Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

Also folks, mine says 'US Plug - White', do i need to pick up a plug adaptor somewhere in the mean time?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Also folks, mine says 'US Plug - White', do i need to pick up a plug adaptor somewhere in the mean time?

Nope, it includes an adapter. It's 100-240v so can be used worldwide with an adapter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I had a Yuneec Typhoon H that I sold after the controller died at 41% (had to wait 21mins for it to come down praying that it would land safely alone) as I couldnt bear to have something worth so much money floating and me powerless to stop it. I have been watching this thread since the start and I have added this drone to the basket about 5 times already, still restraining myself :pac:

I had a Yuneec Typhoon H that I sold after the controller died at 41% (had to wait 21mins for it to come down praying that it would land safely alone) as I couldnt bear to have something worth so much money floating and me powerless to stop it. I have been watching this thread since the start and I have added this drone to the basket about 5 times already, still restraining myself

Hahaha, it'll happen one day, once you see more boardsies' reports and reviews

I had a Yuneec Typhoon H that I sold after the controller died at 41% (had to wait 21mins for it to come down praying that it would land safely alone) as I couldnt bear to have something worth so much money floating and me powerless to stop it. I have been watching this thread since the start and I have added this drone to the basket about 5 times already, still restraining myself :pac:

I have a Bebop drone that i've used a good bit. Photographing houses for sale. Sometimes rural, sometimes urban, and the few times it loses connection are the longest seconds of your life.

Thankfully, I've never crashlanded in a place I couldn't get it, but i have had to climb a few trees and shrubs and thorny bushes over the last 2 years or so.

One time, in Carlingford, the sterling exchange rate must have just dropped, cos the drone headed for the north and was not coming back. I still often wonder where or how it landed.

So yeah.. it does happen, unfortunately. TedPan's videos here show him using this drone in ways I'd never dare use the Bebop, so hopefully this Xiaomi one is actually better... though I presume line-of-sight is still a requirement at all times.

• Advertisement

So yeah.. it does happen, unfortunately. TedPan's videos here show him using this drone in ways I'd never dare use the Bebop, so hopefully this Xiaomi one is actually better... though I presume line-of-sight is still a requirement at all times.

Yep, has to be in line of sight. It really is the easiest drone I've ever flown and have flown a mavic. Simple controls and stops dead in the air when you let go of the remote. Return to home accuracy is unreal too. you'll love it!

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep, has to be in line of sight. It really is the easiest drone I've ever flown and have flown a mavic. Simple controls and stops dead in the air when you let go of the remote. Return to home accuracy is unreal too. you'll love it!

Hope so.. I'll race ya around Mornington in 3 weeks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I have a Bebop drone that i've used a good bit. Photographing houses for sale. Sometimes rural, sometimes urban, and the few times it loses connection are the longest seconds of your life.

Thankfully, I've never crashlanded in a place I couldn't get it, but i have had to climb a few trees and shrubs and thorny bushes over the last 2 years or so.

One time, in Carlingford, the sterling exchange rate must have just dropped, cos the drone headed for the north and was not coming back. I still often wonder where or how it landed.

As tedpan says, good line of sight works best. Was flying today, and it lost contact, but got a message on the tablet to say it was returning home, and it did. And to within about 2 feet of where it took off. Amazing piece of equipment really.
    Hope so.. I'll race ya around Mornington in 3 weeks! :D

I hope it does arrive in 3 weeks, but mine took 5. The tracking number meant nought, until it arrived in Portlaoise.

Hope so.. I'll race ya around Mornington in 3 weeks!

Oh yeah, forgot you were local!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

November is bonus month and I'd my mind set on a Mavic Pro. Simply struggling to justify the price difference vs the Mi Drone at this stage however

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote:
    November is bonus month and I'd my mind set on a Mavic Pro. Simply struggling to justify the price difference vs the Mi Drone at this stage however

Hmmm, it's all about the portability plus nice DJI functions like follow me mode which I'm not looking for anyway. There's not a lot different with the rest of the specs. My mate says the mi drone copes better on windy conditions than his mavic, so was chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Got around to setting mine up today and took it for a quick night flight. Wow great bit of kit. So easy to fly. Looking forward to taking it out for a day flight. Think I’ll order the second battery :)

logistic wrote:
    Got around to setting mine up today and took it for a quick night flight. Wow great bit of kit. So easy to fly. Looking forward to taking it out for a day flight. Think I’ll order the second battery

Awesome mate, glad you're happy! It was a perfect evening too. Have fun tomorrow!

