Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walker WP645TS-HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Dave..M wrote: »
    I was reading about that on here, I have an old wp75 (just sat tuner) as a secondary box and it has always had the satfree set up, very handy alright, but for some reason on those (or maybe just mine!) you need to do a full new install if you want to do a freesat rescan (which was a pain when BBC were doing all their freq changes). Hopefully the 64 does a freesat rescan with less ado!

It is alright but for people like me with only now/next before, totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Is there any sign of Walker releasing a Soarview Combi Box with a 500GB or 1TB hard drive, similar to the box being discussed here and the Walker WP6500TTR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Antenna

Have heard of elderly people with this box looking for help (from retailers) after they accidentally put the box in 'Radio-only' mode and they do not know how to get out of it (A "TV/Radio" button on the remote above button 3 cycles through modes of 'TV Only', 'Radio Only' or 'Show All'.) .
    This button can easily be accidentally pressed by people who do not know its purpose, putting the box into radio-only mode and so locking out the TV channels, and it remains in radio-only mode after powercycling the box as well !
    The 'TV/radio' print on this button is not easily seen by people who need reading glasses.

If the box is put in radio-only mode it would be more elderly-friendly if the box reverted to 'All' mode after a power-down/powerup (people will usually try powering boxes down and back on before looking for help)
    If there is another update to these boxes, maybe this should be addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Evening all.

Just noticed recently every time I go to my mums her satellite channels seem to be "missing".
    When I press the opt button it says no channels added, so I go to setup and load them from the load settings menu and alls well. She's lost confidence in it so its hard to say how long they last for before they disappear but I wonder am I missing something obvious. Cannot remember the fw version but for some reason 2.8 is in my head.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

unit 1 wrote: »
    Evening all.

Just noticed recently every time I go to my mums her satellite channels seem to be "missing".
    When I press the opt button it says no channels added, so I go to setup and load them from the load settings menu and alls well. She's lost confidence in it so its hard to say how long they last for before they disappear but I wonder am I missing something obvious. Cannot remember the fw version but for some reason 2.8 is in my head.

Do fw update. Have seen that problem before and new fw sorted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 nolnah

unit 1 wrote: »
    Evening all.

Latest fw is 3.8 When using opt button press once for satellite press again for freesat,all channels are pre loaded with 3.8 fw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Info on how to install Firmware v3.8 (SatFree) from a USB Drive here - http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/tag/firmware-v3-8/

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Thanks for the info I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Came home today and Walker box just says 'init' on the display and totally unresponsive to any remote input. Unplugged HDD and unplugged power for 30sec but as soon as I reconnected power it says 'init' again.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

rh5555 wrote: »
    Came home today and Walker box just says 'init' on the display and totally unresponsive to any remote input. Unplugged HDD and unplugged power for 30sec but as soon as I reconnected power it says 'init' again.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

You could try putting the firmware on a memory stick, then while the box is off insert the stick and then turn the box on. It might re-install the firmware and get the box up running again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Remove the terrestrial and satellite cables and reboot

Thanks. Unplugged everything. When I put power plug back in it still says 'init' on the display but there is no TV picture/unresponsive to any remote input.

Guess I need to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm having two constant problems with this box:

1. The audio on RTÉ One slowly goes out of sync. Not sure if it happens on other channels
    2. When I go to "info" on a programme in the now/next view it's always blank for Saorview channels. If I go to the EPG menu then the info works fine. Satellite channels do not present this problem.

Anyone else having these issues? Have to say 3.8 is so much more reliable in general - I haven't had the box freeze since upgrading, and timeshifting hasn't failed on me in a long time.

1. The audio on RTÉ One slowly goes out of sync. Not sure if it happens on other channels

Is the TV connected by HDMI or SCART ?

I think HDMI might be affected but SCART would be OK ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

rh5555 wrote: »
    Thanks. Unplugged everything. When I put power plug back in it still says 'init' on the display but there is no TV picture/unresponsive to any remote input.

Guess I need to send it back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81302446&postcount=145

Flicking quickly back and forth between the terrestrial services might sort this. Its software related.

I don't know of a manual sync jog wheel for the Vestels. (Try Menu button and 4726 to see if the engineer mode works and allows tweaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I just bought one of these in PowerCity yesterday and I tried getting it up and running last night. First time installation and I select the terrestrial stations and all the irish channels are scanned in no problem.

Then I set the antennae to direct as this is the setup that we have and then I go to satellite automatic scan and select astra 2 28.2 to scan....the scan starts and it scans for ages.... goes all the way through to about 3/4's of the way through the scan/search and that it just stops....no message or anything to explain whats wrong but no channels come in even though I can see it scanning bbc1 2 ch4 etc...when its is listing the channels as it scans. I tried astra 3 and it runs through a full scan no problem and stations come in....it just seems to be when I try an automatic scan on astra 2

Any help/ideas please?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I tried astra 3 and it runs through a full scan no problem and stations come in....

What stations came in? Presumably it was UK services that happen to be carried on similar frequencies to some of the Astra 3 stuff? Astra 3 @23.5 degrees east is mostly foreign pay tv & also carries 'Astra2Connect' internet.

