Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Vinegar Hill Reenactment

• 05-08-2012 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

The cynic in me has been quietened for a while and by all accounts the 1st Battle of Vinegar Hill Reenactment was a great success. In all fairness it could have been better titled "The Skirmish of Vinegar Hill" given that one reenacter represented about 1,000 participants that were present on the 21st June, 1798. That said, it was a great first attempt and from little acorns... The site lends itself to a really big reenactment - perhaps even an annual one? Perhaps then attention could be given to persuading Steven Spielberg to come back to Ireland and make that epic 1798 movie that he once mooted? Something really beneficial could be done for the town and surrounding area provided the project is handled with care. In the meantime here are some pics by 'she who must still be obeyed' enjoy. :D

VH%2B2.jpg
    Father Murphy or is it Bishop Casey?

VH%2B3.jpg

VH%2B4.JPG

VH%2B5.JPG

VH%2B6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the angle of the photo's JD, you must have been standing near me.Well done to all involved today.Not even the rain seemed to dampen people's spirits.

I have imagined a '98 movie several times,would make a great blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

That IS Fr Murphy

As in he's a priest nam ed murphy

Great day out was had by all, I would be in favour of making it an annual thing but in july around the aniversary

Any more closeups of the pikemen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This is the only other shot.

DSCF3042.JPG

Ah ell i'm not in that one either, I had the steel pike and brown hat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What a pity this wasdn't widely advertised. I wonder were all the 1998 pike groups contacted?Would have swolllen the numbers.

No, it was a bit of a clusterfcuk as far as orgsnisation went, they had the redcoats and the cavalry reasonably sorted but it seemed like a case of just see who shows up as far as the pikemen went, I was talking to bill Murray on Saturday and he said that the pikemen organization hadn't been officially approached so it was only a few of us who were willing to change our plans at short notice.
    I only found out about it myself on thursdsy, I had planned to go to the jousting

Still tho let's hope that interest grows and next year we'll be able to muster a decent show

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    No, it was a bit of a clusterfcuk as far as orgsnisation went, they had the redcoats and the cavalry reasonably sorted but it seemed like a case of just see who shows up as far as the pikemen went, I was talking to bill Murray on Saturday and he said that the pikemen organization hadn't been officially approached so it was only a few of us who were willing to change our plans at short notice.
    I only found out about it myself on thursdsy, I had planned to go to the jousting

Still tho let's hope that interest grows and next year we'll be able to muster a decent show

Noticed that myself,many faces missing that would have been there in a heartbeat.
    Facebook is a great tool,plus these newfangled things called phones are useful for contacting people.

Looks like just the Enniscorthy Pikemen were contacted & they told a few contacts,that's the organisers job.

However on the positive side,it was a good spectacle & can get bigger & better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd say most of the pike groups would only be mad for another outing!!2018 is a long way away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

A great day, pity about the rain.
    Well done to all and I found it emotional to hear the singing of Boolavogue by the Pike men and woman at the end.

Thanks to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If they can do it in Massachusetts they can do it in Enniscorthy I say -

http://www.bostoncentral.com/events/patriots_day_lexington_ma_reenactment_battle/p901.php

FRIENDO wrote: »
    A great day, pity about the rain.
    Well done to all and I found it emotional to hear the singing of Boolavogue by the Pike men and woman at the end.

Thanks to all

ah the rain wasnt that bad, at least it got people to stay in ranks for a bit of shelter :)
    the boolavouge thing at the end was fairly much a spur of the moment thing, glad people enjoyed it, it kinda started organicly and I have to say it felt right as we were doing it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

vicwatson wrote: »

http://www.bostoncentral.com/events/patriots_day_lexington_ma_reenactment_battle/p901.php

Hopefully it will grow from strength to strength. The turn out in the market square was poor as the Red Coats and Pikemen marched past. Maybe next year it will be better prepared. All in all it was a brilliant event and much needed.

Only place I heard about it was on boards. Hopefully it builds and it gets better advertised next year

vicwatson wrote: »

A video of the Lexington reenactment,TV stations were even present.

Hopefully next year the organisers will get even more people involved,imagine taking some of the battle to the streets of the town before moving onto the hill.It would make a great spectacle.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »

Hopefully next year the organisers will get even more people involved,imagine taking some of the battle to the streets of the town before moving onto the hill.It would make a great spectacle.

Thats what people thought would happen. I only heard of the Battle from a friend last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Some more photos from Facebook, a relation took them

486637_478394825523952_1943954314_n.jpg

388148_478395432190558_1254997045_n.jpg

385495_478395052190596_1577445656_n.jpg

One of the famous postcards of the battle below:

treasure-671.jpg?w=580&h=400

Charge of the 5th Dragoon Guards on the insurgents – ”a recreant yeoman having deserted to them in uniform is being cut down” – William Sadler (1782-1839)

http://enniscorthytoday.wordpress.com/visitor-attractions/

and the other one:

3557558115_fbb6596217_z.jpg

Two indispensable books for the Vinegar Hill 'enthusiast'.

MUSGRAVE.jpg

Full of actual stats - numbers on each side, weaponry etc. and loads of maps. This 1998 reprint is still available and can be strongly recommended.

http://countywexford.blogspot.ie/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=32

and essential reading for the reenacter:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS54PoeoS29-bJN8J91P88Nvw-NwNLcIOqzOcQy73K6QaS2YcaYTA

And by chance my own copy of "Weather & Warfare" (below) just arrived in the post this morning - it's in the library too. Gives a battle by battle account of how the weather affected the outcome of each engagement. Produced in the style of something like Met Eireann miight put out.

110866609.jpg

Yaaay i'm in one of the photos

• Advertisement

And we did at least try to create a bit of a spectacle on the street, the redcoats were doing a fliogging in the castle so we went down to liberate our brethren, weren't enough of us tho so they ended up with an extra prisoner.

The main thing to remember is that this was a start, we know we're doing it again next year so let the preperations commence

Yeh?

Which one are you? :D:D:D

treasure-671.jpg?w=580&h=400

zerks wrote: »
    A video of the Lexington reenactment,TV stations were even present.

It's a real big deal over yonder. NO reason why it couldn't happen here and be turned into a weekend spectacle.

Have a look on youtube there are loads (mind you they do luv their battle reinactments in USA !) - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battle+reenactment+civil+war+&oq=battle+reinactment&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3.3.0i10l4.18172.24047.0.27641.20.16.1.2.2.0.266.1937.7j6j2.15.0...0.0...1ac.aVBYOWdXob8

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Looks like a great day out. And special mention to whoever was carrying the Union Flag. It would be a braver man than me who'd carry that up the Shannon....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

The Red Coats didn't march up the Shannon, they went out the Oulart road and the United men went up the Shannon.

I'm there too. I'm the one in the long coat loading my musket.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    The Red Coats didn't march up the Shannon, they went out the Oulart road...

Typical. Cowards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Congratulations!

The reenactment has made the front page of the Irish Times website.

http://www.irishtimes.com/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/videoplayer/#video

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Typical. Cowards!

They went for realism & sent 'em out to where the original attack on the rebels came from in '98.

The redcoats got a bit of good natured heckling though & played up to the bad guy role perfectly.

Advertisement