Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon Airport synoptic weather station siting

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

My tuppence would be that watching Shannon in the 2013 and 2018 warm spells (in particular) it does "hang on" to heat in the evening differently from other stations. Equally maybe that's just the micro climate in east Clare? Certainly there appear to be issues for met.ie to consider though.

Anyone able to show sites of Dublin and Cork airport stations just for comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The 30 degrees is from 050 to 080 degrees. The spike occured around the 080 time.

Nope, that's a very strange thing to say. The shift of 30° occured over an hour, from 1500Z to 1600Z, the shift was only of 10° between 1530Z to 1600Z, and a shift of 10° as reported on metars could Infact only be a shift of 2/3°.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Nope, that's a very strange thing to say. The shift of 30° occured over an hour, from 1500Z to 1600Z, the shift was only of 10° between 1530Z to 1600Z, and a shift of 10° as reported on metars could Infact only be a shift of 2/3°.

The anemometer is around 1 mile away from the screen, so it may not accurately reflect the exact wind at the screen area. What's fairly obvious is marked spikes and dips in temperature throughout the day, despite the fact that skies were clear throughout. This doesn't happen without some cause, such as subtle windshifts on and off the carpark.

455227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The anemometer is around 1 mile away from the screen, so it may not accurately reflect the exact wind at the screen area. What's fairly obvious is marked spikes and dips in temperature throughout the day, despite the fact that skies were clear throughout. This doesn't happen without some cause, such as subtle windshifts on and off the carpark.

455227.jpg

Can you show me a graph from a better sited Irish weather station without those spikes in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

My tuppence would be that watching Shannon in the 2013 and 2018 warm spells (in particular) it does "hang on" to heat in the evening differently from other stations. Equally maybe that's just the micro climate in east Clare? Certainly there appear to be issues for met.ie to consider though.

Anyone able to show sites of Dublin and Cork airport stations just for comparison?
    The one in Cork is up a steep hill which is always 1-2c cooler than at sea level. Not sure about it's actual location in the Airport.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Can you show me a graph from a better sited Irish weather station without those spikes in them?

I don't have access to these graphs. I took this one from Twitter. You would expect similar spikes at any station on partly cloudy days as the sun comes in and out, but the day in question was wall-to-wall sunshine. Note, however, how smooth the graph is during the night, right up to sunrise, but how the variability starts from mid morning onwards.

rebs23 wrote: »
    The one in Cork is up a steep hill which is always 1-2c cooler than at sea level. Not sure about it's actual location in the Airport.

It's beside the road, just at the entrance to the airport. All the stations can be seen in this thread that I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I would imagine that little 'heat spikes' are not all that uncommon on warm days. Very often, we see the final maxes at stations being higher than any of the hourly reports would suggest. A similar trait seems to occur with low maxes as well, especially in winter.

New Moon

So, I was in Eason in Liffey Valley today, flicking through a book of old aerial images of Ireland, when I opened the page below. Shannon Airport in 1951, showing the weather station in its original location, to the west of the airport. That area is fully built up and concreted by now, and the current station is probably off the right edge of the photo.

456938.jpg

Here's the station outlined in a photo that was posted earlier in this thread.

456945.jpg

Advertisement