Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert

• 03-10-2010 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Anyone going to a live screening tonight? (or maybe the real thing :eek:)

I'm going to the Swan Centre in Rathmines. Have high hopes. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Chocolate

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

We saw it in Liffey Valley. It felt like we were at the real thing. Some of the performances were spine-tingling. Javert and Fantine were amazing. Marius was the weak link in the performance.

The four Valjeans at the end were just superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Yeah Nick Jonas was Marius. I don't think he smiled through the whole performance, and refused to look at who he was acting with. I was really impressed with everyone else though, was superbly done.

Norm Lewis was excellent but he's not quite Philip Quast.

Really good night

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Saw it in Dublin City centre - wow is all I can say, with the exception of the Disney Marius - was not impressed with him at all. Nevermind the constant straight face, couldn't get over the need to jerk his head all the time...

Went to see the show years ago and they had cast one of the boys from S Club 7 as Marius too - I think they are trying to make it relevant to younger audiences by putting a popstar in the role.

The Valjean piece at the end was spectacular - great to see CT flying the flag for the Irish!

I think you're talking about Jon Lee - who if you were watching closely appeared as one of the sailors during Lovely Ladies ("even stokers need a little stoke")

In my defence for recognising him, I was the appropriate age to enjoy S Club 7 at the time. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JulietJones

Saw it in the Eye cinema in galway. Just outstanding. Loved the four valjeans too- had tears tolling down my cheeks. Javert was brilliant! Best 3 hours I have spent in ages!

• Advertisement

AndrewJD wrote: »
    I think you're talking about Jon Lee - who if you were watching closely appeared as one of the sailors during Lovely Ladies ("even stokers need a little stoke")

In my defence for recognising him, I was the appropriate age to enjoy S Club 7 at the time. :p

I did spot him - but I was trying to wipe that from my memory lol
    There were a few chorus members from the 10th Anniversary concert there too

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

What a brilliant night!

Apart from Nick Jonas I loved it all! Especially Bring him home at the end!

Felt like such a twit clapping at a cinema screen, but it was well deserved!

:)

Felt like such a twit clapping at a cinema screen, but it was well deserved!

I wasn't going to, but others were, so I joined in by Act 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Saw it in the Eye in Galway too and loved it!

Thought Enjorlas was brilliant as was pretty much everyone else. Teh 4 Valjeans were amazing.

Nick Jonas was weak - voice not powerful enough and acting pretty poor. But Empty Chairs was pretty good.

Am I the only person who doesnt like Norm Lewis as Javert?! I just dont see it at all. Phillip Quast made it a hard role to live up to but I saw Les Mis in the Barbican a few weeks ago and though that Earl Carpenter was way better than Norm Lewis. At least Earl Carpenter got the role of the bishop!

How could I have forgotten to mention Enjolras?! He was fantastic!

• Advertisement

Am I the only person who doesnt like Norm Lewis as Javert?!

I think he has a certain gravitas which works well, and he was very good, but competition in this role is huge, and I'd agree there are two ore three people that could have done it better.

And yah, Enjolras was the best. He's the reason Nick Jonas suffered, NJ was dwarfed by Karimloo's talent.

Did anyone else spot that Lea Salonga, who played the character Fantine last night, played the character Eponine in the 10th anniversary concert?

Chocolate wrote: »
    Did anyone else spot that Lea Salonga, who played the character Fantine last night, played the character Eponine in the 10th anniversary concert?

yup yup - I would think she is the most famous Eponine (maybe thats just me though)

How daunting must it have been for Samantha Barks to play Eponine, with Lea on the stage/side stage area :eek:

How daunting must it have been for Samantha Barks to play Eponine, with Lea on the stage/side stage area :eek:

Never mind that, imagine playing Jean Valjean in fron of Colm Wilkinson :eek::eek::eek:

AndrewJD wrote: »
    Never mind that, imagine playing Jean Valjean in fron of Colm Wilkinson :eek::eek::eek:

This is true, but I'm a girl so I'll instantly hone in on the female parts lol

We did a production of Man of La Mancha a few years back - a show CT also performed in - during the interval someone spotted him sitting in the audience.
    Now to an amateur society there was a mixture of "OMG I can't believe it" & "Who the hell is CT Wilkinson??" He very nicely came backstage and spoke to the cast & crew, it was all very nice I must say.

