Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Laptop brand 2019

• 31-10-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

My 17" Samsung laptop died. Shoping around for a new one. I would never ever go via the Samsung route again. Also have bad experience with Acer.

Min Requirements:

1. Intel Hexa Core or Octa Core Processor
    2. Nvidia GTX / RTX with min 6 Gb memory
    3. SSD storage
    4. Min 16 Gb RAM

1. May I know which brand of laptop is the best considering reliability, build quality, performance etc?

2. Can anyone please suggest the cheapest online stores (EU based) for laptops?

3. Any AMD laptops that meet the above specs?

Thanks...

Best Laptop Brand 2019 22 votes

HP
    0%
    Lenovo
    18%
    gandalfLemlincoolbeansFor Forks Sake 4 votes
    MSI
    22%
    run_Forrest_runbridesttphaseBallyv24Oonagh123 5 votes
    ASUS
    4%
    eoinzy2000 1 vote
    DELL
    22%
    machiavellianmeTestLinkshockwaveIrishcrxMoMo2020 5 votes
    Microsoft
    31%
    robosnowstreams[Deleted User]NolarsAndrewJRenkoEmmersonnShane119 7 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Depends on the price range and if you still want to go 17" range. The higher tier Acer laptops are actually good now. Dell has slightly fallen by the wayside, while Asus, MSI, Lenovo, HP have really upped their game in terms of build quality and thermal control. Asus have a good cooling solution that opens the back up when unfolding the screen as well as absorbing heat from the keyboard area, whilst Lenovo and HP have rear exhausts that open up a lot of breathing space for inners. MSI Tends to have better internal cooling pipe solutions to keep the package small and tightly packed. Most of them come with Intel hexacore CPUs on high range with GTX 1660ti and upwards (all of which start at 6gb VRAM).

Mid tier laptops are now really competitive, with high specs, great screens etc.

So really it all depends on budget. Most AMD processors tend to low-mid tier gaming laptops, and there is no hecta/octacore AMD CPU yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭TestLink

DELL
    TestLink wrote: »

Thanks...

Cheapest online stores (EU based) for laptops?

I have tried box.co.uk, laptopsdirect.co.uk, komplett.ie, currys.ie etc.

Any other websites with good deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

DELL
    I've just finished a laptop hunt for a similar machine as yourself and fond Box had the best prices and I searched a lot.

I went with an Acer Predator Triton 500 I7 9750 , GTX 2060 6 GB , 16 GB early days as I only have it a week but pretty impressed so far build quality seems excellent...

Changed from Asus , nothing wrong with Asus I liked it but it was an older N55 model but solid as a rock for the last 5 years.

DELL
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    I've just finished a laptop hunt for a similar machine as yourself and fond Box had the best prices and I searched a lot.

I went with an Acer Predator Triton 500 I7 9750 , GTX 2060 6 GB , 16 GB early days as I only have it a week but pretty impressed so far build quality seems excellent...

Changed from Asus , nothing wrong with Asus I liked it but it was an older N55 model but solid as a rock for the last 5 years.

Is the casing metal or plastic? I prefer metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

DELL
    Is the casing metal or plastic? I prefer metal.

Fully aluminum ...build quality is excellent I have to say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 MoMo2020

DELL
    My 17" Samsung laptop died. Shoping around for a new one. I would never ever go via the Samsung route again. Also have bad experience with Acer.

Min Requirements:

1. Intel Hexa Core or Octa Core Processor
    2. Nvidia GTX / RTX with min 6 Gb memory
    3. SSD storage
    4. Min 16 Gb RAM

1. May I know which brand of laptop is the best considering reliability, build quality, performance etc?

3. Any AMD laptops that meet the above specs?

Thanks...

I'll just let you know my experience with my own laptops and might be of help in your decision.

Had a 2011 Lenovo ideapad Y560: a good performing laptop for gaming and media usage yet the hinge broke after a few months so not a great build quality.

Bought a 2013 Asus N56, the screen, sound quality and build quality where superb compared to its price. overall had a great experience with the Asus brands.

Have a 2019 Dell XPS 15, nice build quality, odd loud fan noise here and there but I think thats due to its sleek form factor. A good quality laptop but saw my friends having issue with Dells after sale service.

all in all out of the three brands I use I'd recon Asus was the best bang for your buck experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dell outlet store or find a good refurb. Don't buy a new one. Waste of money.

DELL
    Dell doesnt have the quality they had few years back.

How good is MSI compared to ASUS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MSI
    The Nal wrote: »
    Dell outlet store or find a good refurb. Don't buy a new one. Waste of money.

+1 I purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad about 3 years ago and even then it wasn't exactly cutting edge but it has never skipped a beat. Excellent build quality. Not the biggest or sharpest of screens but for 250 it has been very good value for money.
    I can't justify the money on a new ThinkPad but I'd certainly consider another second-hand model when the time comes.

DELL
    Is it worth to wait till Christmas for good deals?

Any online stores other than box.co.uk, Komplett.ie, Currys.ie to watch for good deals?

Also what about Amazon?

• Advertisement
Advertisement