Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Pull Up Bar

• 13-08-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Anyone any ideas on how to put together a cheap DIY wall mounted pull up bar and wall mounted dip bar for an exterior wall in my back yard?

I know I could buy one but money's tight so looking for something solid but dirt cheap. Where would I buy the materials - I presume a bracket and some pipe but just need a bit of advice on how to go about it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Have you got access to a welding machine , if so you could make anything out of unistrut and gb pipe , if its going to be outside make sure its treated against the elements or it will rot in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

sullzz wrote: »
    Have you got access to a welding machine , if so you could make anything out of unistrut and gb pipe , if its going to be outside make sure its treated against the elements or it will rot in no time

Ah, no welding machine I'm afraid. Not too worried about the elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdYtSsUB2o

Where would I buy steel pipe, extensions, elbows and phalanges?

Woodies?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They look like gun barrel or iron heating pipes and fittings

http://www.dalys.ie/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=58

http://www.gasproducts.ie/acatalog/Galavanised_Malleable_Iron_Pipe_Fittings.html

so your best bet would be a pluming shop, I have also used that sort of piping for heating glasshouses but had to hire a tread cutter to do the ends.
    A good metal shop should be able to weld you up something for a few quid just bring a drawing with the size you want, it may even work out cheeper than buying the fittings :D
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Pull ups & dips are some of my favourite exercises to perform, just did my back workout at lunch time and started off with wide grip pull ups, just feels a lot better than lat pull downs etc. I know I'm deviating slightly from the original question of making your own pull up bar but a mate of mine has literally just launched a pull up bar for inside use with attaching bars for doing dips. His name is Mick Kehoe, he got Ken Shamrock (UFC, the most dangerous man in the world) involved and launched it on Sunday with some TV adds etc.. it's called the Shamrock Triple Gym. Here's a link to the website... might be worth a look. http://174.132.194.111/

karlitob wrote: »
    Ah, no welding machine I'm afraid. Not too worried about the elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdYtSsUB2o

Where would I buy steel pipe, extensions, elbows and phalanges?

Woodies?

You deffo wont get the flanges in woodies , even a lot of plumbing providers wouldnt stock them , your best bet would be hevac or bss , also you would need to thread the pipe as i dont think you can buy pieces of gb 4ft long threaded at both ends , it could get expensive when it all adds up. Check out adverts.ie i think there is somebody on it that makes them.

• Advertisement

You deffo wont get the flanges in woodies , even a lot of plumbing providers wouldnt stock them , your best bet would be hevac or bss , also you would need to thread the pipe as i dont think you can buy pieces of gb 4ft long threaded at both ends , it could get expensive when it all adds up. Check out adverts.ie i think there is somebody on it that makes them.

Maybe I'm being a bit naive. Perhaps buying the pull up bar and dips bar might be cheaper.

I was just hoping to save a few bob, put it together myself and have the rough and tumble look to it

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

You can buy a pull up bar for your door for nothin compared to buying material etc. Two cars on a no slip surface and you can do dips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Two cars on a no slip surface and you can do dips.

Does it have to be a certain make and model of car or can any type do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Chairs sorry!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

insebayguy wrote: »
    Pull ups & dips are some of my favourite exercises to perform, just did my back workout at lunch time and started off with wide grip pull ups, just feels a lot better than lat pull downs etc. I know I'm deviating slightly from the original question of making your own pull up bar but a mate of mine has literally just launched a pull up bar for inside use with attaching bars for doing dips. His name is Mick Kehoe, he got Ken Shamrock (UFC, the most dangerous man in the world) involved and launched it on Sunday with some TV adds etc.. it's called the Shamrock Triple Gym. Here's a link to the website... might be worth a look. http://174.132.194.111/

Fair play to him, didn't know if this was a shill when i read it but it I don't think it is. Good to see an Irish guy make something and promote it. Is there an easier way to order it for Ireland?

Not that I'm aware of.
    I'll ask him tomorrow and let you know. Cheers.

Just got off the phone to Mick there, It's not available here YET but will be around the end of November. There's a container load of them ready to leave China around Sept 15th and he'll launch it here and in the UK, then off to conquer Australia. Doing well so far in the States and can still be ordered on the number on the clip if needed :)

Thanks for that. Do you reckon its just cheaper to buy this rather than going to the effort of building one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

theres plenty of ole (tube type) TV hangers going in the bin these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cool hand luke

insebayguy wrote: »
    Just got off the phone to Mick there, It's not available here YET but will be around the end of November. There's a container load of them ready to leave China around Sept 15th and he'll launch it here and in the UK, then off to conquer Australia. Doing well so far in the States and can still be ordered on the number on the clip if needed :)

Hey did your mate get in any of these bars they look quality?

How much will he be selling them at?

Last question is this the same Mick from Irish-lifting near Camden street?

Hi,
    Yeah, that's the same Mick.
    I don't know if he got them in yet, don't think so to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Keep us posted anyway when they do come in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Advertisement