Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Elmo wrote: »
    BAI are really talking about a pay TV service not a free service, BAI have failed to even consider the addition of new channels on saorview and when that happens it’s usually from Free To Air providers themselves.

So can companies like Sky/Discovery not launch FTA channels on Saorview if they wanted to like they have done in the UK with Sky's Pick and Discovery with Quest/Quest Red respectively?
    The Saorview platform is very basic and very poor. A few channel additions would add a bit more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would be good if they would put TV3+1 on saorview just to have a small bit more choice on what to watch.
    Did rte not let them originally

TV3 decided not to put it on there. That decision has nothing to do with RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zeebre12 wrote: »
    So can companies like Sky/Discovery not launch FTA channels on Saorview if they wanted to like they have done in the UK with Sky's Pick and Discovery with Quest/Quest Red respectively?
    The Saorview platform is very basic and very poor. A few channel additions would add a bit more variety.

So this is how it would go,

Sky or UKTV announce they want to go on saorview with Pick or Dave. Neither technically need a BAI license for this, but out of courtesy they apply and get one, TV3/Virgin Media kick up a fuss that they have no PS consent is required to make them comply (though I don’t think this is necessary) the minister gives consent regardless. And said channel appears on Saorview. UTV Ireland case in point.

Or small company decides to get a license and to drum up support applies for no reason to be considered a public service, minister agrees but said smaller company says saorview is too expensive and refuses to go on the service it later closes due to lack of audience. E.g Irish TV

Now Virgin Media could put up 3 +1s on saorview but are currently too busy complaining that RTÉ want to replace RTÉ News Now and RTE ONE +1 with RTÉ ONE +1 and RTE2 +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Conor McNamara presenting the Champions League coverage tonight on be3. Even though he commentated for TV3 in the early years, and presented Sports Tonight, and more recently was commentator for their Rugby World Cup coverage, I cannot remember him presenting a live game.

I guess with all the impending football coming to Virgin Media Sports, looks like they'll have Conor backing up Tommy Martin. On another note, Trevor Welsh was commentating the match last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

dulpit wrote: »

I've just seen it, a great idea mind you and let's not stop there. On the Sky Ireland EPG Sky1 should swap around with Be3 (116), by putting the rebranded VM3 on 106 will be keeping all VM channels together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If you think the idea that VM would relegate TV3 by one is mad, the idea that Sky would voluntarily relegate their flagship channel by ten spots on their own EPG, to the aid of their biggest competitor, is bonkers.

Did I imagine TV3 having that big new season launch a few weeks back? Never mind, they had another one today.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/AMP/article/news/274482/Virgin-Media-Television-announces-NEW-season-schedule

Confirmation that “Virgin Media News” is the new news brand in their somewhere, not much else new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭political analyst

icdg wrote: »
    Did I imagine TV3 having that big new season launch a few weeks back? Never mind, they had another one today.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/AMP/article/news/274482/Virgin-Media-Television-announces-NEW-season-schedule

Confirmation that “Virgin Media News” is the new news brand in their somewhere, not much else new.

From that article:

In current affairs, ‘The Tonight Show’ returns for a second series, as Matt Cooper and Ivan Yates deconstruct the news, offering insight and their own different perspectives on the stories Ireland is talking about.

Clearly, TV3/VMI is being economical with the truth - considering that the programme that used to be on in the Monday-Thursday 11 PM slot was called "Tonight with Vincent Browne" (or just "Tonight" on his nights off!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Still no Tipping Point back in the 2pm slot. Was nice at Dinner time.

Would be good if they would put TV3+1 on saorview just to have a small bit more choice on what to watch.
    Did rte not let them originally

You joking right, we don't want another fuzzy trashy looking picture taking up valuable space, its TV3 HD is what we were looking for but that's gone out the window now, they can shove their +1s elsewhere.

• Advertisement

To me Virgin Media have taken a step backwards.

They are back to bigging up the 10 hours of in-studio programs, as they seem to have little else. This is largely because of the mass of sport they have bought.

Bizzarly the 8pm news is a launch not a re-lauch.

I am guessing if Blood airs this October, Red Rock starts in January.

iseegirls can tell me if I have heard the following from last year "Inside James’s’ , ‘The Town’, ‘Revolting Ireland’, and 'Hutch v Kinahan: Ireland’s Deadliest Feud’. While am I right to say that The Restaurant and Doctor In The House were postponed from earlier this year? While, David McWilliams was supposed to finally get back on TV3 with a doc like ‘Back to the Future’, but saw him return with Agenda.

For PK's sake lets hope there is a Presidential Election as he is floundering to find an audience on TV3 ‘Pat Kenny’s Big Debate’.

Also is Xpose moving to VM TWO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭political analyst

To me Virgin Media have taken a step backwards.

They are back to bigging up the 10 hours of in-studio programs, as they seem to have little else. This is largely because of the mass of sport they have bought.

Bizzarly the 8pm news is a launch not a re-lauch.

I am guessing if Blood airs this October, Red Rock starts in January.

iseegirls can tell me if I have heard the following from last year "Inside James’s’ , ‘The Town’, ‘Revolting Ireland’, and 'Hutch v Kinahan: Ireland’s Deadliest Feud’. While am I right to say that The Restaurant and Doctor In The House were postponed from earlier this year? While, David McWilliams was supposed to finally get back on TV3 with a doc like ‘Back to the Future’, but saw him return with Agenda.

For PK's sake lets hope there is a Presidential Election as he is floundering to find an audience on TV3 ‘Pat Kenny’s Big Debate’.

Also is Xpose moving to VM TWO?

They're making Red Rock fans wait even longer than I thought?! Ah, now, that's just cruel!

They're making Red Rock fans wait even longer than I thought?! Ah, now, that's just cruel!

I don’t know don’t quote me on it :)

But it’s likely Blood will air on a Monday night, if starting in October it’s unlikely that Red Rock will arrive anytime sooner than 2019.

Red Rock would have to start on Monday Sept 3 with 16 eps between it and Blood you get to Dec 17 or so.

Also no sign of Visage & van Outen

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

On 3 news at 7 they had a report about the launch and a video advertising their new 8pm news.
    Is that published somwhere or did tv3 make it for themselves

On 3 news at 7 they had a report about the launch and a video advertising their new 8pm news.
    Is that published somwhere or did tv3 make it for themselves

It will be on there player, would have been a News report.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It will be on there player, would have been a News report.

Oh yeah is a new app needed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Well, they need to ditch the old app - it's junk. I had the misfortune of trying it the other day. It went like this...

Playing ad 1 of 2.
    Playing ad 2 of 2.
    Playing ad 1 of 2.
    Playing ad 2 of 2.
    Spin... spin... spin...

Content never started. Lovely.

Sounds like my experiences with RTE Player. I avoid the RTE/TV3/TG4 player apps like the plague unless I need to use them - Sky’s app has both live streams and (an admittedly more limited) selection of on demand content.

And I don’t have to sit through ads before I can watch live content. That’s my biggest bug bearer of all. I don’t have to sit through ads when I turn on my TV, why should I have to do it when I stream a live tv channel on my phone. Goals have been missed because of it! Thankfully it’s not an issue with the Sky Q app. Yes, I know, it’s not free like the RTE/TV3 Player apps, and that’s a fair enough point to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Is it likley that there will be a new news intro once the rebrand happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Is it likley that there will be a new news intro once the rebrand happens

They showed a brief segment of it on yesterday’s news. Into and set was pretty much the same except in red.

How the hell do Virgin keep 3 channels going with all this old repeated crap filler programming. There was an episode of The Cube on this evening and this kid was asked what he wanted to get if his mum won aload of dosh. His answer: a PS3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Instead of €20 a month why dont Virgin charge for a season pass instead?

There are no Champions League or Europa League matches over Christmas or in January.

They had a right to turn Be3 into Virgin Media Sports. I can't see how they'll keep 4 channels going, all these repeats across the channels is driving me bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

mikeym wrote: »
    Instead of €20 a month why dont Virgin charge for a season pass instead?

There are no Champions League or Europa League matches over Christmas or in January.

Or better again why don’t they launch Be3/VM3 in HD across all platorms and make it VM Sport, let the main channel have full FTA reach for their main games and then have a pay app and the Virgin platform there to distribute multi game nights with all games.

This would keep a massive terrestrial audience for advertisers and also draw people to the VM platform and the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

The picture quality of Be3 on Sky is disgraceful. Although in fairness it’s probably good enough for the quality of the crap they show. Virgin Media should be ashamed to put their name to such low quality picture quality.

medoc wrote: »
    The picture quality of Be3 on Sky is disgraceful. Although in fairness it’s probably good enough for the quality of the crap they show. Virgin Media should be ashamed to put their name to such low quality picture quality.

TV3s group of channels on Saorview is disgraceful as well, very poor picture quality and I don't see it changing either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No sign of the 2nd leg of the Champions League play off matches on TV3, 3e or be3 this week. No mention on their twitter either. Very odd if they won't show anything this week, yet showed 2 matches last week.

For the Nations League, VM3 dedicating a lot of their days to it. All but one game is TBA.
    Thu 6th Sep:
    7:30 TBA - prob Germany v France
    10:00 Highlights
    11:00 Delayed coverage of Wales v Rep Of Ireland

Fri:
    7:30 Italy v Poland

Sat: 1:30 TBA - Northern Ireland v Bosnia
    4:45 TBA - Switzerland v Iceland
    7:15 TBA - England v Spain

Sun: 1:30 TBA - Ukraine v Slovakia
    4:45 TBA - Denmark v Wales
    7:15 TBA - France v Netherlands

Hmm, the matches were certainly originally in the schedule. In fact the TV3 Sport Twitter is still using a Be3 graphic with Dynamo Zagreb v Young Boys for Tuesday and PAOK v Benfica as their Twitter banner. I thought that as a UEFA Champions League broadcaster they’d be contractually obliged to cover it but no so much as a highlights show. So BT giving the only Irish coverage of Wednesday night.

Presumably all the Nations League on VM3 is just because VM Sport hasn’t launched yet.

Talking of which:
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/about-us/press/2018/niall-quinn-joins-graeme-souness-and-kevin-kilbane-at-the-new-home-of-european-football/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I saw an ad for those games on TV3 today.

As for Niall Quinn, I thought he was awful when he was with Sky.

Advertisement