Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Tattoo

• 28-03-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo on my foot but I'm finding it very hard to get ideas. Most of the pics I've found are of stars or flowers but that's not what I'm after. I'd love to get a leopard (funky outline) but again, really hard to find a design that would suit the foot. Any ideas??

Also, I asked a tattoo artist and they said that foot tattoos can smudge if you're not careful for a good while after you get it done...I'm wondering if it would be best to get it done in the summer?? (Flip flops ahoy!) :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo on my foot but I'm finding it very hard to get ideas. Most of the pics I've found are of stars or flowers but that's not what I'm after. I'd love to get a leopard (funky outline) but again, really hard to find a design that would suit the foot. Any ideas??

Also, I asked a tattoo artist and they said that foot tattoos can smudge if you're not careful for a good while after you get it done...I'm wondering if it would be best to get it done in the summer?? (Flip flops ahoy!) :p
    type in Foot Tattoo on google theres loads of images.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 roybob

Hey matey, I got one done and it hasnt smudged but there is a colour difference between my lower foot and heel, I got a tribal thingy wrapped round my ankle and continuing down to just where my big toe starts, looks well cool with the flip flops and board shorts. I had a little idea what I wanted so went to tattooist and he done the rest, any good artist should be able do the same. some areas of the foot will not take the ink aswell as others aswell. hope that helps somewhat?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The foots a really hard place for the ink to hold especially closer to the sole--it also hurts a lot more aswell.
    Foot tattoos are more prone to infection being closer to the ground aswell.

Id say wait till summer--that way you can wear flipflops/whatever to let more air at it for healing.
    I wouldnt say a fresly inked foot tattoo would heal well covered up by thick sock and a pair of boots/shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

better to wait til summer, i know i am before i go near my foot again. be careful of the danger zones on feet. where blisters ect happen. the top of the feet at a good place. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just to re-iterate what the people before me have said, your tattoo will bleed and fade considerably more when it's closer to the sole of your foot/your heel, as the skin there is different, and replaces itself much quicker, also due to the larger quantities of sweat that pass through that part of your foot, and the friction that they experience.

[edit]
    Also it probably is the best idea to wait till summer, so you can wear sandals/flip flops etc...
    [/edit]

I like the design idea of the "funky" leopard outline, think that could look great as a foot tattoo.

One of the best tattoos I saw before though was a leg/foot one, with Calvin + Hobbes...
    bmegl145738rp5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

My foot one (stars actually, lol) faded something terrible. I didn't realise it'd be so hard to keep right, though I think the guy who did the tattoo had a lot to do with it! :rolleyes: Good luck finding a design ;)

(by the way, it seemed to take far longer to heal than other tattoos)

Just to re-iterate what the people before me have said, your tattoo will bleed and fade considerably more when it's closer to the sole of your foot/your heel, as the skin there is different, and replaces itself much quicker, also due to the larger quantities of sweat that pass through that part of your foot, and the friction that they experience.

[edit]
    Also it probably is the best idea to wait till summer, so you can wear sandals/flip flops etc...
    [/edit]

I like the design idea of the "funky" leopard outline, think that could look great as a foot tattoo.

One of the best tattoos I saw before though was a leg/foot one, with Calvin + Hobbes...
    bmegl145738rp5.jpg
    ye got lovely legs damo poor old charlie getting ate by the tiger lol:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

o_O charlie?

and yep, i have my lower leg/foot done, and not only did it hurt more getting done the further to the foot it got, but it was a bitch to heal. admittedly i did it in winter and wasnt living an entirely healthy lifestyle at hte time... but it did take a long time to heal, and it was several weeks before the scabbing had entirely gone... i didnt even experience scabbing on my other tattoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Something-Wkd

Eeeekk! Where to go from here eh? I keep hearing off people that the foot is a really sore/awkward place to get a tat but I'm not of the breed that likes tats to be really obvious.

