Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E scooters and space cadets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pablo128 wrote: »
    I hope you enjoyed the cold and rain immensely this morning on your cycle to work.
    i cycled to work in that cold and rain and got neither cold nor wet. cyclists don't cycle naked, you know.

granted, i will allow that i was happy not to have been out cycling yesterday evening.
    that said, i had an errand to run yesterday evening in the car, and i would still have preferred to have been on the bike. at one point, the car was telling me the engine had been running over 35 minutes with an average speed attained of 9km/h. i walk at about 6km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

i cycled to work in that cold and rain and got neither cold nor wet. cyclists don't cycle naked, you know.

granted, i will allow that i was happy not to have been out cycling yesterday evening.
    that said, i had an errand to run yesterday evening in the car, and i would still have preferred to have been on the bike. at one point, the car was telling me the engine had been running over 35 minutes with an average speed attained of 9km/h. i walk at about 6km/h.

It was pretty miserable yesterday alright. The only thing my car was telling me that I cared about was the inside temperature was at a steady 25 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It was pretty miserable yesterday alright. The only thing my car was telling me that I cared about was the inside temperature was at a steady 25 degrees.

Does it share any interesting data on the Co2 / Nox levels you're inhaling for hours on end from inside your comfy little air bubble ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I cycled yesterday. I had to throw on an extra base layer under my jacket. How awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I hope you enjoyed the cold and rain immensely this morning on your cycle to work. I had a 25 minute drive to work, to be fair my only gripe is that the car took a little longer to warm up as it was Baltic.

Meanwhile my missus would have done the same journey in 10 minutes, as she works close to me but starts later. That's after hitting the gym in the morning which is about 20kms away.

I actually have little gripe with cyclists or electric scooters other than thinking that the electric scooters can be dangerous for their users on an open road.

I make a conscious decision to run 2 cars. I am a car enthusiast, and ex mechanic. I have an interest in cars and motorcycles. Myself and my missus are middle aged now, and no amount of cajoling, encouraging or downright insults are ever going to force us out of our cars and onto bicycles.

Again, enjoy your commute tomorrow. Hopefully you don't have ice cold rain pummelling your face on your way.

Good for you, amigo. What's with the persecution complex though? Are there hordes of people hounding you to stop using your car?

Duckjob wrote: »
    Does it share any interesting data on the Co2 / Nox levels you're inhaling for hours on end from inside your comfy little air bubble ?

Sure look, I'll take my chances. Hopefully the pollen filter catches some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-dies-car-collision-clare-4892674-Nov2019

Look at this. Yet another tragedy of a pedestrian killed by a car. 5 comments. Every recently article in the journal about cycling has had 200+ comments freaking out about how much of a threat and danger cyclists are.
    Except they're f*cking harmless really aren't they? eScooters and bikes are not the problem on our roads.
    Why do people in cars literally get away with murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-dies-car-collision-clare-4892674-Nov2019

Look at this. Yet another tragedy of a pedestrian killed by a car. 5 comments. Every recently article in the journal about cycling has had 200+ comments freaking out about how much of a threat and danger cyclists are.
    Except they're f*cking harmless really aren't they? eScooters and bikes are not the problem on our roads.
    Why do people in cars literally get away with murder?
    Another “look overt there” post. Nothing wrong with your post per say but it doesn’t relate to the arguments for/against e scooters here.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Another “look overt there” post. Nothing wrong with your post per say but it doesn’t relate to the arguments for/against e scooters here.

There is no argument. eScooters and bicycles are harmless. Some motorists may find them a nuisance but that's about as far as it goes. I just can't understand why a cyclist breaking red lights or not wearing high vis causes such outrage, whereas you can kill people willy nilly with a car and no one cares. Can you imagine the furore if it was in the news that a cyclist hurt someone? It's utterly bizarre.

https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-critical-collision-cyclist-3920019-Mar2018/

Look at this. 200 and odd posts, and it doesn't even say who was at fault. Why is there such outrage over this, but no one gives a f*ck when a car kills someone?

There is no argument. eScooters and bicycles are harmless. Some motorists may find them a nuisance but that's about as far as it goes. I just can't understand why a cyclist breaking red lights or not wearing high vis causes such outrage, whereas you can kill people willy nilly with a car and no one cares. It's utterly bizarre.

E scooters are not harmless. A cyclist breaking a red light is not harmless. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either clueless or trolling IMO.
    As for your last sentence......Christ on a bike!!

