Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with ages in 1901/1911 census

• 04-09-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm researching my family tree at the moment and use I the 1901 and 1911 censuses quite a lot. However I've noticed with a lot of my relatives that the ages between the 1901 and 1911 censuses don't nesscerily increase by 10 years, for example I have a great great grandmother marked as 52 in the 1901 census but in the 1911 census she is marked as being 59........surely she should be 62 in 1911. I'm really confused about this since I don't know what age to believe in order to get their birth year...........anyone else effected by this and what should I do????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I think we're all affected by this! I tend to take an average & then search a few years to get the birth; in the example you give I'd search between 1849 and 1852- and often a little outside this, if I still cant find them, just in case neither age exactly correct. I find that children's ages are more accurate between the censuses/ censes; once they got older maybe it wasn't as important? e.g. alot of my people are farmers who couldn't always read/write, I imagine they estimated this kind of thing.
    Searching for four years might sound a bit annoying, but I have occasionally turned up siblings, so thats a nice bonus!

Wishing you well :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yep, Rhapsody is right. Knowing your exact age was just not essential then and people guessed or approximated. I think I have only one ancestor whose ages tally exactly between the two censuses!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Irishlad11 wrote: »
    I'm researching my family tree at the moment and use I the 1901 and 1911 censuses quite a lot. However I've noticed with a lot of my relatives that the ages between the 1901 and 1911 censuses don't nesscerily increase by 10 years, for example I have a great great grandmother marked as 52 in the 1901 census but in the 1911 census she is marked as being 59........surely she should be 62 in 1911. I'm really confused about this since I don't know what age to believe in order to get their birth year...........anyone else effected by this and what should I do????

I read somewhere that people also aged themselves so they could claim the old age pension which was first paid in 1909;)

if your looking for birthcerts i found the best way is to search for 2 years before the year you think the person was born in and for 2 years afterwards, ive found people born 2 years before they " should" have been

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It was 1908 actually. I've seen someone age 13 years in the census! While it did happen, remarkably few people actually qualified for the pension, and one of the reasons they set it at 70 was that most people didn't live to that age then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement