Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

The_Edge wrote: »
    Jayus, what year is that?
    No sign of the Church

Church was built in 57 seemingly. I wouldnt reckon its much older than that judgin by the cars. Still, great pic actogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Where did you get that one?
    Any more similar?
    (Am from the area, it's amazing to see it before they build the park, church, Kilmore, most of Lorcan, etc.
    What's the house on teh far right of the picture? is it still there?
    (To my mind i'm guessing it's in where the apartments are beside the Beaumont Drive Thru)

I was emailed that photo by a friend some time back as I used to live around the area, unfortunately there is no more like it that i'm aware of. If you look into the distance it interesting to see how lorcan was divided into two before the N1 was built. Also no coolock lane or oscar traynor road just fields and santry woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

coyle wrote: »
    Here's one: A drive around the general Dublin 5 area in 1984. Shoddy quality, but a good view of Artane before the Rec was built, and I had no idea Peats had a branch in Donnycarney?!!

I got excited for this video, but when I turned it on, I barely recognised anything. I know the first part is coming out of Artane onto the Malahide Road, and I recognise the flats at Kilmore. It took me a while to get Northside SC. I recognised the shape of the building and its surroundings, but I can only ever remember it being the manky blue colour that it is now.

I don't really know Artane or Donneycarney that well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ? They're part of a 'set' , for want of a better word , found in my late grandfather's effects . I will post up the full set (13 Civil War , 6 of Collins' funeral) over the next day or so ...

1. I think this is the Gresham Hotel
    CivilWarPics005.jpg

2. Four Courts ?
    CivilWarPics011.jpg

CivilWarPics007.jpg

CivilWarPics002.jpg

CivilWarPics001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

nessyguin wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ? They're part of a 'set' , for want of a better word , found in my late grandfather's effects . I will post up the full set (13 Civil War , 6 of Collins' funeral) over the next day or so ...
    Hya Nessyguin. Thanks for the pics., they are wonderful. If you wish to you could forward the photograph of the Firemen to Martin Thompson of the Fire Service Trust & Irish Fire Service Preservation Group (http://fire-service-trust.com/Dublin-Fire-Brigade-Museum) at thefireservicetrust@yahoo.ie
    I know they will appricate it if it turns out to be one they don't already have a copy of.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lovely photos. I'm sure the Gilbert Library would love copies.
    Just to confirm the location of No.1 is indeed the Gresham.
    71486.jpg

And a few more ....

CivilWarPics015.jpg

CivilWarPics006.jpg

CivilWarPics008.jpg

CivilWarPics009.jpg

CivilWarPics010.jpg

CivilWarPics004.jpg

CivilWarPics019.jpg

CivilWarPics018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

amazing , amazing, amazing photos.

Better than anything I ever seen from this period.

I'd love to make an entrance into the Gresham like the guy with the axe.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

WindSock wrote: »
    ^^ great pics. Makes me sad to see the Rare oul Dublin toimes. It's fastly losing it's charm.
    hs15.jpg

L_Irishtown_c1890-1910_lroy10963.jpg

L_CustomHouse_lcab2.jpg

L_GrattanBridge_NS5456.jpg

Some great pics in the 1911 census archives website http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/waters/index.html

1895 workhouse
    MainPic_Workhouse_NA06-026.jpg

J_Em_GraftonStreet_lroy702.jpg

True. I had some American family over for a week back two weeks ago. They were all hyped to see Dublin and wanted to hear nothing about Cork, West Cork or Kerry. When they got here Dublin wasn't near as nice as they'd pictured. I took them to Cork City, and they didn't want to leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

True. I had some American family over for a week back two weeks ago. They were all hyped to see Dublin and wanted to hear nothing about Cork, West Cork or Kerry. When they got here Dublin wasn't near as nice as they'd pictured. I took them to Cork City, and they didn't want to leave.

Boo, Hiss! Down with that sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ?
    Fantastic pics nessy!

Here are my guesses:

4. Westland Row?

5. Corn Exchange on Burg Quay?

7. Gilbey's Wine Merchants on Upper O'Connell Street.

8. Henry Street (although it looks very narrow).

9/10. North Earl Street/O'Connell Street junction.