Interestingly enough, back to the Les Mis concert, I noticed at the end that the Demo Phantom of the Opera (CT) and the new sequel Phantom (Ramin) were sharing a mic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Hi All,
    Have seen Les Mis twice, first time a long number of years ago in London and more recently in the point (sorry O2 for the children) with CT playing Valjean. One of the greatest musical experiences of my life apart from discovering that my children actually have a good voice unlike me.

Otherwise its Blood brothers, Phantom, showboat etc that rocks my craddle.

Regards,

Mike

PS Also like CT's version of Man of La mancha (spelt wrong but what the hell you get the idea).

1_Tyreman wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Have seen Les Mis twice, first time a long number of years ago in London and more recently in the point (sorry O2 for the children) with CT playing Valjean. One of the greatest musical experiences of my life apart from discovering that my children actually have a good voice unlike me.

Otherwise its Blood brothers, Phantom, showboat etc that rocks my craddle.

Regards,

Mike

PS Also like CT's version of Man of La mancha (spelt wrong but what the hell you get the idea).

Snap :)
    Saw that show in the Point too.
    Going to see CT on Sunday night in the Grand Canal Theatre with my Dad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Ah, the joys of living within the pail, us country bumkins have to wait for the travelling circus to get to us now for a bit of entertainment.... or else watch "this week in politics" for a laugh.

Enjoy the show, I think its coming to UL so all is not yet lost!

Regards,
    Mike

1_Tyreman wrote: »
    Ah, the joys of living within the pail, us country bumkins have to wait for the travelling circus to get to us now for a bit of entertainment.... or else watch "this week in politics" for a laugh.

Enjoy the show, I think its coming to UL so all is not yet lost!

Regards,
    Mike

HA! sure my Dad is travelling up from the sticks for it :D
    CT usually plays throughout the country, so you could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, saw him in UL: there last friday.
    He sounded splendid, but there were a few nuances I didn't like from the band.
    One thing that stuck out like sand in my eye, was in the encore, he sand Bring Him Home. It wasn't the version from the show, but one arranged slightly different to be able to be played on its own.
    The bass player had a double bass, and electric bass to choose from, and he decided on the electric. It sounded bloody horribly, you couldn't get the real pianissimo notes from the bass that you could with the bow and double bass, every note sounded too heavy and too loud, especially when the piano was just delicately plinking away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

This was really Brilliant, i would recommend it to everyone! The cast were amazing and the seats i had were ok. But we really made a night of it as we had dinner too. :)

If you haven't seen it then you really do need to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheatreBoy

I Was There, It Was AMAZING.

Was Wondering Around The o2 During The Interval And Saw Raminn Kairmloo And Norm Lewis Chatting Away Outside Their Dressing Room.

I Tried To Go Through The Door To Where They Were But The 6'7 Security Guy Was Having None Of It...

I bought the dvd and I've just managed to sit down and watch it through..brought tears to my eyes when the newest Valjean came in during the 4 part...absolutely fantastic.
    Nice touch for the 3 to step back and leave CT to finish the song on his own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

I was there at evening performance. Wife got me tickets for 40th. Absolutely fantastcic. The guy who sat beside me at the start apologised in advance that he was gonna cry as he knew he would be so emotional.

When Alfie Boe sang Bring Him Home I looked around and nearly everyone was crying.

Just saw DVD and before CT sings the start of Bring Him Home a dublin lad shows 'Go On Colm' and he gives a little smile and Michael Ball breaks out laughing. That was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm famous

I was there at evening performance. Wife got me tickets for 40th. Absolutely fantastcic. The guy who sat beside me at the start apologised in advance that he was gonna cry as he knew he would be so emotional.

When Alfie Boe sang Bring Him Home I looked around and nearly everyone was crying.

Just saw DVD and before CT sings the start of Bring Him Home a dublin lad shows 'Go On Colm' and he gives a little smile and Michael Ball breaks out laughing. That was me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm famous

I'll have to go watch that now :D

Finally got the DVD, watching through it now. I was a bit 'unkeen' on Norm Lewis before, but after rewatching Stars I've realised his slightly different take is on par with Mr Quast. The same applies to Lea Salonga versus my previous favourite (from the last concert) Ruthie Henshall. It's not the same, but it's not worse. The only person I still think wasn't the best choice is Mr Jonas, not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

anyone any idea when a production of Les Mis might be coming to Dublin again?

There's no news of anything, as far as I can find. It wouldn't be for a good few years if I had to guess, maybe fitting with the 30th anniversary?

On the other hand, because the movie seems to be in development right now, it's release in a year or so may spur enough interest to have another tour. Keep your fingers crossed.

Advertisement