Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    moneyman wrote: »
    More than likely, yes. I don't really buy that Conor's cardio could improve to such an extent that it could be on par with the likes of Poirier/Diaz etc in the later rounds, particularly if he hasn't had it all his way to that point. It's a weakness, largely due to his explosive style. His punches never have pop when we've seen him in rounds 4 And 5, and his footwork and movement are seriously slowed by that point also. That's normal to a degree but it seems to affect Conor more than others.

I think he has a good chance of finishing Dustin within the first two rounds regardless. But if it goes to the later rounds nothing will surprise me.

I don't buy the cardio issues talk ,

Came about after Diaz 1, he was fighting at Welter weight and had only 3 month previous been fighting at Feather weight so you can see how that would cause cardo issues when he was trying to get a bigger man out of there like he did feather weights ,, he also got hurt by a shot from Diaz

Then you have the Floyd fight where he lasted 30 minutes in his first boxing match against one of the greatest to ever do it,

Against Khabib he lasted longer than Dustin and even won the 3rd round and now he seems in better shape than that,

Can he lose yes of course but I don't buy the bad cardio story ,

Is he more dangerous early yes but I don't think he has cardio "problems"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor by Sub
    porier will be thinking 'get to round 3 and i beat this guy'

still think he gets finished early though, i just hope its not 40 seconds

McGregor by Sub
    akelly02 wrote: »
    porier will be thinking 'get to round 3 and i beat this guy'

still think he gets finished early though, i just hope its not 40 seconds

He has basically said as much that he will try not to engage early the problem is if he does not "engage" how does he expect Conor to tire ?

Its not like Conor will chase him swinging wild shots and miss he is way more measured , The perception is that Conor tired fighting Diaz & even if that is true Diaz took an absolute pasting before that happened , He was also on the deck and Conor let him up afraid of his guard if Dustin hits the deck Conor will be all over him ,

I think Dustin's only chance is to hurt Conor in an exchange ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think the cardio problem is very real. Does he possess KO power after round 2? Not that I've seen.

McGregor by Sub
    Still Ill wrote: »
    I think the cardio problem is very real. Does he possess KO power after round 2? Not that I've seen.

Well he has only gone past round 2 3 times
    Holloway on one leg ,and Max has never been stopped by strikes,
    Khabib hard to tell as he mauls everyone,
    Diaz who has only ever been stopped once with a cracking shin to the head,

Conor has only lost once when he gone past round 2 and that was to the GOAT

I just don't see any real evidence of the cardio "problem" , but yes he is more likely to KO you early ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub
    A very different fight night for me. Normally I'm out and come home to watch or have the lads round. This time I intend early to bed Saturday, get up at 3am for the main card, I'll watch the prelims during the week.

Going to get a fry in and time it so that I'm wiping up the last of the egg as I hear 'here we go!'

McGregor by Sub
    A very different fight night for me. Normally I'm out and come home to watch or have the lads round. This time I intend early to bed Saturday, get up at 3am for the main card, I'll watch the prelims during the week.

Going to get a fry in and time it so that I'm wiping up the last of the egg as I hear 'here we go!'

same , scrambled eggs for me .

my scrambled egg game is like no other , im untouchable at the moment i feel.

i mean gordon ramsey is good, but he is still levels below me .

a focused me takes over the whole egg game in fact, fried , boiled , poached, i take them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

McGregor by Sub
    Dustin doesn't have Diaz cardio. He can make to the end of a fight, but he loses some pop in his shots too. He was smashing Max at the start of their fight, Max's only success came in the later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Well he has only gone past round 2 3 times
    Holloway on one leg ,and Max has never been stopped by strikes,
    Khabib hard to tell as he mauls everyone,
    Diaz who has only ever been stopped once with a cracking shin to the head,

Conor has only lost once when he gone past round 2 and that was to the GOAT

I just don't see any real evidence of the cardio "problem" , but yes he is more likely to KO you early ,

Ah yeah, I know that, but I don't think there was any power in his punches in the third round V Khabib and may not be hugely relevant, but there was definitely nothing in his punches after the third v Mayweather.

Anyway, I expect him to get it done within two v Poirier regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub

a focused me takes over the whole egg game in fact, fried , boiled , poached, i take them all.

You'll poach nuthin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Some good lines in there about the posters from McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    Nice and friendly all around in the press conference so far.

Conor is definetly showing the weight cut in his face already I reckon. Dustin too but less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

As much as I hate to say it, conor coming across very well in presser. Looking for khabibs belt to stripped after for inactivity after 3month is ironic. Other than that he seems like nice fella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

anyone else think Dustin looked wrecked? could be the time difference or the weight but i cant see anything past conor inside 2

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Other than that he seems like nice fella

Really?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Looking for khabibs belt to stripped after for inactivity after 3month is ironic.

And the fact that Khabib has said he is retired and was non committal to a comeback. Dana stripped Henry Cejudo's belt quick enough when he retired in the octagon.

It's all just McGregor putting pressure on Khabib to commit to the rematch.

McGregor by Sub
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    And the fact that Khabib has said he is retired and was non committal to a comeback. Dana stripped Henry Cejudo's belt quick enough when he retired in the octagon.

It's all just McGregor putting pressure on Khabib to commit to the rematch.

i think the rematch will be iconic

he has to come back !

please come back khabib!

McGregor by Sub
    i seen some video of that press conference, porier does NOT look confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Fascinates me to read takes like this.

Poirier looked totally comfortable. Mcgregor is rocking the crack addict look early this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Poirier looks very calm. McGregor already looking past him.

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Fascinates me to read takes like this.

Poirier looked totally comfortable. Mcgregor is rocking the crack addict look early this time.

im in work so cant play the sound, but i honestly thought he didnt look sure of himself

and this is coming from a lad that hates all this 'mental warfare' bullshiite

I don't think CMcGregors mam is well at all. when that guy read out the 2013 quote as soon as he mention his mam, Mcgregor winced and try to fight back emotion.

I hope she's ok anyway.

It was a bit lovey dovey for me but still a good conference and again, I really think he's in a good place away from all them scum bags, at least for now.

funniest post I've seen in a while...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Really enjoyed the latest embedded and the presser

McGregor by Sub
    Not sure if Conor suit was to big or if he looked very gaunt already , He looked fragile
    I also think Dustin looked extremely nervous ,

McGregor by Sub
    Not sure if Conor suit was to big or if he looked very gaunt already , He looked fragile

i agree ... porier looked deflated or something.

its weird, not as if mcgregor done anything to get in his head or anything

McGregor by Sub
    i agree ... porier looked deflated or something.

its weird, not as if mcgregor done anything to get in his head or anything

He looked like someone who felt inferior ,

McGregor by Sub
    He looked like someone who felt inferior ,

he is :D

The banter when he was signing the posters was funny, "neither is poor Dustin either" gas stuff, uniquely Irish lets be honest.

Dustin knows what a smack feels like so he'll get a hard one and then he'll be gun shy from the exchanges.. as a wise man once said

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true"

...Patrick swayze..Point break.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub

Yes.

Conor looked to be the man in charge alright....

Anyway....it matters most in the cage....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement