Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the best Santa in ireland...

• 19-11-2007 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Are you going to bring your child to santa and where will it be to and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Sorry,
    Slightly off topic, but I was just thinking about this at the weekend.
    All the santas grottos there are these days, & all the colour & sparkle & magic they put into them, the children are really lucky. The parents not so much I guess, but I was thinking back to when we got to visit santa.

The only one in town was in the Wellworths shop.
    At the very back of the shop there was a door to the storeroom. Beside the door was a hand written white sign written in red marker saying santa. No tinsel in sight.
    Just inside this door was a man sitting on a stool in a red outfit. A black curtain hid the storeroom.
    You sat on his knee, you told him what you wanted for christmas, he gave you a toy & you left.

What in the world would a child think nowadays if you brought them somewhere like that!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I don't know what Santa we'll go to, I only know we won't be going until at least the 8th Dec. It's far too early yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

We went to the lego one in arnots (was the best santa ever till it went away...) last year we went to arnotts again and there was no gift(i liked this idea and it made sense to my kid) but he was great real beard and all that...

we go around the 18-20th every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Sorry,
    ... Beside the door was a hand written white sign written in red marker saying santa. No tinsel in sight.
    Just inside this door was a man sitting on a stool in a red outfit. A black curtain hid the storeroom.
    You sat on his knee, you told him what you wanted for christmas, he gave you a toy & you left. :D

LOL!!! :D What a very funny (and accurate) account of Santa visits for me too!!
    We always went to visit Santa at Shaws in Waterford...the pics are still to be found at home :o

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bogman44

I remember going to Shaws in Waterford too. Long, long time ago.

They had a great santa just outside dundalk last year (i think he'll be back this year also). Twenty quid per child (they didn't charge us for our one year old though) For that you got a trip on a santa sleigh, story read by one of santa's helpers, we wrote a santa letter and posted it, a present and they had a farm with reindeer.
    The Santa was the most authentic i'd ever seen. He was in really old outhouse with a real fire and a rocking chair, a bed and a few kittens. The kids were captivated. So was i.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember the huge queues for Arnotts santa as a kid:)
    We are going to santas house in Rostrevor this year,she will be nearly 2 but will love the magic as will I and daddy and grandparents) It is going to be a family affair! 1 set on inlaws for santy visit and 1 set for christmas:)
    Also baba 2 is due in January so want it extra special for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I could well be wrong but the Santa in Arnotts comes from the Blanchardstown area.

Again I could be way off the mark but I remember seeing the kids on the bus going to school or town seeing him on the bus with a real full white beard jst before Christmas with eyes wide and chins on the ground.

For us a trip to Santa in the B Centre, nice display decent pressie and most importantly a great Santa

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Haven't been to it yet but this is where we're taking my nephew this year, looks amazing and came highly recommended. I particularly like that Santa is "green". :)

Belvedere House - Green Santa
    Green Santa will arrive at Belvedere House at 11am on Sunday 28th November by boat across Lough Ennell and will proceed to his magical grotto beyond the Wardrobe in the frozen land of Narnia. Children will enter through the enchanted Wardrobe in the indoor courtyard and travel through Narnia to visit Green Santa in his grotto where a replica of The Dawn Treader ship awaits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 greenleaves

We are going to Santa's Wonderland in Dundalk, the one at the Ballymac roundabout, in the Strandfield Cafe grounds
    its really magical....really for Everyone,
    They have a Thomas the tank that takes you to the woods , they have Rudolf...a story in a log cabin.....Santa in his little house, with a big open fire

we really cound get over it , it really was so Christmassie and a real treat and day out for the whole family!

we are going back this year with our nieces and nephews ... cant wait to see there faces

Number and email details ...have a great time
    visit.santa@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

The best one ive been to is breakfast with santa in the hard rock cafe you got a big fry as many muffines and other cakes as you wanted tea coffe cerail etc while you were eating santa went around the tables and sat down at the table and had a chat for a few min's then after breakfast the kids went over to this other area and got to tell santa want they wanted and got a toy and you could take your own pic's or get them to take one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

We will have one come to our toddler group, same guy does about 4 events in the village so the kids think he is the real thing, he is great, he sits at the top of the room and lets the children come to him as much or a little as they want and he stays to the end of the party even after all the children have seen him. We supply a small gift for each child and they are thrilled to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

We are going up to the DSPCA again this year.

