Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calls for State to build Mosque in Roscommon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That castle is just a shell with a poxy park built around it.
    Come to think of it, feck them into the shell it will feel like home, only colder and wetter.
    give them a rug out of Des Kelly's and they are sorted.

Everytime I drive through Roscommon I think "This is hell".

I remember seeing housing developments being built in Tulsk. And I kept thinking "Who'd live there?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Sure let him call for a mosque all he wants, it's not like anyone will actually listen to him. Twat.

You don't think someone like the AAA / PBP will pick up on this and make hay with it? You have far more faith in humanity that I do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Attention seeking stunt by that Pakistani lad in Longford.

There is a Mosque in Ballyhaunis, and I'm sure some of the congregation would organize transport.
    But that's not even necessary either. Here in Cavan town a private house beside the hospital is rented and used as a Mosque/school/drop in centre. Has been for at least a decade. Landlord (Irish lad) is delighted with the set up. :D
    They have recently received some funds from abroad and bought a building from the receivers for use as a cultural centre and mosque, but its slow going as it seems to be worked on by the congregation themselves on a voluntary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope his views aren't being taken out of context. I haven't heard much from this man but maybe he's afraid of young syrian lads turning up and finding themselves with nothing to do and alienated from a local community. Maybe he's just trying to get relative services there so that they don't feel unwanted or excluded and developing a dislike for Ireland.

You can't really just dump a load of refugees in a small Irish town and just walk away, it's going to be a massive culture shock for them and they'd be a bit lost if they hadn't some familiarity to break them in.

I expect refugees to not take against a country or become radicalised out of boredom. You're almost implying it's a natural tendency that needs to be redirected and curtailed. I don't believe it is, and I think it's slightly bigoted. I'll give them more credit than that and hold them to the same standards I hold everyone else. I haven't seen anything to suggest they are ungrateful.
    __Alex__ wrote: »
    There's a mosque very nearby in Ballyhaunis!

Well, then. Good.

Grayson wrote: »
    Everytime I drive through Roscommon I think "This is hell".

I remember seeing housing developments being built in Tulsk. And I kept thinking "Who'd live there?".

I was only there once but it seemed like the dreariest, dampiest place I've ever seen. Maybe I just didn't see the better parts of Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was only there once but it seemed like the dreariest, dampiest place I've ever seen. Maybe I just didn't see the better parts of Roscommon.

On a sunny day this is lovely.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lough_Key_Forest_Park

But as a whole the county is pretty boring. There's feck all to do there.
    I do feel a bit sorry for the refugees. Unless they have cars or travel passes then they're effectively stuck in a small town in the middle of nowhere. It must be stupidly boring. I say this as a former culchie myself.
    Having said that, I'd imagine they prefer safe & warm to being in Syria or stuck in some of those refugee camps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

If i was running away from certain death and suffering i think a nice quiet rural area where I'm safe and have food and a nice place to sleep would be brilliant.

If on the other hand I'm actually an economic migrant pretending to be a refugee who expects every demand met then maybe i might be whinging about boredom, I'm sure tho that's not the case at all with any of them :rolleyes:

If i was running away from certain death and suffering i think a nice quiet rural area where I'm safe and have food and a nice place to sleep would be brilliant.

If on the other hand I'm actually an economic migrant pretending to be a refugee who expects every demand met then maybe i might be whinging about boredom, I'm sure tho that's not the case at all with any of them :rolleyes:

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We're more than capable of helping them, I didn't intend that to be used as an excuse to renege on our commitments.

I'm just saying, rather than demonize this guy for making some suggestions it might be better to hear him out as he has more experience with that culture than we do.

He can make all the suggestions he wants if he pays for them himself but he can fook right off if he thinks taxpayers should foot the bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

How come they won't ship all Dublin's homeless to Roscommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yeah. This is Ireland where we pay for the catholic church to run schools and hospitals. We pay for primary school kids to get a catholic education and prevent women from receiving health care because of our catholic ways. When the church is found guilty of abuse the state actually pays the damages.

get da fcuk out of here with your conspiracy theories. What's being asked for here is no more than the church has in this country. Sure it's wrong for the state to subsidise any religion but to complain about ONE Muslim asking for **** when we have given billions to the church is a bit hypocritical. Especially since we continue to subsidise the catholic church.
    The guy who's asking for this is one bloke. It's not the whole muslim population of Ireland.

This story is nothing more than fodder for islamaphobes and people who read the Irish Daily Mail.

Peoples fear of Islam is entirely justified, and it is not an irrational fear. Islam once it puts down firm roots anywhere starts going bat$hit crazy. No religion/cult should have taxpayer money funneled into it. Fuq them all. That goes for the RCC too, they are all pure poison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

fiachr_a wrote: »
    How come they won't ship all Dublin's homeless to Roscommon?

