Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Wi-Fi

• 30-11-2005 10:44am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how you can access the wifi in Dublin airport as they seem to have removed the free access now?

On connecting to the network which, which calls itself 'eircom', all you get is a login screen. There is no details on this page that tells you how much it costs or gives you any option of paying them or signing up for the access. I cannot find anything about this from the airports website either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I got the same. There are 3 ways to access it, apparently, although one would think they'd have a link on the login page to explain that!
    1. As an existing eircom BB customer
    2. As an existing eircom customer with no BB
    3. With a prepaid account / scratchcard (supposedly available at every hotspot location)

If you are an exisitng customer check out the HotSpot link on www.eircom.ie .. or more info at www.eircom.net/wireless

I saw no mention of WiFi, other than eircom advertising on the bin (which mentioned there was WiFi .."surf, not scate", but not how to pay for it, or where to get scratchcards), at the airport, but I didn't ask anyone either.

.cg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Still not quite sure how you go about getting a connection to their network.

The www.eircom.net/wireless page seems to just be about eircoms wireless broadband access for 66euro a month + VAT but that then includes hotspot access too.

But I did find some stuff on the eircom.ie site about just access to the hotspots, not linkable though. They say that if you have broadband with eircom then you can subscribe to get access to any of their hotspots for 10euro + VAT a month, or for 25euro + VAT if your not an eircom customer.

It took some searching of their site, but I have finally found the pricing for the non subsctiption access which they claim "is available from reception and comes in the form of a scratchcard":

30 minutes €3.
    1 hour. €5.
    24 hours. €15.
    7 days a week. €30.

Now does anyone know where the "reception" might be in the airport that you can pickup these

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

*shrug* ask at the information desk in the airport..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I was in the airport on Monday morning and tried my laptop with the wireless (It was the first time I ever used it there so was not sure what to expect) - it picked up the Eircom network no problem and I got a home page which offered me the opportunity to pay for access there and then via laser or credit card - it also mentioned that that you could buy access cards at various outlets in the airport.

Eh.. IIRC..there's no encryption on eircom hotpsot net's..?
    Not really the best idea to use your credit card if my memory is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Scratchcard from a vendor is the safest.

However if you are lucky enough to have access to the BMI Lounge, WiFi is free there. In the Ana Livia lounge you now have to pay.

Reception is good for me in Check-In Area and upper foodcourt area. Had some problems in the long pier (C). Never tested it in the A pier (I don't do Ryanair I or Ryanair II aka AerLingus if I can avoid it).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Where are the vendors that sell the scratch cards then, the duty free shops?

The home page that I got in pier A last weekend was just a couple of plain login and password boxes and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

robinph wrote:
    Where are the vendors that sell the scratch cards then, the duty free shops?

O'Briens sandwich place in the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

O'Briens sandwich place in the restaurant.
    Great, though they could have advertised that on all the bin ads they have up there!

I was on a PDA, rather than laptop, if that makes the difference.. but all I got was username/pwd .. no fancy graphics, and no other links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

is this service availble at shannon & cork airport?
    and what speeds are there

thanks

• Advertisement

No idea about Cark. Shannon: still completely free,and freely accessible AFAIK.

must try that thanks
    any idea what the speeds are though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

1huge1 wrote:
    must try that thanks
    any idea what the speeds are though?

fast.

lol thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

I used Cork earlier this year and it was an Esat connection that was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 seanpd

The one in Cork airport is no longer free, it is run by BT (BTOpenzone)

Was passing through Dublin airport again at the weekend via pier A. They sell the scratch cards at the coffee shop just past the duty free area for 5euro for an hour.

But I could still not manage to get online as the username and password on the card kept on getting refused by the login page, so that was a fiver wasted. :mad:

Might try and see if I can get my money back off Eircon now for getting a duff login, but I don't hold much hope of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Karoma wrote:
    Eh.. IIRC..there's no encryption on eircom hotpsot net's..?
    Not really the best idea to use your credit card if my memory is right.

Its not like your credit card details are being sent in the clear, the cc transaction is SSL encrypted.

Advertisement