You would only get the actual Astra 3 stuff if your dish is set up to receive it.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What stations came in? Presumably it was UK services that happen to be carried on similar frequencies to some of the Astra 3 stuff? Astra 3 @23.5 degrees east is mostly foreign pay tv & also carries 'Astra2Connect' internet.

You would only get the actual Astra 3 stuff if your dish is set up to receive it.

Yeah I know...I was just trying it to see if anything would scan at all for me as I had some signal strength for this one to try. Very little came in...mostly encrypeted stations that I had no picture for but CNN is an example of a station that came in and that should come in with an astra 2 scan. Any idea why the scna isn't completing for me or is there somthing wrong with the box itself?

Download and install satfree firmware from here
    Then add astra 28 and do satfree scan. It is a lot quicker scanning then full scan 2-3 min I think.

• Advertisement

inc21 wrote: »
    Download and install satfree firmware from here
    Then add astra 28 and do satfree scan. It is a lot quicker scanning then full scan 2-3 min I think.

Thanks for the suggestion...I suppose I don't really want to install anything if its a fault with the box...as I'm sure if I go messing around with firmware updates then powercity probably won't take it back then and blame me for messing with it. Think I might just bring it back...its the safest bet seen as nobody here seems to have had the same issue.

Thanks for the suggestion...I suppose I don't really want to install anything if its a fault with the box...as I'm sure if I go messing around with firmware updates then powercity probably won't take it back then and blame me for messing with it. Think I might just bring it back...its the safest bet seen as nobody here seems to have had the same issue.

No bothers. Firmware update is something user has to do anyways and if you fallow instructions to the T on tvtrade website, you cant do much wrong.
    Working in electrical shop myself (selling this box). If less than 30 days old and if the box won't turn on you should get ur money back or replacement. I don't know about powercity but we just plug it in to see and make sure you haven't driven over it or something.

STB wrote: »

Thanks STB. I would try flashing (downgrade). However that would require the box to work in the first place. But I am not getting a Tv picture nor a menu. Just nothing at all. Unplugged it probably 10x already without any success.

Audio- Video sync issues:
    Flicking quickly back and forth between the terrestrial services might sort this. Its software related.

I don't know of a manual sync jog wheel for the Vestels.

There is one for the box this thread is about: press MENU button -> Setup -. Configuration -> Output Settings - Audio Delay. -
    its selectable between 0 and 400 milliseconds, not sure if the max 400ms is enough.

(Try Menu button and 4726 to see if the engineer mode works and allows tweaking)

Tried it , doesn't work.

There is a service menu available by pressing MENU 2323 but nothing of use there.

Antenna wrote: »
    Audio- Video sync issues:

There is one for the box this thread is about: press MENU button -> Setup -. Configuration -> Output Settings - Audio Delay. -
    its selectable between 0 and 400 milliseconds, not sure if the max 400ms is enough.

I dont have one of these boxes, but I understand the problem. Its software related.

Is the box on the latest firmware ? V3.8. The OTA update runs til 2/9. I am sure there is a bootloader for these if there R232 port on the back (for the chap with it stuck on init).

They normally calibrate boxes with recordings of the broadcasts i.e. the raw TS files that these boxes record. Its usually the only way they can replicate it as they cant receive the stations where the boxes are made.

At least it does have a manual option but that is a short term fix.

Slowing down the audio to 100ms should be noticeable. I presume its the HD channels that the issue is evident or switching from one.

Perhaps ask Walker to have a look at the lip sync. Or report over on the Futaura website who are the Vestel experts. Its a TS7100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I had the same problem with a box I got a couple of weeks ago from Powercity & had to stop the scan midway through as it would just get to a certain point in the 28.2 scan and the box would reset itself, with no channels saved. This happened a couple of times and I just stopped it before the point where it kept happening and it kept the channels it had found up to that point. I see on tvtrade now about a rogue transponder and think that may be what is causing it. http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tonyheg

I have one of these boxes with 3.8 firmware - very satisfied until now. Set it up to record the wife's soaps while we were away for two days. When we returned, on switching on the box there was a screen saying that a number of satellite stations (listed) were no longer valid and did I want to delete them. I cleared that and found that none of the recordings had been done. We were not a happy bunny.
    It looks like the box won't do anything after an update until the resulting screen is dealt with by the user. This makes scheduling recordings unreliable if you are not there to check the box every morning. Does anybody know a way to disable updating on a temporary basis. I'm hoping there is a hidden menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I bought a couple of these for my mam and upgraded to firmware v3.8 via usb

Everytime I go to the house now, she says that the box keeps freezing and she has to pull the plug to get it back on again. She says it might happen 2 or 3 times in an evening. I have a feeling it might be because she is flicking through the remote too quickly and have told her to slow down with it but the last time I was there, she says it happened even with going through menu's slowly

Anyone ever seen this or know a fix?

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »
    I bought a couple of these for my mam and upgraded to firmware v3.8 via usb

Everytime I go to the house now, she says that the box keeps freezing and she has to pull the plug to get it back on again. She says it might happen 2 or 3 times in an evening. I have a feeling it might be because she is flicking through the remote too quickly and have told her to slow down with it but the last time I was there, she says it happened even with going through menu's slowly

Anyone ever seen this or know a fix?

Are they using this box for recording?

I find on my box it freezes a lot when I use EPG to record. So to avoid freezing I set up timers instead and that seems to work well.

Advertisement