Kmlta26ah_skIeNRekKXrlrW1ndo5HK68X0e-VwQNSiNvS8QA2yfzKPsaAs-fEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About a year or so ago I got a 500g tub of it in Southside Motor Factors fairly cheap. I've used about 5g so far :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

About a year or so ago I got a 500g tub of it in Southside Motor Factors fairly cheap. I've used about 5g so far :pac:

Why so?
      The grease I linked is a great all round grease and does most jobs on a bike.

Advertisement