This will be our 3rd year in a row going. And we loved it each other year we went. The kids all went into an outhouse - where Santa's helpers read them a lovely story about Santa and the animals up at the shelter. They got to meet the shelter dog - Buster - and hear about his adventures.

Then Santa came out to meet them all. They all queued up and got a wee gift, and a photo opurtunity, and a small chat with the main man.

All in the lovely warmth and comfort - no long queues for us mammies and daddies!

Its a great place to wander around and you get to meet all the animals. There was food available, a nice coffee shop and gift shop.

Well worth it. And for all five of our family to go has cost us 34 euro this year. Its only a token charge for adults of 5 euro, which I love - and you feel like your doing some good while your at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I could well be wrong but the Santa in Arnotts comes from the Blanchardstown area.

Again I could be way off the mark but I remember seeing the kids on the bus going to school or town seeing him on the bus with a real full white beard jst before Christmas with eyes wide and chins on the ground.

For us a trip to Santa in the B Centre, nice display decent pressie and most importantly a great Santa

R

I remember it 20+years ago:) so probably a new santa now.
    Remember the Switzers window? and cheeky charlies (dunno if anyone not from Dublin will know what they are)

I am amazed at all these wonderful wonderlands,I remember about 10 years ago one in Goghs that I brought my younger cousin too but didn't know so many had appeared since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We are going up to the DSPCA again this year.

This will be our 3rd year in a row going. And we loved it each other year we went. The kids all went into an outhouse - where Santa's helpers read them a lovely story about Santa and the animals up at the shelter. They got to meet the shelter dog - Buster - and hear about his adventures.

Then Santa came out to meet them all. They all queued up and got a wee gift, and a photo opurtunity, and a small chat with the main man.

All in the lovely warmth and comfort - no long queues for us mammies and daddies!

Its a great place to wander around and you get to meet all the animals. There was food available, a nice coffee shop and gift shop.

Well worth it. And for all five of our family to go has cost us 34 euro this year. Its only a token charge for adults of 5 euro, which I love - and you feel like your doing some good while your at it.

Thanks for that , we found this on the web and have booked it for this year too . Now I know what to look forward to !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Sorry,
    Slightly off topic, but I was just thinking about this at the weekend.
    All the santas grottos there are these days, & all the colour & sparkle & magic they put into them, the children are really lucky. The parents not so much I guess, but I was thinking back to when we got to visit santa.

The only one in town was in the Wellworths shop.
    At the very back of the shop there was a door to the storeroom. Beside the door was a hand written white sign written in red marker saying santa. No tinsel in sight.
    You sat on his knee, you told him what you wanted for christmas, he gave you a toy & you left.

What in the world would a child think nowadays if you brought them somewhere like that!!! :D

That sounds awfully like confession.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We always used to go to the Santa in Larchill near Kilcock but theyve stopped for the last few years..

Last year it was Donadea which the kids loved and the Santa was really quite good with them.

So it looks like thats where we`ll be going this year.

Nothing like having a hot bowl of soup with all the christmas lights on,the forest done up with christmassy stuff and the outside fire blazing while the kids run mental after seeing Santa.

Definately recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Will probably be tempted to do more than one ! Kids are 3 and 9 months, best place we've been is the Glendeer Pet Farm just outside Athlone, lots of live animals, very Christmassy. kids get a small of feed for the animals on way in.........
    The Belvedere one looks good too, and may be tempted once i hear reports on the Galway Xmas Market one.... I love Santa !!! (or at least seeing mt little boys face at the visits :))

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I brought my two kids to Ennis on Sunday to the Santa experinece all I can say was fantastic great value, really magical they had a snow globe you could get your pic taken in. My son who is 7 loved the post of and Santa's office a friend told us but they have a website santainennis.com

Advertisement