Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does John Mayer have many Irish Fans?

• 02-11-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Only people I know that like him are me and the people I introduced his music too. I love to see him get some play on the radios here too.

Also, has he ever played here before or is there any sign of him doing so...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My younger sister introduced me to his music. A lot of her friends of the 16-18 year old bracket really like him too. He is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

I noticed that everyone i've introduced him to have all loved his music.

PS* Springsteen Fan..... now he's a legend

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

He's a great blues guitarist when doing that kind of stuff. Other than that though, he's very meh.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

always felt he was a bit meh, but I really liked the grammys bit with legend and bailey rae

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mark182 wrote: »
    I noticed that everyone i've introduced him to have all loved his music.

PS* Springsteen Fan..... now he's a legend

Only rivaled by Sir Elton IMO. Nobody on the planet like them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

mark182 wrote: »
    Only people I know that like him are me and the people I introduced his music too. I love to see him get some play on the radios here too.

Also, has he ever played here before or is there any sign of him doing so...

Yep, he played in Vicar Street a few years back, maybe 2005 or 2006? It was a really good gig. He also played in Whelan's a couple of years before that. He's playing a few gigs in the UK in January I think, hopefully when he does a bigger European tour he'll include Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I've been into his music since 2006. Love his stuff. I can count the people I know who like him on one hand, he's still relatively unknown here. I flew to Birmingham to see him last year, and have already gotten my ticket for his January UK tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Can't remember how I discovered him... but I love his music.

Adiboo wrote: »
    I've been into his music since 2006. Love his stuff. I can count the people I know who like him on one hand, he's still relatively unknown here. I flew to Birmingham to see him last year, and have already gotten my ticket for his January UK tour.

im really hoping to go see him in the UK, but i have to buy tickets on eBay most likely

Ticketmaster.co.uk still has tickets I think.

• Advertisement

Adiboo wrote: »
    Ticketmaster.co.uk still has tickets I think.

had no luck.....:(

some for £200 on eBay, i hate when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭chickenpoo

I saw him last night in the Metro theatre in Sydney, it was AMAZING. Small enough venue, a bit like Vicar Street. He played about 5 or 6 songs from the new album, can't wait till it comes out, it's sounding good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭powerzjim

i like his more bluesey stuff, his new song is okish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I really like him, have been a fan of him a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

He's pretty average in my opinion. I saw him in Vicar Street about 4/5 years ago and he was pretty average there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 the10_six5ive

He does indeed. I first hear some of his music yesterday.
    I was like "deadly". I just stumbled across him on youtube yesterday.
    What an epic song !

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Just back from the Manchester gig he did last Friday....awesome show, hes announcing dates bit by bit for a bigger european tour in May/June....Wembley Arena went on presale this morning, password is HEARTBREAK for anyone who wants tickets

Hopefully he does an irish date too

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I had heard some of his music but wasn't a fan, until I saw him on the dvd of the Crossroads festival 2005. I was impressed by his guitar playing rather than his songs/singin. His songwriting/lyrics can be annoying sometimes, but he's a hell of a guitar player.

I liked the Try! album, and Continuum is pretty good too. Where The Light Is is awesome in places, and a bit meh in others imo. The new album was a bit of a disappointment, as in I thought this would be the one that would finally win me over as a fan, and it didn't. Still some great tracks on it.

If he was playing in Ireland, I would be interested in going to see him live.

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Just back from the Manchester gig he did lat Friday....awesome show, hes announcing dates bit by bit for a bigger european tour in May/June....Wembley Arena went on presale this morning, password is HEARTBREAK for anyoen who wants tickets

Hopefully he does an irish date too

Just back from the Glasgow show on Saturday myself. Fantastic stuff as usual.

Should have some videos from the Manchester gig up later
    I love the way he varies his setlist from gig to gig....a few differences in the Manchester/Glasgow gigs, am so glad I got to see him do his version of Free Falling
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-mayer/2010/manchester-apollo-manchester-england-5bd77b6c.html
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-mayer/2010/o2-academy-glasgow-glasgow-scotland-1bd77590.html

The 5 track acoustic set from the start of "Where The Light Is" is ridiculously good, kinda gutted I didnt make plans to go to London too given how rare it is to see him over this side of the Atlantic

• Advertisement

Glasgow was my second time seeing him. Saw him in Birmingham back in 2008. Thinking I might go to the London show in May too.

Have some photos up on my Facebook too, some pretty good shots from front row: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=376602&id=599775190&l=974561b4be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'd go see him live too, purely from a guitarist point of view to pick up some tips! Although some of his stuff is good, Continuum is a good all round album, Try is great and the new one has some good songs too. Earlier stuff is very meh indeed, save for a few songs on Heavier Things. I like his humour though, he's got some funny things up on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Got presale tickets for London on Monday. Couldn't log on until 10.02 so I got Row 23 in the centre block ... could be worse I guess :rolleyes:

Just got some presale for Manchester, Row J which I guess is the 10th row in Block A - not too shabby :)

11053s.gif

I finally got my wish, he's playing oxegen, would prefere a single venue though

Here's hoping that if he gets a good enough reception at Oxegen, he might add an Olympia or Academy show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

love john mayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niaomh

he has to come to ireland .. like i have to see him perform live ive been a fan for a very long time and i think i might just die if he doesnt .. right enough it wouldnt be good on my heart if i saw him in person :L

x.x.x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

He's Playing Oxegen

Advertisement