In response to your quick edit. So what. Unfortunate and all that is, this thread is about e scooters. Have a look at the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

There is no argument. eScooters and bicycles are harmless. Some motorists may find them a nuisance but that's about as far as it goes. I just can't understand why a cyclist breaking red lights or not wearing high vis causes such outrage, whereas you can kill people willy nilly with a car and no one cares. Can you imagine the furore if it was in the news that a cyclist hurt someone? It's utterly bizarre.

https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-critical-collision-cyclist-3920019-Mar2018/

Look at this. 200 and odd posts, and it doesn't even say who was at fault. Why is there such outrage over this, but no one gives a f*ck when a car kills someone?

I think it's down to the endless hours people spend in their cars, angry, frustrated and jealous of cyclists or people on escooters "skipping" the traffic while they have been sold a dream by the motor industry of going anywhere, anytime with nothing in their way.

It's about priorities. There's a reason e-scooters are low down on the agenda list. Sorry your kid got a whack but it's still small change in the grand scheme of things. Things would be a lot different if he/she got hit by something faster/heavier.

It's gas the posters on here who harp on about drivers murdering cyclists when most of them are drivers themselves.

Hypocrites.

How is that hypocritical?

I'm careful when I drive. Unlike some drivers I don't go crying when someone suggests that I should have to pay more attention/accept more responsibility when driving than I do when walking or cycling (or using a scooter for that matter although I don't own one) because that's just common sense imo. It's a dangerous activity which I'm well aware of and prepared to accept whatever is needed to mitigate the risk to others. Not whinge just because "they get to do it!".

Stark wrote: »
    How is that hypocritical?

I'm careful when I drive. Unlike some drivers I don't go crying when someone suggests that I should have to pay more attention/accept more responsibility when driving than I do when walking or cycling (or using a scooter for that matter although I don't own one) because that's just common sense imo. It's a dangerous activity which I'm well aware of and prepared to accept whatever is needed to mitigate the risk to others. Not whinge just because "they get to do it!".

Oh okay. You are a super careful driver, but everyone else is not. Got it now.

Many drivers are careful. Quite a few are not. And the ones that aren't cause a disproportionate amount of damage with less risk to selves than more vulnerable users. If you're generally concerned about road safety and not just looking to get at people who annoy you, it's clear where the focus needs to be.

Many drivers are careful. Quite a few are not. And the ones that aren't cause a disproportionate amount of damage with less risk to selves than more vulnerable users.

So why do you tar all motorists with the same brush, calling them murderers?

It's not motorists v cyclists on the road. We all use the roads together.

So why do you tar all motorists with the same brush, calling them murderers?

It's not motorists v cyclists on the road. We all use the roads together.

Aww, not nice being tarred with the one brush is it? Don't worry, you can forget about it all soon enough and get back to trolling the cycling forum.

For the record, I'm only getting at irresponsible drivers. Since I'm sure you're not one of those, you have nothing to be upset about.

It's about priorities. There's a reason e-scooters are low down on the agenda list. Sorry your kid got a whack but it's still small change in the grand scheme of things. Things would be a lot different if he/she got hit by something faster/heavier.

No. This is about e scooters. Nothing else. Why are people trying to shoehorn cars and the like into this.
    You might fob off a child getting a whack by one of these but I don’t.

My child wasn’t hit by “something faster/heavier he was hit by a scooter. Once again stop shoehorning.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2405475/e-scooters-not-bad

The stats don't seem to agree with them being dangerous.

I accidentally knocked over a small child when I was out running one evening a few years ago. Should we have a crusade against joggers as well?

Also for all your accusations of whataboutery or shoe-horning, the conclusion is the same, that anything that encourages people out of cars and onto other modes of transport is a net positive for road safety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's gas the posters on here who harp on about drivers murdering cyclists when most of them are drivers themselves.

Hypocrites.
    According to an insurance company in the UK who did research on their motor insurance customers, customers who were also cyclists were making claims at half the rate of non-cyclists. Cyclists are better drivers than non cyclists, on average.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

According to an insurance company in the UK who did research on their motor insurance customers, customers who were also cyclists were making claims at half the rate of non-cyclists. Cyclists are better drivers than non cyclists, on average.

I suspect there an element of twin reasons there - they are likely also driving less. I doubt the figure was claims per million miles but instead time based

the number of e-scooters i see on my commute now has shot up since christmas. must have been a very popular christmas present.

So are the Garda seizing them or not?

Not till after the election......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some are, some aren't, some seem to not realise others do. I suspect it depends heavily on the Garda and secondly if the Super has directed them to do so, and lastly if they are arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect there an element of twin reasons there - they are likely also driving less. I doubt the figure was claims per million miles but instead time based

That's possible, but there's also a study that shows that cyclist-drivers react quicker to changes in the road scene, be that cyclists or signs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Not out my way at least. One took an interest, asked a few questions like how fast it could go and said to be careful that's it. Another was taking the mick because I still don't have a car. I'm down the midlands tho and there's maybe 2 other users in town so that may be the difference.