11. Dame Street/College Green?

(I don't know where no. 2 is but the pic is very obviously 'posed' for the camera).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Fantastic pics,thanks for showing nessyguin. For number 6 I'd take a guess at parnell square. Remember seeing a pic somewhere of the view from the east side of the square looking down o'connell,and some of the basements weren't covered in. Seeing as most of the pics are in the general location anyway.
    God I'd love to take a step back in time, can you imagine, a stroll around Dublin in the rare oul times.

4.Westland Row ? I never considered this as a possibility but will go digging

5. Corn Exchange . I posted this pic on a different thread in Dublin City forum and Degsy suggested the same . I had ruled it out but that was based on a 1916 picture I came across so maybe I was wrong to discount the possibility . More digging required !

6. Is Mackeys Seeds on Upper O Connell St - these days Gresham Hotel is no.23 so I assume street numbers were reassigned following the reconstruction of Sackville St and the construction of Cathal Brugha St . Given that at the time there was an unbroken terrace between Parnell St and Cathedral St I'd guess that The Block was to the right of Mackeys but am open to correction on this .

7. Gilbey's Wine Merchants on Upper O'Connell Street. It is indeed , but I'm struggling to find it's precise location . 4th buiding to the left of Dublin United Tram offices (white domed building on corner of Cathedral St)

8,9,10,11 . All from the corner of Henry St/Sackville St . 9 and 11 looking north .

2. (and 12) Agree they are posed . But where ??? Have been thinking maybe Jamesons Distillery for 12 but cant find anything online to compare with so it's a stab in the dark .

The ones doing my head in now are 2,3,4,5 and 13 .

Thanks to all for your comments and thanks - I'm as stricken by the pics as the next man !

Michael Collins' Funeral

CivilWarPics012.jpg
    CivilWarPics013.jpg
    CivilWarPics014.jpg
    CivilWarPics016.jpg
    CivilWarPics017.jpg
    CivilWarPics003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

6. Is Mackeys Seeds on Upper O Connell St - these days Gresham Hotel is no.23 so I assume street numbers were reassigned following the reconstruction of Sackville St and the construction of Cathal Brugha St .

Yes I can confim that Mackey's was indeed the shop between the Gresham on the left and Cathal Brugha St to the right. (Though it wasn't Cathal Brugha St then).

It was better known as Sir Walter Mackey's to generations of Dubliners. Indeed at the time we moved from the nearby tenements to our house I bought the first plant for my mother to plant in our garden,in that shop -- it was a Peace rose bush. Mackey's later moved (in the 70s I think) to Henry Street.

Given that at the time there was an unbroken terrace between Parnell St and Cathedral St I'd guess that The Block was to the right of Mackeys but am open to correction on this.

No, it wasn't an unbroken terrace. I know the name of the street/lane that preceeded Cathal Brugha St but it (name) escapes me just now. Here's a small part of a map of 1912 showing the street at the top right of Sackville St.
    mdublin1912-1.jpg

Your photos are classics. A big thank you for sharing them and I hope if you have more you'll continue to share with us.

deswalsh wrote: »
    Thats a particularly interesting photo for me - my Dad grew up in the tenements right beside the church (The buildings known as 'George's Pocket'), and my mum lived there for a couple of years after they married.
    In Jan 1964, they moved out of there just days before I was born - I missed living there by about a week!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this des. But how about this one of George's Pocket? Haven't got a year for it... maybe '50s?

Georgespocket.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks for that Rasher's, that's excellent. Must ask my Dads twin brother if he can spot his house in it!
    (where'd you dig this one up by the way?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rashers wrote: »
    No, it wasn't an unbroken terrace. I know the name of the street/lane that preceeded Cathal Brugha St but it (name) escapes me just now. Here's a small part of a map of 1912 showing the street at the top right of Sackville St.
    mdublin1912-1.jpg
    Gregg's lane -I think it may have been called Findlater place before being changed to Cathal Brugha Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pearly20

Hi all, hope I'm not intruding but am desperately searching for any old images of the Central Fire Station at the junction of Pearse Street/Tara Street, built around 1900. Its for a college project and I'm not having much luck with any of the archives mentioned in this thread...