I have some funky ideas for a tat around my ankle but I think I might have issues with it as I got older. (Could you imagine being in a serious business negotiation and seeing a nice buisness suit...respectable shoes...Mad ankle tattoo!!)

well i've one on my hip that is virtually invisible unless im showing it to you.

and dont let the concept of pain throw you off. it'll last barely a fraction of the total amount of time you'll have the tattoo. and i've seen a lot of women wear skirts and have small (say, up to 3inch diameter) tattoos on their ankles.

if you want it, go for it. simple as, it'll be there for life. the pain in comparison is fleeting at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

[edit]
    [/edit]

bmegl145738rp5.jpg

I'd never usually do this.. but......

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGOMGOGMG
    I FCUCKING LOVE CALVIN AND HOBBS!!!!! :D:D

sorry!
    really i am! >.<

but to the point in hand, the whole having the fresh tattoo out to the open air would good, so sandles are a yes yes and as far as i know, the sun/heat is goot for healing too! (skatboarder knowlage)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The sun's not really good for tattoos at all. It's good for the skin (in moderation) but it's not good for the ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

here my little gecko....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

The one on my foot is perfect and I have it about 5 years now, its a swirly tribal thingy in black, just on my right foot - nice and curvy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mel123

sam_mom1 wrote: »
    here my little gecko....

So how sore was that to get done, its exactly where i want to get mine done?
    Im worried now about what people have said about the ink not taking properly on the foot

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

mel123 wrote: »
    Im worried now about what people have said about the ink not taking properly on the foot

I got a tattoo on my foot yesterday. foookin killer it was. I have 5 other tattoo's and this was, without a doubt, the sorest!!!!!

mel123 wrote: »

honestly i didnt think it was that sore... no sorer than getting your legs waxed anyhow.... just pick something on the wall in front of you, concentrate and remember, its not goin to hurt in a few seconds......

ChewChew wrote: »
    I got a tattoo on my foot yesterday. foookin killer it was. I have 5 other tattoo's and this was, without a doubt, the sorest!!!!!

where else have you got them??? and what did you get on your foot?

sam_mom1 wrote: »
    where else have you got them??? and what did you get on your foot?

Both wrists, upper left arm, Between my shoulder blades and my lower back, and here is what I got on my foot

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56269021&postcount=2184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I got one on my foot and i dont think it was to bad to get done and it healed pretty well.

• Advertisement

marti101 wrote: »
    I got one on my foot and i dont think it was to bad to get done and it healed pretty well.

Oh my god. Mine was a killer. OUCH!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Found this on google and thought it was class...

Found this on google and thought it was class...

Thats hilarious, Katie!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I think everybody has a different threshhold for pain and when your told its going to hurt more you go in expecting more pain.Its not that it hurts more it just hurts diferent.t is a lovely tattoo ChewChew

another foot tattoo:eek:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That guy has really long toes:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Catmanuel

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo on my foot for a while now, I'm a tattoo virgin :p, just in front of my toes.

The thing is I can't find a design I like, ideally I'd like something a bit like this except simplified and reasonably small:

sleeping cat.jpg

CurledUpCat.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not great at drawing so I haven't been able to work out exactly what I want! If I take a few images into the tattoo artist would they help me out?

yep, they should help you out. the more images you can bring, the more ideas, and the more htey should be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

hello folk! came across this forum and thought i could barge in :). i'm thinking of getting snoopy on my foot, probably just above my big toe, over the foot knuckle. But all this talk of smudging and infections has me worried, would it really smudge? + would above yr foot knuckle be an incredibly sore/smudgey/infecty place to get it?

actually while i'm here, is the bone the painful part to get done? ive one on the back of my neck which hurt not at all (i actually asked the guy to let me know when he started, and he was halfway done) while my bro's on his upper arm hurt like a mo-fo. cos it's all fleshy, i guess? os it fleshy or boney that hurts more, or am i more impervious to pain?:cool:

xxx

Advertisement