Because many long term unemployed people won't move more than a few streets away from their mammies/cousins/siblings.
    Others move to where work is, be it Cork, Galway, Canada or New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wait until the boyos from Calais arrive, that's when the craic will start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

taylor3 wrote: »
    Yeah I live in Roscommon (not Ballaghadereen) and have to say from the get go I thought what on earth will these people do in a town like Ballaghadereen with respect to that town there is not much going on there. I think things like the poor Broadband and lack of public transport will be headwrecking enough for them. Lacking a mosque in town probably wont be the only thing that'll piss then off.

Hmmm Ballaghadereen vs Assad/ISIS/Russians/USA

Tricky one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Wait until the boyos from Calais arrive, that's when the craic will start.

Shur if they don't get their own way they will torch the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

All has become clear, they are going to Roscommon is so they will feel more at home, the reason for this, is the result of a government survey that found the weather in Roscommon was either Sunni or Shiite. This means Roscommon can cater to most islamists.

I hope his views aren't being taken out of context. I haven't heard much from this man but maybe he's afraid of young syrian lads turning up and finding themselves with nothing to do and alienated from a local community. Maybe he's just trying to get relative services there so that they don't feel unwanted or excluded and developing a dislike for Ireland.

You can't really just dump a load of refugees in a small Irish town and just walk away, it's going to be a massive culture shock for them and they'd be a bit lost if they hadn't some familiarity to break them in.

There will be enough cash in hand jobs knocking around come the summer. Footing turf, painting etc. No doubt as a business man, he will find them work, even if it is illegal to work. Anyway, it is suppose to be temporary (though I fear that temporary is 3-4 years , judging by current situation)

Can anyone confirm if these people have to go through an Asylum application or are they already considered as Declared Refugees (bearing in mind, it is pretty obvious that Syrians ARE candidates for refugee status) If it is the former, well, they can't work anyway until they get processed.

The man is in Longford, so, he will have a solid idea of what life is like for many Muslims in the the Connacht and Longford region. He knows both Ballaghderren and Ballyhaunis (and he is right on what he said) because they were areas previously known for Halal factories.

He stated his problems about lack of jobs, which, is a fair enough concern. He never mentioned that it was hell for other Pakistan nationals ,who worked in the factory , because they had no place to pray. Just mentioned lack of jobs. How would a Mosque (which is only 15 minutes away) alleviate their poverty and lack of jobs?

He called for State funds to fund a Mosque. Shouldn't he be more concerned about access to jobs instead?

Chancing his arm and using this event to push his own agenda

"get relative services there so that they don't feel unwanted or excluded and developing a dislike for Ireland."

While the Church was always important for the Irish in America and Oz to get themselves into the American / Oz community, the Mosques around Europe haven't really been that great with getting their people integrated into their host countries. (No excuse for preventing Mosques btw, just let them pay for it themselves)

We're more than capable of helping them, I didn't intend that to be used as an excuse to renege on our commitments.

I'm just saying, rather than demonize this guy for making some suggestions it might be better to hear him out as he has more experience with that culture than we do.

Ballyhaunis is 15 minutes away. It would not cost the hostel or State that much money to offer a transport service to the Mosque each Friday

Nothing stopping this lad heading off to any one of a dozen Muslim counties that I'm sure would be glad to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭gw80

Lt Dan wrote: »
    There will be enough cash in hand jobs knocking around come the summer. Footing turf, painting etc. No doubt as a business man, he will find them work, even if it is illegal to work. Anyway, it is suppose to be temporary (though I fear that temporary is 3-4 years , judging by current situation)

Can anyone confirm if these people have to go through an Asylum application or are they already considered as Declared Refugees (bearing in mind, it is pretty obvious that Syrians ARE candidates for refugee status) If it is the former, well, they can't work anyway until they get processed.

The man is in Longford, so, he will have a solid idea of what life is like for many Muslims in the the Connacht and Longford region. He knows both Ballaghderren and Ballyhaunis (and he is right on what he said) because they were areas previously known for Halal factories.

He stated his problems about lack of jobs, which, is a fair enough concern. He never mentioned that it was hell for other Pakistan nationals ,who worked in the factory , because they had no place to pray. Just mentioned lack of jobs. How would a Mosque (which is only 15 minutes away) alleviate their poverty and lack of jobs?

He called for State funds to fund a Mosque. Shouldn't he be more concerned about access to jobs instead?

Chancing his arm and using this event to push his own agenda

"get relative services there so that they don't feel unwanted or excluded and developing a dislike for Ireland."

While the Church was always important for the Irish in America and Oz to get themselves into the American / Oz community, the Mosques around Europe haven't really been that great with getting their people integrated into their host countries. (No excuse for preventing Mosques btw, just let them pay for it themselves)
    "There will be enough cash in hand jobs this summer"?😲

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Oi! Careful now! My granny comes from Ballaghaderreen.

It's my local town.

• Advertisement

Yeah. This is Ireland where we pay for the catholic church to run schools and hospitals. We pay for primary school kids to get a catholic education

Yeah yeah. Ruairi Quinn called on the people to discuss getting rid of Catholic Run Schools. It did not really work.

