Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Mountjoy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CrankyHaus wrote:
    How many inside are addicts? 75%, more, less?
    I'd guess between drink and drugs it'd at least 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    How many inside are addicts? 75%, more, less?

Don't know the numbers but I do know that Mountjoy itself is the biggest methadone dispensary in the country. If I was to guess percentages, using a random normal landing as an example, I'd say 35-40% are on heroin treatment programmes but you could easily double that for unofficial users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I prefer solitary confinement to general population in normal life so I couldn't see it being any different in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

TBH I would be more concerned about places like Arbour Hill, where most of the paedophiles and abusers and rapists are held. Some are in Midlands too.

They are considered model prisoners, they just do what they are told and get on with it, because they are not "criminals or addicts or violent" in their eyes. That has to stop.

But anyway, given the catchment area for the Joy or Wheatfield, it can be expected that there will be some idiots spoiling for a fight at some point.

I do think the prison service employees deserve great credit. Some of their members were darn nearly killed in a takeover/kidnap situation the the Joy some time ago.

I still do not understand how Arbour Hill is such a great place for sex offenders. I say this as I know someone who works there. Best transfer option ever they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They are considered model prisoners, they just do what they are told and get on with it, because they are not "criminals or addicts or violent" in their eyes. That has to stop.

I've never understood this. These prisoners (sex crimes & wife murders) have it easier than regular prisoners. Someone in for small crimes have a harder time in prison than wife killers & sex offenders.

Someone in for two years for death by dangerous driving has a tougher sentence than a murderer or paedophile. Remember only last year or so a man was sent to jail for falling asleep at the wheel & killing someone when the car crashed. He could apply on a daily basis to be transferred to Arbour Hill but would never get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've never been in prison but I've been in addiction treatment centres ... as a result, I got to know plenty of people who ended up coming straight into treatment from prison, on TR. Almost all of them found treatment waaaay tougher than prison; in fact some returned to prison for more space and time and privacy, and an easier life.

I know a few mothers who came into treatment with their babies, the babies having spent their first few months in the Dochas. It actually sounds like quite a nice environment, almost certainly safer and better for the young baby than life on the outside with their mother in addiction.

Many lads I know in recovery don't hate prison, it's just been part of their life for a long time, to spend periods of time in and out of prison. Any education they got was almost always through prison. Drugs are always available, but recovery supports are available there too. It's structure and a bed and regular meals, more than most of them are used to on the outside, in fact many people I know will say that prison saved their lives and was the start of their recovery process.

I'd be confident I'd cope alright in prison myself, I don't relish the thought but I'd have no real fear around it. I've been through worse in my life. Hopefully I'll never end up there though.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never understood this. These prisoners (sex crimes & wife murders) have it easier than regular prisoners. Someone in for small crimes have a harder time in prison than wife killers & sex offenders.

Child molesters should housed with the regular prisoners and left to fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Someone in for two years for death by dangerous driving has a tougher sentence than a murderer or paedophile. Remember only last year or so a man was sent to jail for falling asleep at the wheel & killing someone when the car crashed. He could apply on a daily basis to be transferred to Arbour Hill but would never get it.

Why on Earth would you want to be transferred from a mainstream prison to Arbour Hill ?

Would you want to be associating with sex offenders ?

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Joy isn't as bad as it was was 8 or 9 years ago. They all have their own cells now and they all have functioning toilets and running water etc. Before that, it was 2 and 3 people to a confined cell with no toilet facilities, it was a horrendous spot. Single cells with a basic tv, small kettle and a bit of head space is better than what came before it, for everyone.

That sounds insane that you let them have kettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why on Earth would you want to be transferred from a mainstream prison to Arbour Hill ?

Arbour Hill AFAIK is exclusively for serious sex offenders.

Only one way you are getting in there.

• Advertisement

In the main prison you are with armed robbers who'd think nothing of using a child as a human shield. Plenty of tiger kidnappers have put a gun to a small child's head.

Wheatfield and clover Hill have sex offenders too. Captain Eamon Cooke was Wheatfield as were several priests. They would be on the segregation section but if you work in the kitchen, laundry etc you will be beside rapists.

Personally I wouldn't want to spend time with any of them. I don't draw a distinction between the residents of Arbour Hill and half of the residents of any other prison

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Joy isn't as bad as it was was 8 or 9 years ago. They all have their own cells now and they all have functioning toilets and running water etc. Before that, it was 2 and 3 people to a confined cell with no toilet facilities, it was a horrendous spot. Single cells with a basic tv, small kettle and a bit of head space is better than what came before it, for everyone.

Sounds better than most retirement homes I'll be able to afford. Plus free health care and food. Looks like we're heading the same way as Japan.

https://www.businessinsider.com/japan-aging-prison-2018-3?r=US&IR=T

Opposite could be the case. But in reality those in Arbour Hill or Midlands for the same crime will never be mixed with ordinary criminals. For their own safety or something.

Kind of laughable really when you think about it.

It is segregating sex offenders as not being criminals at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I thought all prison were long periods of boredom punctuated by short periods of violence or is that all boys secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Opposite could be the case. But in reality those in Arbour Hill or Midlands for the same crime will never be mixed with ordinary criminals. For their own safety or something.

Kind of laughable really when you think about it.

Ah right , I'm a bit confused.
    I thought Arbour Hill was solely for sex offenders , Cloverhill remand and Wheatfield a mainstream prison.

Totally agree.

Many sex offenders feel that they are the victims and that they shouldn't be in prison. Putting them in a more relaxed regime than regular prisoners reinforces the mentally that they aren't "real" prisoners.

Arbour Hill is the only prison that I have heard of that allows DVD players & movies in the cells. The main prisons do have small tvs but have limited channels or are restricted to the four Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Mountjoy is nothing compared to the prisons in Venezuela.

alvaro-ybarra-zavala-venezuela-prison-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

macnug wrote: »
    Depends on the prison itself, Mountjoy is probably the worst in ireland. US are one of the worst in western world imo, Californian prisons are the worst for white inmates, East Coast not as bad. South American prisons are way worse though, don't even get a bed in most just a rat infested floor.
    You're not a very good criminal are you. It seems everywhere you go you get locked up. Did you ever consider that crime isn't really your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

I stayed there once, It was advertised as a 5 star but was a 3 star at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sex offenders can be on anything up to a life sentence but there is no death penalty in this country so they have to be segregated as it's likely they would be killed if placed in the regular prison population.

I'm keeping an eye to see the if anything comes of the investigation into Whitey Bulger's death in the US. It was pretty clear that he would be killed over there when put in the regular population in that prison.

Whitey was no saint as everybody knows but he didn't get a death sentence but somebody who is not a judge decided to give him the death penalty. That guy should be jailed for life.
    If something like that happened in this country a lot of jobs would be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So if Irish prisons were like the harsh conditions in South America would we have more or less people incarcerated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Abril Agreeable Eggshell

A guy I know who’d have been no stranger to Irish prison got locked up in Australia shortly after arriving for dealing.
    He’d have no shame in admitting he cried like a baby. He said you couldn’t even imagine how awful it was. Wasn’t long about putting a bit of manners on him all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Odhinn

tuxy wrote: »
    So if Irish prisons were like the harsh conditions in South America would we have more or less people incarcerated?

About the same. Harsh prison hasn't reduced crime in those countries and it won't here. They would, however, produce a more hardened lot of criminals.

Odhinn wrote: »
    About the same. Harsh prison hasn't reduced crime in those countries and it won't here. They would, however, produce a more hardened lot of criminals.

Sounds good to me, exactly what we need!

I dont think I'm alone in saying I'd love a stint in prison. Pure curiosity, like. Are you locked up all day? Is there a library, are there games, Is the soap thing true? Would be a great way of getting one's foot in the door with the Irish Times.

Tempted to go off nicking sh¡t from Tesco tomorrow. Let me know if ye need anything, boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I dont think I'm alone in saying I'd love a stint in prison. Pure curiosity, like. Are you locked up all day? Is there a library, are there games, Is the soap thing true? Would be a great way of getting one's foot in the door with the Irish Times.

Tempted to go off nicking sh¡t from Tesco tomorrow. Let me know if ye need anything, boys.

Good luck with that, would need to rack up at least 150 charges before they will even let you into prison here

Are phones and wifi allowed for prisoners?

I am guessing that staff can have phones but must use 3 or 4g at their own expense.

These days, Surely the biggest punishment is lack of access to Instagram., Facebook and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Pulp - common people lyrics

Are phones and wifi allowed for prisoners?

I am guessing that staff can have phones but must use 3 or 4g at their own expense.

These days, Surely the biggest punishment is lack of access to Instagram., Facebook and so on.

You can get whatever you want once you have someone on the outside to pay the money to the criminal gangs. Basic Phones are about €500 - €1000
    Smart phones are much more difficult to smuggle in.

Old story but you get the idea.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/live-budgie-found-during-cell-sweep-at-portlaoise-prison-309806.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Odhinn

tuxy wrote: »
    You can get whatever you want once you have someone on the outside to pay the money to the criminal gangs. Basic Phones are about €500 - €1000
    Smart phones are much more difficult to smuggle in.

Old story but you get the idea.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/live-budgie-found-during-cell-sweep-at-portlaoise-prison-309806.html
    This morning's reports say the budgie is believed to have been smuggled into the prison by a female visitor who concealed the bird internally in her body.

No greater love hath.....

Advertisement