Tell the truth Tedpan.. are you getting commission :P

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Never understood the VLOS rules for drone-flying. With FPV, you've got an inside look into what the drone is actually seeing and you can easily control it since you know the camera is facing to the front. Makes it much easier to set up good looking photos as well and videos.

With VLOS, at 300 feet, you're pretty much looking at a dot in the sky and it can be hard to orientate yourself especially if your eyesight is poor. Plus there are enough safety features built into these drones (auto-land with low-battery, return home when signal lost, etc) that makes their risk approach zero.

Not encouraging anyone break the law but my 2 cents.

Jlayay wrote: »
    Never understood the VLOS rules for drone-flying. With FPV, you've got an inside look into what the drone is actually seeing and you can easily control it since you know the camera is facing to the front. Makes it much easier to set up good looking photos as well and videos.

With VLOS, at 300 feet, you're pretty much looking at a dot in the sky and it can be hard to orientate yourself especially if your eyesight is poor. Plus there are enough safety features built into these drones (auto-land with low-battery, return home when signal lost, etc) that makes their risk approach zero.

Not encouraging anyone break the law but my 2 cents.

Well I fly the drone in random areas, and often they are built up and have telephone lines, trees, etc. overhead, so I generally am constantly flipping between staring at the phone to make sure my shots are lined up properly, and staring at the drone itself.

So I can kind of understand it in that regard.

That said, my bebop would rarely get 300-400meters away before cutting out. It would rarely need to go any further in fairness, but apparently the drone here can reach 4km (which I am confident is a massive exaggeration) so if you were out at the coast or something like that, i could understand not needing to see the drone itself.

Tell the truth Tedpan.. are you getting commission

Haha, no just like to give advice! I wish I got commission.. I'm technical support for family and the majority of my friends!

That said, my bebop would rarely get 300-400meters away before cutting out. It would rarely need to go any further in fairness, but apparently the drone here can reach 4km (which I am confident is a massive exaggeration) so if you were out at the coast or something like that, i could understand not needing to see the drone itself.

Take it down the beach, easily gets to 2km. Got nervous, so turned around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Any other coupon codes? The Nov one has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭EireCelt

Bought a battery off Tomtop last month for €67 quid, not bad value until this morning that was, customs are looking for €25 :(

• Advertisement

EireCelt wrote:
    Bought a battery off Tomtop last month for €67 quid, not bad value until this morning that was, customs are looking for €25

Same as me from banggood a few months ago, was fuming. Maybe that's why gearbest costs more, I know others have, but I've never got hit with customs from them.

Any other coupon codes? The Nov one has expired.

Haven't seen any recently, think its 369e on Gearbest at the moment without a code

use drone1026 and its 332 euro

use drone1026 and its 332 euro

Thanks for that, just bought one & a second battery. And now we wait.....

Quick couple of questions: Does it come with an micro sdcard? What's the largest size it can take?

Quick couple of questions: Does it come with an micro sdcard? What's the largest size it can take?

No SD card is included, same as buying any other camera. 64GB is the largest in the manual although I've seen people using a 128GB card. I only have used 64GB class 10 or better in mine. I use memoryc.ie for SD storage. Make sure you buy a genuine card.

Here's the latest footage from around the estate. Didn't lose control but used Return to Home on the way back. Getting lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Here's the latest footage from around the estate. Didn't lose control but used Return to Home on the way back. Getting lazy!

Hi tedpan,

Thanks for all the information on this drone. I am now seriously considering!! I don't seem to able to get a spare battery shipped with the drone, rather like I have to create a separate order. It works out at €75 incl shipping cost, shipping through Sweden express! Did you get your spare battery from them? The drone and spare props delivered (through Ireland express) with code drone1026 comes in at €343 at the moment. What's the chance of getting it before Christmas if ordered today!! Thanks for all the super footage BTW!

Battery here from Tomtop Germany warehouse for 68euro

https://www.tomtop.com/de/p-rm7962.html?utm_source=tradetracker&utm_campaign=de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Battery here from Tomtop Germany warehouse for 68euro

https://www.tomtop.com/de/p-rm7962.html?utm_source=tradetracker&utm_campaign=de

This should avoid customs so....coming from Germany? 5 working days seems great too

Advertisement