If anyone has any information, or indeed any advice about websites/reports/publications/people I can access for further details, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Did you ask the Fire Brigade? I'm sure they have an archive somewhere.
    Very surprised the Dublin City Archives would not have had something.

• Advertisement

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this des. But how about this one of George's Pocket? Haven't got a year for it... maybe '50s?
    WB Rashers. Good to see you back on board(s).

Interesting bit of street furniture in that pic of Georges Pocket. Anyone got any idea what that piece of ironwork is on the fence?

EDIT/ After a little chat with one or two members of Public Lights it turns out that the fixture is an old gas lamp holder. There was a law that every 5th or 9th house (or some such figure) was obliged to provide street light. The gas feed for the lamp would have been from the house on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Georgespocket.jpg

These pics are brilliant. My nanny used to live in the pocket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Ive been looking through this thread for the past 3 hours. Brilliant thread and the photos are great. We lived in Sean Mac dermott street for a while.. Where to multi story carpark is now.

Rasher do you remember the Dandy garage at the back of SmcD street ? We then moved to Ballymun. Balcurris gardens and my parents have just moved from there.

Lots of great memories in those photos :)

Georgespocket.jpg

Rashers you scored a big hit with that pic! I showed it to my uncle, my dads brother, and he reckons the lad on the left looks quite like my dad!
    If he's right then there's a very good chance that the figure in the window where the flower boxes are is one of my grandparents, or one of my dads elder siblings.
    My uncle reckons the picture was probably taken about 47-48. The house with the flower boxes is his house, No. 5. The house on the corner is No. 6.
    My uncle tells me the window boxes were painted green and white and re-painted every 2 years without fail.

Any more of those?

deswalsh wrote: »
    Thanks for that Rasher's, that's excellent. Must ask my Dads twin brother if he can spot his house in it!
    (where'd you dig this one up by the way?)

Glad you like the pic des and I hope the house is visible.

If it isn't, I'll keep looking for more old pics of the Pocket and hopefully come up with one showing the old homestead.

I have a big collection of Dublin books, a lot with old photos of various parts of the city. I'm not sure but I might have scanned that pic from one of the books.... (or maybe I swiped it from somewhere on the net.;) )

EDIT:

Just seen your post now Des, we nearly bumped into each other.

I'm glad the photo turned out to be recognisable to your family. Thanks for letting me know... gives me a good feeling.

Now print it out and frame it..... and I'll look for more for you.

Jim

See above Rashers! sorry had to edit the post a little, so you might not have seen it.

spurious wrote: »
    Gregg's lane -I think it may have been called Findlater place before being changed to Cathal Brugha Street.

Findlater Place. That's what me gran used to call Cathal Brugha St.

Carter12 wrote: »
    Rasher do you remember the Dandy garage at the back of SmcD street ?

Do I remember it? I used to play on the wasteground beside it in Waterford St. Remember Mitchel's rosary bead factory next door? The smell sometimes from that factory! But my cousins made a few quid doing homework for them.
    We then moved to Ballymun.

So did we.:)
    Balcurris gardens

Balcurris Road for us, first block after the shopping centre. :)
    and my parents have just moved from there.

We moved out about 20 or so years ago.

pearly20 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope I'm not intruding but am desperately searching for any old images of the Central Fire Station at the junction of Pearse Street/Tara Street, built around 1900. Its for a college project and I'm not having much luck with any of the archives mentioned in this thread...

If anyone has any information, or indeed any advice about websites/reports/publications/people I can access for further details, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Thanks to OldGoat I'm currently in touch with the curator of Dublin Fire Brigade Museum in Marino . I'll PM his email .
    Also www.archiseek.com is worth a look , although you'll need to sign up to view the entire forum .

• Advertisement

Thanks to OldGoat I'm currently in touch with the curator of Dublin Fire Brigade Museum in Marino . I'll PM his email .
    Also www.archiseek.com is worth a look , although you'll need to sign up to view the entire forum .
    I've already PM'ed the info to Pearly20. :)

Advertisement