Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ToolSuppliers

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lidl/Aldi are fine for budget priced tools, and as such are not meant to match the
    fine tolerences required in a square.

If you want a good accurate square, then buy a proper branded tool known
    for producing accurate tools.

Otherwise you end up with a paperweight. Dont expect budget priced tools to perform the same
    as brands known for their build quality.

As Calahonda pointed out, your accuracy requirements depend on how fine your work needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jack of all

I know someone that had a couple of those squares from Lidl/ Aldi- they were fine when tested against a known square, but wouldn't be the first choice for super accurate work. Personally I wouldn't buy a budget square, I'd rather spend a decent amount on something that will last a lifetime (and more) if not abused. A decent alloy roofing square is not expensive is great for rough carpentry and will stand up to some abuse. I have a 20 year old Rabone Chesterman combination square that's my go to square for general work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Whats the application?
    road works, first fix, second fix, fine joinery, marquetry?

Joinery..... I'd hesitate to use the word fine for a few years yet.

Apologies I haven't been logged in here for a bit.
    Thanks for the advice all. I gave them a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Ye didn't miss much. I got them just cause they were there. No intention of using them to square stuff up. They may very well be square. But the ruler part on all of them are extremely flimsy. I only use them as a straight edge when cutting stuff with a utility knife. Pretty handy on curved surfaces as you can bend it pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 EskimoErased

Hi folks, I'm struggling to find a supplier for a benchtop planer. I've already got a standalone Triton thicknesser, so not looking for a combo, but that's all I can seem to find available. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The Triton model seems like it would be ideal, but it's out of stock everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Hi folks, I'm struggling to find a supplier for a benchtop planer. I've already got a standalone Triton thicknesser, so not looking for a combo, but that's all I can seem to find available. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The Triton model seems like it would be ideal, but it's out of stock everywhere.

Try giving Jacksons a call; they're Triton dealers and can also give you an honest date for when something can be had in when there's difficulty getting stock like at the moment: https://www.jjacksontools.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 46 EskimoErased

Try giving Jacksons a call; they're Triton dealers and can also give you an honest date for when something can be had in when there's difficulty getting stock like at the moment: https://www.jjacksontools.com/index.php

Yeah, they're a good shout - I've sent them an email to ask about stock. I actually got my thicknesser from them back along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I decided to invest in some cordless tools online before this VAT thing starts to be applied from July 1st. So from faraway land I bought three knockoff Mak-youknowho tools: an angle grinder, a reciprocating saw, and an oscillating saw.
    They all arrived within 3 weeks and they look good.
    But the set of 18v batteries and the charger, it looks like there is a delivery problem, I think a lot of couriers will not carry them.
    So I might have to buy batteries and charger locally, which will cost me a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

deandean wrote: »
    I decided to invest in some cordless tools online before this VAT thing starts to be applied from July 1st. So from faraway land I bought three knockoff Mak-youknowho tools: an angle grinder, a reciprocating saw, and an oscillating saw.
    They all arrived within 3 weeks and they look good.
    But the set of 18v batteries and the charger, it looks like there is a delivery problem, I think a lot of couriers will not carry them.
    So I might have to buy batteries and charger locally, which will cost me a few quid.
    Battery transport is an issue, I have an elec bike and cant bring it on a plane, neither can I send the battery ahed of me by courier

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife used to work for an air cargo company, batteries always were a pain (and rather randomly, lipstick is too, it's considered a hazardous material for air transport for reasons i forget)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

So I followed up on the order of batteries and a charger from China.
    It's a very disingenuous situation. I got the detail of what happened to my order through the tracking system.
    Wish \ Aliexpress etc will accept your order for Li ion batteries, and take your money.
    The shipping company receives the package. They x-ray it and recognise it as batteries. They return the package to the seller. This happened for me last April.
    Instead of cancelling the order and issuing a refund, they give a very extended delivery date, which for me is in July.
    Only when that delivery date is missed can I apply for a refund. So they are holding onto my money for 4 months. And hopefully I can go through all the process and actually get a refund!
    So the message is, don't bother even trying to order rechargeable tool batteries from faraway land despite them being advertised.
    I picked up a charger from Amazon.co.uk, and batteries from handyhardware.ie. they are more expensive but they are genuine Makita parts.
    Whatever about the tools, I would always have a worry about using a knock-off charger & batteries. I wouldn't want a battery going on fire in the back of my van!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There are carriers that will take batteries.

I was shipping something last year, and an post or DHL wouldn't accept batteries.

I ended up using a parcel company that was about half the price, and they shipped via DHL anyway. They just gave me labels to print and attach that stated the contents were batteries.

https://www.parceldirect.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Can anyone advise, I'm looking for a new pressure regulator with moisture trap for the workshop something like this.

The ones on screwfix have all got terrible reviews so not going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

Is there any Veritas or Lie Nielsen Plane suppliers in Ireland?

I see the Carpentry Store has some listed, but are out of stock for the last number of months,

I have some Quangsheng planes from workshop heaven but with the import taxes seems like a waste of money if I can get Veritas or Lie Nielsen localy

Advertisement