You are going to struggle to find Catholic dogma still being taught in most schools
    and prevent women from receiving health care because of our catholic ways.

As in abortion? In Ireland Catholics ain't the only ones who oppose abortion in all cases.
    When the church is found guilty of abuse the state actually pays the damages.

The State failed to investigate allegations that had been made years ago. The State entrusted their role to the Church because the State was unable and unwilling to do their jobs eg provide State Run Hospitals, Schools, and Orphanages

get da fcuk out of here with your conspiracy theories. What's being asked for here is no more than the church has in this country.

Last time I checked , several churches have needed renovation. The renovations were self funded . No State Grants. No State funds were sought for building of churches either, many of whom are older than this State.
    Sure it's wrong for the state to subsidise any religion but to complain about ONE Muslim asking for **** when we have given billions to the church is a bit hypocritical.

You can start by noting that Islam is an enemy of the Western World, or their teachings are at odds with the Western World, or , again, State do not fund the Catholic Church in Ireland.

This story is nothing more than fodder for islamaphobes and people who read the Irish Daily Mail.

The article was from The Irish Times

gw80 wrote: »
    "There will be enough cash in hand jobs this summer"?😲

😲 ?

I do not speak that language , you will have to ask that question again

Secondly, if you going to bother to quote me, at least do it correctly and not behave in such a dishonest manner

The full quote was

"There will be enough cash in hand jobs knocking around come the summer. Footing turf, painting etc. "

Ah, I think I see what tickled your funny bone. Sad! Lol

I was reading about muslim refugees in the US. Most get the use of a community centre for an afternoon to use as a mosque. I'd imagine that's what happening in roscommon (although it's more likely to be a GAA club there :D ). They probably all pile into some room somewhere and have prayers and then a community meeting.
    The guy who's asking for a dedicated facility to be built is just a windbag.

GAA Clubs are de facto Community Centers in many rural Irish towns . Why do you feel the need to snigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

blood boiling stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭gw80

😲 ?

I do not speak that language , you will have to ask that question again
    Na **** that, you will have to tell me more about these summer hand jobs,
    Why the summer?
    Who,s administering these handjobs?
    Is it a local tradition, like a annual summer handjob festival?

In fairness, the Syrians are legitimate Refugees. Unless of course, they were members of Assad's death gang they will likely have no problem proving that they are refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JPCN1

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    A Longford based Pakistani business man has called for the government to build a mosque in Roscommon, for the newly arrived Syrians. He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them, and that they are being discriminated against, etc.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/calls-for-roscommon-council-to-build-mosque-1.3017962
    Fcuk that nonsense, I say. Let him put his money where his big mouth is and fund one himself. He might take the time to acquaint himself with our culture and laws. This isn't some Islamic dominated dump, rooted in the Middle Ages, which funds mosques, or any other type of religious building.
    The day after the Saudis and Qataris fund and build a couple of Cathedrals we'll give it a wee bit of consideration...
    B

gw80 wrote: »
    Na **** that, you will have to tell me more about these summer hand jobs,
    Why the summer?
    Who,s administering these handjobs?
    Is it a local tradition, like a annual summer handjob festival?

Wash your mouth ya filthy pup you :rolleyes:

Cash in hand. Labour jobs where cash will be paid instead of the usual PAYE pay into the account . Locals have no time for that paper work lark

Footing turf, painting etc, farm work or, wait for it, (try not to explode) sheep shearing ;)

You really think all those lads from Pakistan ,Chinese, Afghanistan, India etc working in the rural chip shops or convenience stores have legal status to work? Some do, but not all!

Plenty of chancers will be only too happy to get some cheap labour and there won't be any immigration officers looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

When did the Pakistani National become spokesperson for Syrians, and when did he remotely care about them? Some people reek of agenda setting and will jump on any bandwagon

12,000 Muslims in the Midlands? :eek:

This hostel in Ballaghdeeran has not been popular because there had been genuine hope that the hotel which will not act like a hostel was going to open up again and bring in jobs. Talk about really wanting to wind up the locals

"The town is like a desert. There’s no activity there,no business there,"

1. The purpose of Asylum is NOT so Ahmed can get a job, but to offer shelter from persecution

2. Well, so is Longford , yet, that never stopped the Pakistan national, who more that likely, at some point, came to Ireland as a "asylum seeker" or "student" and who got "married" or fathered a child in order to get permanent legal status

3. Beggars can't be choosers

A prayer center could EASILY be prepared in the new hostel and even get one of the Irish Mosque leaders to give it a blessing. Would be a lovely day, have some thay and cake ready for them all and give them a big Roscommon welcome (or Mayo)

No doubt the man from Longford will be more than delighted to help out

And a few free gargles!

• Advertisement

And a few free gargles!

Hang sandwiches?

Would the gargle and ham be against some Muslim traditions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement